Keeping track of H20 intake -- problem solved :)

This may be an absurd thing to post, but for people like me, it might help. Who are people like me? -- people who carry around a water bottle all day because they want to stay hydrated and drink more water, but who rarely take the cap off the bottle more than once or twice an hour. (Carrying a bottle of water does not = drinking a bottle of water, now does it?)

Here's what I've started to do. I write on the side of the bottle in permanent marker when I started on the bottle. If, two hours later, it is not gone, I down the rest of it and start a new bottle -- on which I write the time I started it.

Nothing ground-breaking for most people -- just for "people like me."

Great idea. i have a water bottle that has a filter in it. You just fill it with tap water and it filters it as you drink. However, like you, :ph34r: I'm capable of carrying it round and forgetting to actually use it :ph34r:  Now I decide how many bottles i need to drink a day and put that many rubber bands round it. Each time I need to refill it, I remove a band. i just have to make sure they're all gone by the end of the day. Visual reminders really do help :)

Now I decide how many bottles i need to drink a day and put that many rubber bands round it. Each time I need to refill it, I remove a band. i just have to make sure they're all gone by the end of the day. Visual reminders really do help.

This is brilliant!  I have a reusable stainless steel bottle and have been trying to think of a visual way to track my water intake.  Now off to find some rubber bands.

Kirsteen, that is a really great idea! I hate using so many plastic bottles. Ok. I'm going to order to water bottle with a filter in it right now. I used to have a refillable bottle that I'd bring to work, but it got too difficult to bring gallons of water to fill it from. All we have are drinking fountains (and a cafe that sells more water bottles), and the drinking fountain water tastes awful. I'm assuming that the filter will make the H20 from the drinking fountain taste better and will help remove the stuff in the water that I don't want to be drinking. Thanks!

I've realized that stressing over my water intake is rather doing the opposite of what it should. It's like the stress negates the benefits. So I did a but more research and found that it really doesn't have to be something you force. I've been major sure I get 60-90oz a day because there's so many sources saying different things. According to an article in Women's Health magazine, you should only drink water when you're thirsty for it. The body knows what it needs when it needs it. It also suggests to check your pee. If its dark yellowish or brownish, then you're not gettin enough, if its crystal clear or only have a slight tint of color (which was my case) then you're trying too hard and drinking too much water (which can have some adverse effects) and its just light yellow, then you're fine. I weight about 125-127lbs (I don't care about weight anymore so I don't own a scale) and I've been trying so hard everyday to make sure I drink at least half my body weight and its exhausting and stressful! Now I don't care, I drink when I'm thirsty and don't when I'm not. I'd say I get in about 40iz a day- my pee is not too light or dark anymore. I'm balanced and stopped stressing about it. When I work or do yoga, I'm thirsty more often and therefore drink more water. I think we should just listen to our bodies instead going by some standard 8x8 rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived