Coconut Oil

Driver695

yup,  it should be cold pressed - don't buy refined coconut oil!!

Actually refined is fine.  I use Spectrum refined coconut oil.  You can search here on the forums and see that ISWF and the moderators here support it.  It is absolutely the only kind of coconut oil I can bring myself to use, because it has no taste or smell.  So you can be sure I double, triple, quadruple checked that one.

The larger point is that coconut oil, unless it says it is refined, will smell and taste like coconut oil.  There are folks who adore that taste, and they like that it flavors everything they cook with it.  There are others of us who can't be in the house when a jar of the unrefined stuff is open.  For us, the refined version is a great option.  Promise.

Actually refined is fine. I use Spectrum refined coconut oil. You can search here on the forums and see that ISWF and the moderators here support it. It is absolutely the only kind of coconut oil I can bring myself to use, because it has no taste or smell. So you can be sure I double, triple, quadruple checked that one.

The larger point is that coconut oil, unless it says it is refined, will smell and taste like coconut oil. There are folks who adore that taste, and they like that it flavors everything they cook with it. There are others of us who can't be in the house when a jar of the unrefined stuff is open. For us, the refined version is a great option. Promise.

Thanks for clarifying Amy - I was under the impression that refined was less nutritious, and had chemicals added during processing? (Can't say I've ever seen or looked for anything but unrefined coconut oil though!)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived