1st W30 - i have no idea what i'm doing

rollo

Well, I'm on Day 1 - and having not cooked anything for YEEEEARS (i don't count microwaving as cooking), I found myself at a bit of a loss today trying to cook my first meal.

even took the day off of work so i wouldn't feel stressed (this weekend was busy and i didn't get to the "Sunday Cookathon" that i plan on doing in the future)

My first meal ended up being some ground beef with eggs, kale, spinach, and avocado. 

It's very possible that will also be my next couple of meals. 

Interesting lessons I learned in just cooking my first meal.  1)  Not all my burners work properly.  Looks like I'll need to talk to the landlord about it.*  2)  I don't need to put the ghee in the fridge...would've been easier to get ghee out of the jar than the chipping at it i had to do  3)  i can probably cook it a LOT faster next time

This isn't just a major change in my eating. It's a major change in my lifestyle.  I'm okay with it (and let's face it, i should be able to cook my own damn meals)...but it's gonna take me a while to get a handle with it all.

-- Rollo

* I'm not proud that I didn't know that. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me like you did really well. Try and plan ahead, not having something compliant to hand leads to disaster. I keep my meals really simple , sometimes just soft boiled eggs with avocado and some ready to eat prawns ( shrimp) . When you do cook , make extra. Freeze a portion and keep a portion for the next day. Then, when busy or tired , you will have something handy in the freezer. Another handy tip is frozen fish portions. I can get them without any additives and I just throw a couple in the oven and eat with some wilted spinach or salad.

Terrific start and good for you for going for it!

Prior to my Whole30, I had got out of the habit of cooking for over a decade, as I'm married to someone who cooks professionally. Plus, I had lost the patience for it. When I took on the Whole30, I decided to take on the cooking at home.  I'm so glad I did: it's been one of the side-benefits of completing a Whole30 - I've rebuilt my confidence in cooking again, and, surprisingly, I enjoy the process now!  

I don't know that I'll ever develop my husband's talent of taking anything in the cabinets and refrigerator, whipping it together and making it taste good. I'm fine now with doing everything by recipes.

Day 1 ...didn't work out as planned.  Had a compliant M1 and M2. 

Then, things turned for the worse...Mondays, I leave work at 5 and don't get home until 10:30.    In addition, my Monday night went bad and I felt anxious and upset.  Throw in a headache from not having any caffeine today, and by the time I got home, my resolve, willpower and planning went out the window.    And then bad food went into the mouth. 

Restarting day # 1 tomorrow :(

Ah Rollo, I personally didn't give up caffeine. I have to feed a family of 7 and it would be just too much to ask of myself. To be successful maybe you would be better to put off starting until you have some strategies in place like having a prepared meal for that time between 5 and 10 while you are travelling. Fill your home with compliant food, clear out , use up or give away the rest. I can't stress enough the importance of planning for success. Everywhere I go ,I have food with me, so I never get caught out, tired and hungry, with no good food choices. You can do this! I promise it's worth it : ))

Day 1 (revisited) -

I'm kinda surprised that it's almost 8 pm and I think I made it today.

M1 - heated up some leftover egg/ground beef/kale/spinach and added avocado.

M2 - canned tuna on top of a spinach/greens mix with avocado.

M3 - halibut and broccoli and olives.

no soda all day - took a couple of aspirin cuz of no-caffeine headache - and been drinking water.

There were lots of times where i thought, eh, i'll eat like normal and just start tomorrow.  and even thought, well if i may not be w30 compliant but if i eat a SAD crappy dinner, at least i'm eating right 2/3 of the day.  but i managed to make it.  

on to day 2

i drink coffee, myself, but i did cut back for whole 30, but if you manage without that's awesome...after the caffeine and sugar withdrawl symptoms wear off it'll be totally worth having gone through. i agree that planning is key. i make sure that i bring compliant food for my kids and i when we go anywhere that i'm not sure has compliant foods.

• 3 weeks later...

as i posted in "troubleshooting", i've been having restart after restart after restart (after restart after restart)

i'm done with restarting.

i'm gonna post daily (or even meal-ly) in this log to keep myself accountable, to myself, and to those of you who are also going through this.

day 1 starts for the last time 8/23

day 30 will be 9/21. 

in prep for my final restart - and first completion - just got back from WF.

picked up some organic baby carrots and apples - in case i get hungry at work.  i won't eat more than 1 apple a day.

also picked up some Cholula to mix in to ground beef to help with taste.

perhaps consider taking some tins of fish in oil, or HB eggs, to work along with the carrot - at least then if you get hungry you can have a proper mini meal with protein, fat and vegies!

i've got some tuna in evoo, but what would be the fat here?  the fish is the protein, the carrots are vegetables, would the residual oil from the tuna be the fat?  i mean, you'd still drain the tuna, right??

and thanks for the reminder.  grazing isn't a good idea.  the carrots should really be part of either lunch or a mini-meal IF i get hungry.

My husband is doing the W30 with me for the first time. I do most of the cooking as he doesn't really cook.

For him, a real life saver is pre-made frozen hamburger patties (my goal is to get him onto all grass-fed beef before long, but baby steps). We keep these on hand and he'll just grab two out to grill or pan-fry (a George Foreman would be great too). He always eats his with mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato and onion. He'll eat that for any meal at any time. I personally love 2 patties for dinner (usually just need one at lunch time) with some mayo and green olives and a side of whatever veggies we have.

I'd say it's important to have a go-to list of fast meals you can do. The canned tuna with veg and an apple is a great idea. I love to have the EVOO tuna over pre-washed salad greens (always keep a box in the fridge, cause I'll do anything to put off eating a salad, even just rinsing off lettuce leaves) with some diced onion and celery and black pepper.

Remember that you don't have to go with pastured/organic/grass fed meats. That's ultimately a goal for your health, but not required for a W30. Because cooking is new, make sure you've got some easy prep and fast meals you can rely on.

I love having a rottisserie (did I spell that wrong?) chicken in the fridge during busy weeks. I'll also pick up pre-made guacamole (I even found a compliant one in little individual serving packages so it doesn't go all brown). Chicken + guac + salsa + pre-washed greens is a great and fast meal. I also love to just have the rotisserie chicken with veggie tray veggies, especially peppers and I'll use the guac as dip.

Like amberino21 said, hardboiled eggs are a real lifesaver at times. I love them for breakfast, just grab a few of those and an apple with some nutbutter and I'm good. It's fast and ready.

And there's nothing wrong with eating whatever meal you find you cook well, again and again and again... Until you get bored and find another favorite easy dish:)

You've totally got this!

okay...it's 3:35, day 1 of my FINAL restart, and i'm already feeling crazy.  i'm hungry despite what i felt was a decently filling lunch.  ground beef, scrambled egg, lots of green veggies (for ease, i use a lot of frozen veggies, it's stuff like spinach, kale, collard greens, etc), and some olives for fat.  also ate about a third of an apple. 

i'm feeling hungry and starting to find myself thinking "awww...you don't need to do this [whole 30]...."

drinking more water. 

i'm okay...but damn...i'm still on day 1 !

This is the hump!  Get over this one and the next one won't be so bad.

My go to food in the first few days is rolled up slices of roast beef with salt, dipped in some homemade mayo.  Sometimes that's enough to keep me from having to make a small meal, but if you are hungry, by all means eat!

A few olives? Doesn't sound like much fat to me!

I also find that I need a lot (and I mean a lot) of leafy greens to fill me up. Try for more substantial vegies as well...

Also, how big was your breakfast? This often effects your whole day!

Keep busy...take your mind off food!

A few olives? Doesn't sound like much fat to me!

I also find that I need a lot (and I mean a lot) of leafy greens to fill me up. Try for more substantial vegies as well...

Also, how big was your breakfast? This often effects your whole day!

Keep busy...take your mind off food!

I thought I read that for olives we should eat about an open handful (versus a closed handful of nuts).  When I eat olives, I usually eat between 6 and 9.  Is that not enough? 

Archived