Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

The following is the transcript of texts between my husband and me from yesterday:

Me: Kids are in bed. Dishes are done. Trash is out. Laundry is (mostly) folded. And I cooked two dishes for myself for the week! It has been a productive day! :)

(On the down side, I'm having a reaction to the turkey from last night. I wondered about it last night, confirmed it today. Scratch, scratch.) :(

Going to bed shortly. xoxo

Him: Who are you and what have you done with my wife?

Me: I HAVE TIGER BLOOD! Lol

Him: uh....

Me: I do think this Whole 30 is having an effect on my energy and mood. Today was a good day. :)

Him: Good!

FOUR days in a row of me having enough energy to do dishes and laundry AND make dinner instead of being comatose on the La-Z Boy by 3-4 pm is a minor miracle. I'm still tired, but I have a five month old who has been waking up lots more than usual this week, so I think that is to be expected. These changes are good!

I managed to eat out today without having a reaction! Went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch and had the herb crusted salmon salad, figuring it was the best option. Put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it, and it was delicious, right up to the point that I found a hair in it. Blech. But I was pretty much done by that point anyway. And they comped my meal and my daughter's meal, too, since hers came out wrong twice. Not a great dining experience, but I didn't have a reaction, which was HUGE. :)

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did an early cookup today, since I have to work this Saturday.  I decided to try some more of the Well Fed recipes.  I've been following Nom Nom Paleo for months, but Clothes Make the Girl was new to me.  Finally tried those citrus carnitas everyone was raving about.  Raves were well deserved.  If you haven't made them...go get yourself some pork shoulder, they are awesome.  And I made another batch of chili, because my husband loved it before.  And Paleo Pad Thai, also rocked.  I think I'm going to buy Well Fed.  So close to the end now!  Rock on everyone!

OK, it's taken me a while to muster the time and energy to post!

It's day 23 for me and it's been going well in terms of the fact that I haven't broken my whole 30 but I am definitely not feeling the Tiger Blood. In fact, yesterday and today I'm shattered and just want to get into bed.

Day 5 I felt AMAZING! Bursting with energy, felt light and was really really happy. But I haven't managed to feel that way since. I'm generally feeling good but not fantastic and the last two days I just want to graze all evening :(

I also set myself a challenge of doing a pilates class every day of my Whole 30, so far so good on that front!

In terms of benefits so far, my skin is clearer for sure and feels like butter!
My moods are more even (I don't get home sick like the way I used to)
I've lost a little bit of weight but not a lot which I find odd  given how bad my diet was pre-whole 30.
I'm loving all the cooking, I find it super therapeutic and feel great when I make something really yummy. 

Anyway, everyone seems to be going strong so well done!!

I hope to report some tiger blood very soon :)

I think it sounds like you need to have a plan - either make your whole 30 a whole 45/60 etc, or write down a definite reintro plan. This may help stop you diving in to a pile of whatever you can get your hands on because you feel deprived.

I didn't/don't have an issue with being prepared, I've been doing it for 3 years in some form and the whole 30 was a whole lot less stress for me! I do think of food differently though - I don't think of eating this way as being a deprivation, I think of it as fuelling my body with food (real food, not food like products) that will benefit it in some way. loving the food i'm eating helps.

if you want to succeed, you do have to think about what you're doing. you have a choice. you can choose to not follow a similar plan as a lifestyle, or you can choose to eat whatever and whenever you like. personally, eating this way, being healthy and achieving my goals because of being fuelled properly  is better than eating whatever, but hating my body and not being healthy. I consider how everything I put in my mouth is going to effect me - when not on a whole 30, I still splurge and have treats occasionally, but they have to be worth it!

I definitely feel better eating this way and will not go back to my pre-paleo ways for sure. Every now and again I will probably treat myself to something naughty but ill probably feel like s*** afterwards and will realise my mistake.

I found out that my McDonalds moment was there because someone had McDonalds in the office so my brain is not playing tricks on me after all. Phew.

The biggest change is how my belly feels.  So much better.  No bloating and I have lost a lot of fat around my waist. That has always been my problem, my fat goes to my middle which is bad bad bad. No pangs of diverticulitis which has not flaired up in a while but I was feeling a tug in that area alomst daily and my doc said it was scar tissue that will always be there until they do surgery in the future (she is convinced I will need it eventually) Have not felt any of that in the last 2 weeks.

My skin is smoother and I have no more dryness on my legs, even below the knee my skin is not dry like it always used to be.

It is much easier to choose my meals for a healthier choice and I feel really great about that.

Here is a maybe TMI - I still have loose stool.  Not runny, no cramping or anything, but certainly my poop has changed.  maybe it's the oil and fat, maybe it's the veggies and water?  It's not really a problem, just more of an observation.  In the begining I was constipated, now I go mostly everyday. As long as it is helping my diveticuli problem maybe this is just going to be the norm for me?

I am extremely pleased!  One more week and who knows what else I will feel!!

My hunger is finally coming back. Not sure if that's good or bad...haha! Anyway, for most of this whole30 I've practically had to forse myself to eat because I just wasn't hungry at all. But yesterday I woke up starving! I got in three meals and even a snack after dinner (beef jerky). It's interesting that it comes when I finally started to exercise.

Day 23 is in the books. Unbelievable...

Still doing good, though I'm missing that tiger blood. Haven't found that yet. But my sleep definitely improved. My skin looks like it never did before. Only my psoriasis is still sticking, but I will give that a little more time (and a little more vitamin D supplement). Though I think it might have gotten a tiny bit better.

Only my digestion is still really weird. After another day of diarrhea on Wednesday, I now am "just" gassy. Still don't know why that is. But my digestion has always been chaotic... I just hope I'm gonna be able to judge things when I start to reintroduce... We will see...

Just one more week!!! I'm so gonna miss to come here daily and check with you guys!!!

I'm surprised to report that I really, really thought about going off road today.  I didn't.  And now that it's past dinner and I feel good I'm sure I won't.  But I was getting all cocky in an 'I got this' kinda way.  Wa-POW - the little bad devil that whispers in your ear (sugar dragon is his henchman) jumped all over that.  

I didn't eat enough at breakfast or lunch - which made the chocolate craving or any kind of sugar snack - at 3pm quite strong.  I just wasn't interested enugh in my meals - but I was really interested in something UN Approved!

Sigh.  I guess we can't take off the training wheels yet....

badideabearblogger.jpg

Turkey burgers for dinner, with what sides I'm not sure yet.

Had sashimi for lunch, and avoided soy sauce, etc. had a teensy tiny amount of wasabi, and immediately had a reaction. In fact, my lips are still burning hours later, and it isn't from the heat of the wasabi. After my reaction started, I googled wasabi, and it turns out most 'wasabi' in the US is not wasabi, but a mixture of horseradish, mustard, and starch. And guess that what that starch is made of?!?! Wheat or corn, or both wheat AND corn. So technically I blew my Whole 30 today. :(

On the plus side, I've never had, or at least never NOTICED a reaction to wasabi before, so this is new and relevant information for me.

Now to decide if I'm starting my Whole 30 over or if I just press on. I was planning to go to September 15th anyway, so now I'm thinking I could just go the extra 8 days or so.... On the other hand, it isn't like I blew it on purpose, and I DID learn about something else my body doesn't like..... Thoughts?

I was looking through some paleo recipes and came across a few sweet treats. I must say I was tempted...but just a week left and I want to finish this properly! However, I saved them for later. I plan on continuing pretty close to whole30 afterwards, paleo for sure, but maybe allow a treat once a week. Like the homemade Lara bars or coconut ice cream. Also I'm looking forward to bacon again!

In other news, I had a lot of ...ummm...stuff come out of me today. I immediately felt better after that. So I'm guessing I got rid of some toxins. Yay!

Had sashimi for lunch, and avoided soy sauce, etc. had a teensy tiny amount of wasabi, and immediately had a reaction. In fact, my lips are still burning hours later, and it isn't from the heat of the wasabi. After my reaction started, I googled wasabi, and it turns out most 'wasabi' in the US is not wasabi, but a mixture of horseradish, mustard, and starch. And guess that what that starch is made of?!?! Wheat or corn, or both wheat AND corn. So technically I blew my Whole 30 today. :(

On the plus side, I've never had, or at least never NOTICED a reaction to wasabi before, so this is new and relevant information for me.

Now to decide if I'm starting my Whole 30 over or if I just press on. I was planning to go to September 15th anyway, so now I'm thinking I could just go the extra 8 days or so.... On the other hand, it isn't like I blew it on purpose, and I DID learn about something else my body doesn't like..... Thoughts?

I think for accidental sugar consumption the mods recommend to skip over it....but for anything else, you need to be 30 days free of it, so extending for the extra time would probably be best! You may be able to get around it by doing reintro's for everything but grains/gluten first, so you're wheat and corn free for a full 30 days?

I've got a confession to make. I accidentally ate some bacon that had sugar in it without realising it. I guess I didn't t get the memo and for some ignorant reason I thought that bacon doesn't contain sugar. Boo me. I got angry with myself for being so silly and a little sad (I actually felt like crying) because I was doing so well before that.

I decided to keep on and I know that it's not recommended but I felt that a small amount of bacon is not going to take my sunshine away and I'm going to do another whole30 in a few months again anyway but I will be more educated and organised the second time. That way I will probably also get better results.

Don't beat yourself up about it. We're all human.

Why WOULD you think bacon has sugar in it? Unless it's maple bacon.  That's a good hint.   Sadly it's a good reminder that you have to check everything.  There are a few major rants about why they add soy to tea.

If it makes you feel better... moderators have said before that 'unintentional added sugar in packaged goods' is  not an automatic go back to Day 1 problem.  Unless you binge on it while muttering incoherantly.  Not that I've done that.  Neither is stepping on the scale for example - although I'm thinking that should be changed given how often that rule is flaunted!

Unintentional gluten and dairy are more serious slips because of how delicate the healing process can be.  I realized the meat sauce I was eating had breadcrumbs in it on Day 13.  Forehead slapping moment....In my case I added days to the end so as to ultimately get the full 30 days without gluten/dairy.

But this is a ride your own bike / live your own life situation.  You will get plenty of interesting information / good results bacon or no bacon....

I'm going to extend my Whole30 to September 23rd because of the accidental wheat/corn ingestion in the wasabi. :(

If I already had a healthy gut, I probably wouldn't have worried about it and just pressed on. But because of my allergies, and the impact that tiny amount of wasabi had on me (and is STILL having!), I think I need to do the complete 30 days, minimum.

Lesson learned. It's all in service to healing my gut, and getting healthy is the goal, right? :)

Home Stretch indeed!  I've started making a list of foods to test and possibly foods not to test. 

I've started sleeping better and my asthma is much improved.  I'm actually considering not re-adding dairy for longer than the 30 days even though my whole 30 will officially be over.  This idea suprises me, but I keep thinking it.  I didn't want to give up dairy to begin with.  But I'm thinking that it might be the author of my troubles.  That and evil wheat and sugar, of course. 

But really - this is about getting well.  My gut has a long way to go to heal.  This is just the beginning.  I'm looking forward to being out in the world and still eating in a healthy way.  Of sleeping even better, and of having a healthy body.    I see this as possible for me now. 

What am I thinking of testing?  Safe starches.  Potato and corn, for me, based on the results of my ALCAT blood test at Christmas.  If I don't react negatively and my blood sugar doesn't spike then we might have a winner... ! 

I'm so glad I am doing this! 

Today I woke up and feel like I want NOTHING for breakfast.  Oh I could eat.....I'm actually pretty hungry.  But nothing is appealing to me at the moment.  This happened yesterday too and by 11:00 I was scarfing my M2.  I'm staring in my fridge at all this whole 30 approved food and don't feel like cooking it, preparing it or eating it!! I could always just eat a hard boiled egg, some tomato and basil and some avocado. I finished my chili last night and I don't have any cooked meats in there.

I'm going kayaking and packing a salad.  M3 is steak and veggies.

Back to peeing a lot again.  It seems like it comes on about 3 days out of the week. I like it though! 

I'm throwing some sweet potato in the oven and prepping my salad for M2 plus making enough for another meal tomorrow. Hard boiling some eggs and then getting my butt outside in this gorgeous weather!!

I rewarded myself yesterday with a nice new haircut!

Here at Day 25 I still don't look forward to whole30esque breakfast and still crave bread and jam.  Even today's perfectly timed daily email doesn't give me any ideas that get me excited.   So I guess it's a good thing I'm going to 45 days!  I've decided that Day 31 - 45 I will:

Follow the template exactly - I won't make myself eat it all, but I will make it plate perfect.  The reality is I usually eat whatever is in front of me anyway  :) Currently I think I'm heavy on the protein, light on the vegetables and all over the map with the fats.

Use nuts and fruit as condiments / recipe additions ONLY.  I have leaned on them when my template  / mental strength has missed the mark.  I want to beat myself up about it because I'm sure that has inhibited weight loss, but why do that?  Making it through this without giving up or cheating will be the biggest success i've had in this food life ....ever.

Add scheduled exercise 4 days a week. I've started this... Just need to see it through.  

Notice I"m not ready to make these refinements TODAY ;)  LIke the Whole 30 itself, I have to get my head around it.

Not hungry at all this morning. But Aunt Flo decided to show up, so I'm sure it's because of that. I've never been regular so I never know when it's coming...lucky me. Lol. I have infertility and most likely PCOS. I never have any cramping or bad symptoms though so I'm not complaining. But things have definitely changed since I've been eating better (first with vegan and now paleo). It used to be only once or twice a year but now this year I've had 5 or 6 already...so that's quite a difference! Oh I'm 39 by the way. It just makes me wonder what my like could have been like if I had discovered this earlier....

My body is rebelling all of a sudden.  It's like back to square 1: "25 days are as good as 30.  Also, you need chocolate.  And you're tired."  Ouch!  Trying to stay strong, although yesterday I had an extra meal to make up for it.  I still think I can make it though.  Although my husband wants to go out of town today and I am just scared of eating out side the house!  Maybe I'll pack a salad and some eggs.

5 days to go!!!!!

Feeling ok here, nothing amazing...have dropped about 8 lbs, and definitely some inches.

This weekend has been strange, have been hungry but NOT wanting to eat.....I think I fasted for about 24 hours.

Made ham bone soup today with a homegrown ham bone from the farm. Butternut squash, cauliflower, onion, carrot, celery, bay, salt and pepper.

On deck:

pork butt, pork chop, venison sausage, brussell sprouts, broccoli, green and purple string beans, cabbage and cauliflower from the garden.

I am planning on a dairy day on Saturday.

I think post Whole30, I will continue in this fashion with occasional dairy, and try to keep my carbs pretty low because I have a lot of weight to lose. About 60 lbs to be precise.

Hope everyone has an agreeable Monday.

M

I think post Whole30, I will continue in this fashion with occasional dairy, and try to keep my carbs pretty low because I have a lot of weight to lose. About 60 lbs to be precise.

I've also got about 60 pounds to lose, and I think I'm with you about continuing. I'm also going to see how I do with dairy, with hopes I can have it occasionally. I'm with you in that I'm probably going to proceed to be paleo, with maybe a meal out every 2-3 weeks where I don't have to worry about the occasional non-compliant aspect (specifically, thinking about dinners out at my favorite sushi joint). 

Can hardly believe that we've got just 5 days left of our Whole 30.

I've got at least 45 pounds to lose. I'd like to get back to my wedding weight at least. But even at that weight I could have spared another 10-15 pounds. So we'll see when I get there!

I've already done some experimenting with different foods in my vegan days. I used to be addicted to cheese and ice cream and now I know I can't handle dairy...except butter seems to be ok as long as its not too often. I also did an experiment where I just ate veggies and white potatoes for two days and that was fine. Then I did veggies and brown rice and that was a disaster. I wanted to eat everything in the house! I didn't even last the whole two days! So I know that grains don't work for me. So I don't think I'll try to add back too much. I'd like to stick pretty close to whole30, except add back in bacon and occasional homemade Lara bars or other simple treats like that. I'm not into the muffins or pancakes or stuff like that so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid those. I'll just need to figure out how much nuts and fruit are ok for me to still be able to lose the weight.

I'm going to miss checking in with you guys everyday! This has been great! Maybe we can continue on for a while after to see how the reintros go?

Archived