1st W30 - i have no idea what i'm doing

rollo

Day 3 is off to a good start - M1 - Applegate sausage (i read the ingredients, it's compliant), bok choy, and avocado.

Not feeling major urges to stray.  I think it helps I read an article this morning about inflammation causing heart disease.  It's a lot easier to not stray when that info is in recent memory.

i DID have a dream where I ate bad food and drank soda - and that was only after Day 2!!  I remember thinking that it was non-compliant and I hadn't realized what I was doing!  So, nice to know I at least felt BAD about straying in my dream.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still Day 3 - was away from home, at a Coffee Bean - drinking just water - and realized that for 5 minutes i was thinking about a #6 at Wendy's.  and i went through all those same negative thoughts "i can start again tomorrow, etc"  Got in my car and drove to WF.  came home and heated up some Applegate sausage and egg with bok choy and red bell pepper. (olives for fat).  added some spices, some cholula.  and as i was eating i thought "wow, this is actually really good"    i don't think it's that my taste buds have adjusted because it's only day 3, but it's great that i not only ate with full compliance but enjoyed the tastes involved.

I think I can make Day 3.

Still Day 3 - was away from home, at a Coffee Bean - drinking just water - and realized that for 5 minutes i was thinking about a #6 at Wendy's. and i went through all those same negative thoughts "i can start again tomorrow, etc" Got in my car and drove to WF. came home and heated up some Applegate sausage and egg with bok choy and red bell pepper. (olives for fat). added some spices, some cholula. and as i was eating i thought "wow, this is actually really good" i don't think it's that my taste buds have adjusted because it's only day 3, but it's great that i not only ate with full compliance but enjoyed the tastes involved.

I think I can make Day 3.

Kudos on redirecting yourself to WF and then home to a yummy meal!

Day 3 - successful.  had a class to teach and afterwards all the students wanted to go out for food and drinks. 

i said thanks, but can't right now.  went home and cooked up some skirt steak, red & orange peppers, bok choy, an egg, and some olives.  add some spices and some cholula, and had a decent dinner.    was still a bit hungry so heated up an Applegate sausage, and ate a couple of pieces and went  huh, i'm actually NOT that hungry.  didn't finish it.  later, felt  hungry again, so had an apple.  only fruit of the day.

Anyway, Day 3 done. 

Crossing my fingers for Day 4.

You're struggling, but getting past it, which is great!  Every time you deny the impulse to blow it off and redirect yourself with compliant food, you're making it easier to do the same next time.  :)

I, too, think olives as a main fat source may not be enough fat to keep you fully satisfied between meals.  I'd think they'd get pretty old after awhile, too.  (I like olives, but not that often!  But that's just me.) 

You may not realize just how much fat is "okay" and healthy with this eating plan.  To give you an idea: My breakfasts are often greens sauteed in a tablespoon or two of ghee or coconut oil, 3-4 eggs, and coffee with about a 1/4 c. of full-fat coconut milk.  The meat I have for other meals is often in a fat-rich homemade bone broth, and the veggies I have with it will again have 1-2 T. of ghee.  If I'm really hungry, I may mash a banana with 3-4 T. of almond butter, then mix in 1-2 T. of coconut oil.  That's a lot of fat in a day, yet I'm definitely dropping weight, or at least inches, based on the way my clothes are fitting and comments by others.  

I suppose it's possible to overdue the fat, but I rather suspect the limit is a lot higher than most people would believe, coming as we are from a long time period where healthy dietary fat has been so horribly maligned and misunderstood.

Well, i AM kinda hungrier than i feel i should be right now.

i'm not in any danger of driving to Wendy's or getting chinese food or anything, but i'm like i shouldn't be this hungry so soon after breakfast.

maybe the olives aren't enough, and yes, i'm getting tired of 'em.

so, i do need to study what other fats i have. (i don't drink coffee, so coffee & coconut is out)

Do you like avocados? That's a great fat source. I can add guacamole to just about anything :)

Have you tried coconut butter? When I'm eating something lighter, like a salad at lunch I'll add a side of berries with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut butter. It's amazing how filling that can be. One of my all-time favorite breakfasts on W30 is a sweet potato with sausage and blueberries and some coconut butter.

When it's overwhelming to think about the Whol30, just think about today. Today you're eating clean and whole foods to take care of yourself. That's what it's all about. Today.

ginsinnot - i do like avocados, but went with olives cuz i found myself getting tired of avocados :)   my fats are usually one of those two. 

Darlene - i actually DO cook all my meals in ghee, so there's some fat there in addition to either the olives or the avocados.  that said, i can probably up the fat level a bit.

amberino21 - thanks for all of your help and support!

just ate my 2nd meal.  i feel full.  but found myself depressed during lunch.  i wasn't so much craving alternate food, as i was bummed i wasn't enjoying my food like i do when i eat crap. 

i'm in no danger - at the moment - of running out and grabbing bad food today.  but, the healthier food isn't as fun to eat and i'm acutely aware of it right now. (and SUPER tired) :(

well, i'm not proud of this, but i found myself depressed and tired and just thinking of crappy foods.  it was like i was in a trance. horrible. 

i ended up going to WF near work and finding some fully cooked italian sausages (certified organic, no added sugar).  i nuked and ate 1.

not sure how much of that was hunger or feeling i needed to eat SOMETHING that tasted like crappy food.  but it helped. 

It sounds like the mental/emotional aspect of eating healthy food is the part that's going to be most difficult for you, rollo.  My best advice would be to go to the sections of It Starts With Food that talk about how grains, sugar, dairy, and legumes work in the body (and mind!), and keep reading those sections until it's really really clear that you NEED to do this, for your overall health, well being, and quality of life. 

Also, don't let yourself think "I can never have [favorite food] again." because the Whole30 is primarily about gathering information about how various foods make you feel, not a lifelong commitment.  That may take awhile, and that's okay.  Just for now, make a pledge to be faithful to this 30 days AND to follow the re-introduction advice, and don't think beyond that.  It may be too much, emotionally, to think in terms of big lifetime changes in how you eat.  Just let the program work its magic, even if you don't believe right now that it will, and see how you feel when you're done. 

As for being super tired at the moment, remember that that's entirely normal and is, in fact, and excellent sign that great changes are beginning to take place.  Don't buy into the ego's lie that if you feel bad, that somehow means the Whole30 is not good for you.  Certainly, make sure you're eating enough protein and fat, and if you have underlying conditions, take that into account, but barring something that needs medical attention, discomfort is an excellent sign that your body is cleaning out, it's temporary, and once you're through it, you're just that much better off than before. 

Hang in there!  :)

thanks for that suggestion, Darlene.  I haven't checked out that site, but will. 

I DO have Well Fed.  I haven't cooked in decades (if what you call what i did decades ago "cooking"), so I'm still going with what's simple and quick.  I imagine I'll be ready to try harder stuff as time goes on.  I also tend to be really busy, as I'm usually out in the evening on some planned activity. 

But I'm on day 6 and so far, it's smooth sailing.

i wasn't so much craving alternate food, as i was bummed i wasn't enjoying my food like i do when i eat crap.

I know exactly what you mean! I see everyone saying things like, "Home-cooked food just tastes so much better than restaurant food!" and I'm thinking, "...Uh, no it doesn't!" Although most of the stuff I cook tastes just fine, *nothing* compares to a Bloomin' Onion from Outback Steakhouse! (Or pretty much any of my favorite restaurant foods.)

Maybe I've just got defective taste buds?

angelajl - thank goodness you don't live in LA, otherwise i'm like "DARLIN' WE'RE GETTING BLOOMIN ONIONS TONIGHT!" 

but yes overall, i don't think my food tastes better than the crappy food i've gotten elsewhere

BUT

i'm starting to care less about that.

and it helps that on day 6, i find my water consumption is going up, and i kinda feel more awake than normal.  (if that makes sense)

day 6 done.  even drove by a wendy's with no problem :)

when i got home around 10, i was like "i think i'll heat up a [compliant] hot dog"

then i realized, actually, i'm not really hungry. i'm just used to eating late at night - or whenever i get home from whatever's happening in the evening.

so, not eating anything. 

24 more to go

woke up to Day 7 - ready to go.

those first 4 days were super tough, it's DEFINITELY gotten easier.

ETA: i just realized i didn't hit the snooze button this morning!  is this too early to start having these benefits?

Archived