Nuts and Nut butters as Snack Proteins?

My husband and I are doing our first Whole30.  I have to eat breakfast very early before work but can't break for lunch until almost 6 hours after breakfast.  I just can't make it that far on breakfast alone.  I can work a small mid-morning snack into my work schedule but it is tough to prepare a protein for that at times.  Is there a reason why nuts or nut butters (big raw cashew butter fan here!) don't suffice as proteins for a small snack like that.  I would eat them with celery, a banana, etc.  Appreciate your help!

An ideal snack should be a mini-meal, so fat + protein + veg. Nut butter on celery would probably be ok, a banana less ok (don't let fruit push more nutritious food off your plate)... A tin of fish with a few veg is good, though can upset people nearby (!), or a piece of leftover chicken with veg, maybe a little mayo? Think "meal" rather than "Snack" :-)

How long have you been on your whole30? I was surprised that after a few weeks, I could easily go 6-7 hours between meal one and meal two. During the school year, I try to eat meal one before I leave the house-which means eating no later than 6:00-I don't stop for lunch until 11:30- and I am usually fine! I always keep some nuts and some cut up veggies just in case I need something though.

Nuts and nut butters are considered fats, not proteins, on a Whole30.  As Roz said, a Whole30 snack is a mini-meal including at least a protein and healthy fat. Think of a piece of chicken with olives, tuna with paleo mayo, hard boiled egg with your cashew butter on celery.

I am definitely trying to look at this as a mini-meal; however, time and work make my ability to have even a mini-meal very limited.  Using the nut butter and veggies is expeditious enough to accommodate my job.  I am eating breakfast at 6:15.  I eat as much as I am able, but I don't have the stomach at that time for a very large meal.  I have no lunch break until 1:30 p.m.  I was hoping I might be able to get "double credit" for the nut butter as both a protein and a fat if I am having it with veggies.

Archived