Whole30 #2 - toriellie

toriellie

I finished my first Whole30 in mid-April and was very happy with my results and how I felt.  I'm going to start #2 on August 1. 

I wish I'd kept a diary of meals and symptoms/reactions last time, so I am going to use this blog to track my food and reactions, if any. 

Dinner last night:  steak, spicy eggplant, and corn all on the grill, and watermelon. With a chocolate chaser. 

Too much chocolate to eat before Thursday... might have to give some away.

Pantry is seriously lacking in olives.  Favorite black olives:  Trader Joe's.  Santa Barbara Olive Company is second. 

Did a ~ one mile walk/run with my dog Libby this morning before work - yay me!  Would have run a little more without Libby, but she needs to get in shape too.  Even took the time to stretch afterwards. 

It's a long way from four loops around the neighborhood to the Tinkerbell 10k, but it's a start! 

Breakfast today:  sweet potato with coconut oil, leftover sirloin steak, sliced peach, big ol' glass of water

Lunch yesterday:  sliced ham, cherry tomatoes, two cucumbers, a carrot, half a huge avocado, watermelon, a plum.  Lots of cherries and watermelon and some dark chocolate with blueberries for snacks.  Dinner last night was egg salad sandwich with lettuce on Udi's GF bread, more cherries and watermelon.  Dessert was, um, ice cream.  Have to finish it by tonight and the pint was nearly full. 

Breakfast today was sweet potato with coconut oil, salami (meat drawer was looking bare), watermelon, and a peach. 

Lunch today:  sliced roast beef, half an avocado, three cucumbers, a carrot, cherry tomatoes, cherries and plums. 

Must make shopping list.  Need olives!  And ghee.  And steak. 

Surprising side effect of discussing the Whole30:  Nobody wants my extra (really good) dark chocolate bar that I won't be able to eat before tomorrow.  Apparently, I've inspired others to go off sugar.  Good for them... but I really need to get rid of this thing before tomorrow!

Day 1 - so far, so good.  Breakfast:  sweet potato with coconut oil, leftover steak, yellow plum, water. 

ETA:

Lunch:  sliced roast beef, several cherry tomatoes, two diva cukes, two carrots, small avocado, cantaloupe

Dinner:  sausage, tomato and olive sauce over zoodles, plum, fig

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm.  Much better at doing the Whole30 than blogging about it. 

breakfast today:  sweet potato soup with coconut butter - no protien :-(  nothing in the house.  Will be grocery shopping today.

Lunch:  egg salad, cucumbers, handful of nuts

Dinner: grilled London broil, grilled eggplant, sauteed crookneck squash

Snack:  nectarine leather

Breakfast:  sweet potato with coconut oil, leftover steak, watermelon

Lunch:  deli-sliced turkey breast, 2 cucumbers, 2 carrots, handful of olives, half an avocado, watermelon

Dinner will be:  steak salad - leftover steak, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, kale, olives, avocado. EVOO and rice vinegar dressing.  Cantaloupe.

No actual exercise in the last week, except the quarter-mile dog walk a few times.  Rather than doing a walk/run training and stretches, I've been lifting heavy things and doing a lot of physical work around the house.  Canning and picking fruit and tiling a bathroom floor don't necessarily target specific muscle groups, but they definitely burn calories and my muscles can sure feel the use they've been getting!

• 5 months later...

Day Zero - Whole30 Number 3! 

I'm excited to be doing this with my friend A again, and with my first-time Whole30er friend Jen who lives on the other side of the country from me.

I'm really looking forward to trying new recipes this time.  I made mayo and cauli-rice the other night - yum!  The first couple times I made mayo I wasn't that excited about it.  This time I used the immersion blender recipe in Nom Nom Paleo and I swear it was the easiest thing I've ever made.  And yummy!  The cauli rice was also Michelle's recipe and it was good too - even my husband said he'd eat it again willingly. 

I am going to be eliminating nightshades this time around, and I may eliminate eggs and nuts as well.  I may be giving a lot of eggs away at work - I have four chickens!  One is laying now and two of them are going to start laying again any minute.  I'm going to be drowning in organic eggs!  I'll be the crazy neighborhood chicken lady, running around trying to push my eggs.  Hahaha.

Farmers' Market first thing in the morning, then the grocery store for a couple things, then home to plan my recipes for the week. 

The first time I did the Whole30 I lost about 22 pounds or so, and continued to lose until I plateaued at about 40 pounds lost.  I regained about six pounds after a Christmas sugar binge, but have lost a couple of those.  I would love to lose more weight this time, but I'm really doing it to figure out what ELSE my body doesn't like me to eat.  I wasn't able to do a real re-intro the first time (and I only lasted two weeks on #2) so this time I want to be very diligent with my reintro. 

Foods I think I may be reacting to:

Corn

nightshades

eggs

nuts

coconut or sweet potato - or both?

avocado or olives - or both?

Foods I know I react to:

dairy

wheat/gluten

cashews

citrus, tropical fruit, melons

Well, this ought to be enough information to help me when I'm trying to remember what I wanted out of this go-round. 

I feel kind of silly talking to myself.  :-)

I am going to be eliminating nightshades this time around, and I may eliminate eggs and nuts as well.  I may be giving a lot of eggs away at work - I have four chickens!  One is laying now and two of them are going to start laying again any minute.  I'm going to be drowning in organic eggs!  I'll be the crazy neighborhood chicken lady, running around trying to push my eggs.  Hahaha.

Gosh I wished you lived in my neighborhood. I spend a significant amount of my food budget on my eggs.

Best of luck on your 3rd round!

Gosh I wished you lived in my neighborhood. I spend a significant amount of my food budget on my eggs.

Best of luck on your 3rd round!

I used to live in your neighborhood (well, your city, anyway :-) ) but that doesn't help either of us with our egg issues!  I lived downtown, Magnolia, Ballard/Fremont border, and Greenwood.  Love Seattle! 

Today is Day Zero-A.  Turns out none of us were quite prepared this morning.  Today is prep day, and we will all have something Whole30 appropriate to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning. 

My fridge is stuffed full of veggies I bought at the farmers' market this morning.  My freezer is stuffed full of grass-fed beef and pork we bought from my husband's cousin. I am cooking a roast tonight so there will be leftovers for breakfasts during the week. 

I'm feeling pretty comfortable about starting tomorrow. 

Now it's time for a nap.

I used to live in your neighborhood (well, your city, anyway :-) ) but that doesn't help either of us with our egg issues!  I lived downtown, Magnolia, Ballard/Fremont border, and Greenwood.  Love Seattle! 

I'm actually on the other side of the lake but it's easier to say Seattle. ;)

If you ever bring your chickens back to the area definitely let me know. ;)

Whole30 Day 1:

So far, a very uneventful day.  Breakfast was leftover roast beef and carrots and a handful of nuts and dried fruit.  Lunch was more of the same.  Dinner will be slow cooker Korean short ribs (Nom Nom Paleo).  I've made these before and they are amazing!  Next time I am going to make a double batch so we have leftovers.  Not sure what I'll have with the short ribs - maybe coconut cauli rice, maybe salad and broccoli.  Still have a couple hours to figure that out. 

I am going to roast some veggies tonight for breakfast the next couple days.  Yum! 

Dinner was:  Korean short ribs, spinach with lemon and pine nuts, and a huge salad with avocado and homemade dressing made with homemade mayo, and a handful of nectarines I dried last summer.  Yum! 

Vegetables = not roasted.  Maybe Tuesday.

Whole30 Day 2!

(starting weight:  166.6 - forgot to weigh myself before I started, so I did this morning so I would have a baseline)

Breakfast:

Sweet potato with coconut oil

leftover roast beef

hot tea with coconut milk

Snack:

small handful dried nectarines and pears (was in the middle of a project and starving and couldn't stop to make/eat lunch)

Lunch:

more leftover roast beef

2 carrots

1 piece celery

one small avocado

handful of black olives

small banana

Snack:

(yeah, not enough food for lunch and had to stop at the grocery store before going home)

about ten organice mixed nuts - walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts - bought a tiny bit at the store to tide me over til dinner

Dinner:

Pork chops

Fried apples

broccoli with ghee

half an avocado

handful of black olives

Soaked almonds today to make more almond milk - too lazy tonight.  I will make it in the morning.  There's a cup or so left, so not an emergency.

Day 3 :-)

Made another quart of almond milk this morning.  Brought some to work to use here and also to let a co-worker whose daughter is DF and drinks almond milk try it. 

Breakfast:

small sweet potato with coconut oil

sliced turkey

banana

Snack:

Handful of trail mix - walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, raisins, dried nectarine (not the nectarine I dried at home, it came with the trail mix)

Lunch:

sliced turkey

olives

2 carrots

1 stalk celery

1/3 English cucumber

Dinner:

steak!

salad with veggies and avocado and Nom Nom Paleo's ranch dressing

roasted brussels sprouts, beets, carrots and parsnips

Roasted a whole tray of beets and carrots/parsnips and another of brussels sprouts  so I have a starchy veggie option for breakfast and roasted veggies for lunches.  And three or four days worth of leftover steak for breakfasts - yum!

I need to figure out a breakfast option that does not include eggs or sweet potato - time to give the SPs a break.

Some comments/questions:

- is the sliced turkey deli meat? Be sure it's compliant: no gluten, carrageenan or other nasties.

- the need for snacks can indicate that your earlier meals need to be bigger. Try playing around with your protein, veg and fat portions until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours. In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat (nuts are a fat source on a Whole30).

Some comments/questions:

- is the sliced turkey deli meat? Be sure it's compliant: no gluten, carrageenan or other nasties.

- the need for snacks can indicate that your earlier meals need to be bigger. Try playing around with your protein, veg and fat portions until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours. In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat (nuts are a fat source on a Whole30).

Hi GFChris,

I get the turkey from my co-op.  I believe it's Applegate Farms, but couldn't swear to it.  It turkey breast sliced at the co-op and the ingredients are Turkey, Salt, Water.  I know the pre-sliced turkey has carageenan, but this has a different texture and I don't think it does. 

I was thinking along the same lines as you about the snacks.  I think I've needed to snack for a couple reasons.  One, I have had a cup of black tea or coffee with coconut milk for the past few mornings.  I haven't had coffee or black tea regularly since my first W30 a year ago, and I think what I'm feeling is the caffeine aggravating my ulcer (thank you, naproxen), which to me feels like that I Have To Eat Now Or I Will Die feeling.  The only thing that makes that feeling go away is eating, so it's hard to tell if that's what it is or not.

The other thing is that I think I have gotten in the habit of snacking without really realizing it, so I didn't really notice that my breakfast wasn't enough until I started the W30 and started to pay closer attention to what I'm eating and when. 

Lastly, I think I need to make sure I can eat my lunch at a reasonable time, and make sure I'm eating enough at lunch as well.  The last two days I haven't been at a point where I can stop what I'm doing and eat my lunch when it's lunch time.  My morning snacks have been shortly before my usual lunch time (though I was hungry for a while before I had the snack) but since I wasn't able to have lunch I had something to tide me over.  Not ideal - again, not prepared with good snacks because I didn't think I ate snacks.  :-)  Apparently, I do. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to be defensive, just saying that I was aware I need to do some fine-tuning.  Also, the last two days have been a combination of unusual events at work that kept me away from my lunch and my not being prepared.  I can't do anything about work "fires" (though I think I'm safe for a while now) but I can be better prepared, and I think I am.  And I will stop with the caffeine in the morning and see if that changes anything. 

I have a bison Epic bar that I need to bring for a snack emergency.  I did have access to Larabars but didn't want the sugar bomb.  I have been hoarding my last Epic bar because the only flavor I like is bison and apparently, that's everyone else in town's favorite flavor as well because it's been sold out for weeks. (if you are a Seinfeld fan, this is like the "sponge-worthy" episode - I don't want to just use my last bison bar frivolously!)

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.  I appreciate it!  I am putting a lot of energy and though into doing my W30 and if you're concerned that I may be sabotaging myself, I definitely want to know. 

Thanks! 

Tori

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.  I appreciate it!  I am putting a lot of energy and though into doing my W30 and if you're concerned that I may be sabotaging myself, I definitely want to know. 

I don't think you're being defensive or sabotaging yourself - just trying to give you feedback to have the best Whole30 experience possible.  :)

Day 4!

Breakfast:

Leftover steak

Leftover roasted carrots, parsnips and beets

Frozen blueberries with coconut milk and a big pinch of coconut flakes.

Lunch:

Leftover steak

Salad with celery, watermelon radish, carrots, paleo ranch

Olives

Leftover Brussels Sprouts

An orange

Not Really A Snack, But:

A packet of Justin's almond butter and some OJ so I could take the elderberry capsules I bought to help fend off my cold.

Dinner:

Soup with mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil with garlic, celery, carrot, onion, ghee, and mushroom broth (Pacific brand) poured over leftover steak bites with green onions on top

Banana

**It was supposed to be burger night, but I don't feel like eating real food.  I sauteed the mushrooms for Andy's burger with mushrooms and avocado, then built my soup around them. 

Woke up with a sore throat.  :-(  Feel okay, just tired.  I'm going to head home from work early and see if I can sleep off any potential cold that might be trying to catch me. 

I bought some elderberry capsules at the co-op and took some as soon as I got back in the car.  Every single elderberry and zinc product had either some form of sweetener or alcohol or other stuff, so I bought the one with no sugar but with rice starch.  Since I am fighting a new-to-me sugar dragon, I made the decision that it's more important to me and for me that I get the elderberry in me so I don't get sick than to avoid the elderberry completely because of a tiny amount of rice starch for a few days.  I am pretty sure I don't react to rice at all, and I decided it was the best option. I didn't get any zinc, though. 

Archived