Joint pain/supplements/ Early stages of Whole 30 (again)/ Will this end?

kel239

Hi everyone,

I'm on my third Whole 30 and on day 5 today.  I started Whole 30 round 2 on June 5th.  Between my end date of July 6th and new start date of July 21, I binged on paleofied junk food and lots of coconut ice cream.  There was some alcohol in there too.  Before July 6th I was training 7-12 hours a week for a competition.  2-3 hrs of strength training, the rest a mix up between kickboxing and martial arts training.  I lightened up to a couple hours the week of my competition (July 7-13) and as soon as my competition was over I started binging on everything paleofied I could.  I some how I  managed to get to a state where I look and feel worse then I did in two weeks than I did before my first Whole 30. 

Since I started paying attention to how I feel again I have HORRIBLE joint pain and decreased flexibility. I figured that this might be from taking a break from training and gaining some weight my body isn't used to. It's been about 5 days and I know that isn't long.... but I am finding it excruciating to: get out of bed and find the motivation to get my training schedule back on point. My neck and back hurt horribly and my muscles hurt. I only did 1 hour of intense exercise two days ago and I still feel it. I also had NO energy teaching my classes yesterday and could barely even demonstrate what I needed done.

Does anyone have any suggestions on joint pain supplements that might help?  And also, can you tell me if you experienced this and it went away after a week or two?

I know I should try and wait things out but if there is anything I can do to help speed up eliminating this issues, I would like to.  I've got a compeition in 3 weeks and I need to get my game face back on, and it's really bothering me.  Waking up to go train at 5:30 has been basically eliminated due to how I feel.I feel so bad that I'm wondering if it's ever going to go away.... like I aged ten years in 2 weeks time! 

• Moderators

You might could convince a doctor to inject you with cortisone to mask the damage of intense training, competition, and binge-eating induced inflammation, but in my experience, the cortisone shot wears off after about a week. If you use that week to train intensely given where you are right now, you would be in worse shape by the time your pain came back.

Glucosamine is a commonly recommended supplement to deal with joint issues, but research suggests that it is effective only in slowing collagen degradation, not restoring or curing problems. See http://examine.com/supplements/Glucosamine/

Thanks for suggestion! I will look into it. I'm seriously hoping that the inflammation will decrease as a result of changing my diet. I've also been trying to drink a lot of apple cider and lemon like water to help alkaline things. I don't think I want to do a shot... I'm definitely one of those people who will go " oh, I feel better" then proceed to kill myself training and end up twice as bad. Thanks!

I noticed a great increase in DOMS during my first week of the whole 30 and its maybe because I normally sip aminos during training. It sounds to me like your body is just fatigued and asking for a recovery week. I take a joint supplement as I do karate and it was actually joint pain ( arthritis runs in my family) that brought me to paleo. It was really bad as I had gluten while on holiday but has disappeared now about ten days in. Maybe get the diet on track, give yourself a break from training and just stretch and I bet you start feeling brilliant again after a week.

Easy for me to say though, I find resting very difficult too!

Ps , bathing in Epsom salts helps!

Archived