Tempted to stop on day 25...

Hello all. I've been 100% compliant to the Whole 30 plan for 25 days now, but it hasn't been going so well for me. The first two weeks were hell (as I expected they would be), but then at the beginning of the third week I started to see improvements in my energy levels, and I was so excited! Then towards the end of the third week and into the fourth, my energy level has plummeted and my eczema/skin rashes and irritations are worse than they've ever been. I know some of that could be detox and that's why I've continued, but I'm certain now that I'm still eating some foods that are causing my reactions. 

I've lost a very noticeable amount of weight and that's wonderful, but aside from that I really haven't felt any benefits from this program, most likely because I am still eating irritating foods. I'm anxious to finish the W30 and start a new elimination plan (histamine-related I think now). My question is this: given my situation, can I go ahead and start reintroducing some foods according to plan now, or are those last couple of days really that important? I feel like I'm losing time and making myself sicker by sticking to the plan right now. I know I could cut out those additional foods, but I honestly can't fathom cutting more out at this point without adding something back.

So, in summary: If I'm having allergic reactions to foods and feel worse than I did when I started, are five additional days really going to help me, or can I move on?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Part of the Whole30 philosophy is eating things that make you feel better vs. eating things that make you feel worse. 

IMO, with that in mind, it sounds like it would work best for you to reintro now (you'll still be keeping W30 compliant except for what you reintro), and then proceed as you have planned with a low-histamine elimination.  I would only reintro what you're curious about or what you'd like to have at some point in the future on a semi-regular basis. 

• Moderators

You can't get good information doing reintroductions while you are having problems. What you should do is begin to eliminate foods that you think may be causing you problems while maintaining an overall Whole30 diet. Your thought that you deserve to reintroduce some foods before you eliminate others is stinking thinking. The foods you are not eating during a Whole30 make you less healthy. You are having health problems now, so you can only make things worse by reintroducing dairy, grains, etc. You may be eating a limited menu, but even on autoimmune, FODMAP, low histamine protocols, you have a good variety of foods available to you. You just have to put a little effort into creating tasty meals.

Here is the low histamine shopping list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List-Histamine.pdf You've got lots of choices!

• Moderators

As difficult as it sounds, I would try the low histamine protocol -- it's only 5 more days, why muddy the waters with off plan stuff at this point? What I mean is, suppose you start introducing off plan things, and you DON'T get any relief? Then you won't know exactly what the cause was.

Regarding the low energy, and on the off chance it isn't a result of your eczema reaction, are you eating enough fat and high carb vegetables like sweet potato?

Hope you find relief.

Archived