Handing out Nutritional Advice

I really didn't know where to post this question so I thought this might be the best place.

I am an Optometrist and I practice in a small rural town in Alabama. My practice mainly consists of lower income families who are plagued by conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and childhood obesity to name a few. I am not their primary physician or family doctor but I am often times the only doctor these people see. (If I am not the only Doctor they see they are often poorly controlled with their current medical therapy)

There have been several situations where I have come really close to giving out nutritional advice but I just don't feel comfortable since I am an Eye Doctor. A lot of these families are on government assistance for food and while they can get meats, veggies, and fruits with that, I feel that often times they opt for the quick, convenient snacks in a package, frozen meals, and highly processed foods. Are these people going to do a Whole30? Probably not (I wish they would) but I would consider it a win if they would just stop eating junk. Am i out of place? They are not going to hear it from their medical doctor, and at least I am not just some random stranger telling them about this. 

Are there any of you in the medical profession (doctors, nurses, optometrists, dentists, ANYONE) who may be in a similar situation and how did you handle it.

How would you approach these situations?, what would you say?, or would you not say anything? Am I trying to save the world?

I feel that turning a blind eye would not help anything whereas if I did start to approach this with some people I may inspire them to eat better. 

How would you feel if your eye doctor gave you nutritional advice?

My eye doctor did! He told me I have signs of macular degeneration, some kind of fat deposits in the eyes. He suggested a low fat high fiber diet, so I ignored that :P , but have taken other steps to try to make sure I am healthier. I also take vitamins for my eyes. Somehow the thought of being blind rather than just dropping dead of a heart attack had more of a profound effect on me. And diabetes and high blood pressure effect the eyes, don't they? It makes sense, even from just an eye view (see what I did there?) to talk about good nutrition.

I am in health care and my pts almost always have pain, mobility issues, etc and most are very low income. From my position, I do feel comfortable about globally saying diet is key to good health and suggest limiting processed foods and increasing veggies. Some ask for specifics and again, it is a global statement re processed foods as I am not a nutritionist and it is not my role to give diet advise-I always refer back to primary MD. I surely don't think I am giving harmful advise to avoid processed foods. I also don't hesitate discussing how weight loss affects painful joints(morbidly obese folks). I ask folks to do their homework and ask questions, seek out a nutritionist, look online etc and try to get folks involved in their health care, and accountable.

I see too many patients spending lots of money on stuff and nothing on their health-very frustrating as health care gets more and more expensive with conditions we can prevent!!!! Most of my clients are looking for a quick fix, pill or something that they don't have to get involved in. Very sad.

Pay the farmer now, or pay the doctor much more later.

My eye doctor talks a great deal about overall health, not just eye health.  In some ways he does a more thorough intake on me regarding meds and conditions than my family practice doc!  He happens to be huge on exercise, so he talks about it (incessantly :lol: ) but I would bet real money that if he got into Whole30 he'd have posters of the meal template all over his office.

So - I'm not a medical professional, but based on how my eye doctor is, I'd say go for it!

You might also research what people can afford to/are allowed to get on WIC and food stamps - it's not much, and much of what is allowed on WIC is pretty devastating to our health, particularly from a Whole30 perspective.  IMO it's not aimed at helping women and children so much as it is aimed at dumping excess products created by farm subsidies of certain kinds of products (dairy and grains in particular). 

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's the more sensitive situations that I don't feel comfortable with...ie the childhood obesity situation. Which  unfortunately I do see a lot of. I know it has everything to do with inactivity and what they are eating. It breaks my heart to see these kids so young and already so overweight. As far as the adults go I think it's easier to talk to them about it because they already know they are sick...and for the most part know they don't take care of themselves because they admit it to me.

I think I will research what is allowed on WIC and see if I can't come up with some sort of pocket guide to hand out as I am talking to them. I think something visual that they can read and look at will go a little further than just telling them by mouth.

Books, handouts & pamphlets in the waiting room. People are waiting and bored, they just might read stuff :)

I totally second this.  Maybe a note to ask the doctor for more information, too.  Perhaps you could also talk to Whole9 about endorsing them.

Archived