1st W30 - i have no idea what i'm doing

rollo

nooo!!!! don't drain it....eat it with the oil :P there's your fat :)

didn't have enough food in the fridge for lunch on day 6 - so my lunch was just that.  grabbed my can of tuna in evoo, bag of baby carrots, and my bottle of mustard.  thanks, amberino21. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Day 7 is over and done and successful.

i went from not cooking at all to cooking something with carrots, celery, baby bok choy, and red bell pepper - i'd have said you were insane if you said i was gonna be doing this weeks ago.

(btw...thank goodness for the tasty protein)

(...and macademia nuts for fat) 

:)

i just looked up the applegate website cause im dying for breakfast meat and the bacon ingredient list says somethig about cane sugar...  i assume that is not compliant :(

There's a link to US Wellness Meats (I think it's on the main page). You can get compliant bacon and other deliciousness from there. Another option is to look for pork back, it's like really thick bacon but I found some at whole foods that wasn't cured with any sweeteners. I love breakfast meats!

It's super quick to buy ground pork and toss in some spices and I love to add apples or blueberries. Voila! Compliant breakfast sausage.

Day 8 starting.  So far so good. with no problems.

Noticed last night, that even when i got home past midnight, i didn't find myself hungry and wandering over to a drive-thru.  Big bonus!

I've got one!  Coconut Curry Turkey!  This is a dish I got from a book called Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely.  I'm pretty sure I made a couple changes to it, but it has been so long since I looked at the original recipe, I couldn't tell you what they were.  Besides, for the Whole30, I needed to change it up a little more.  So here's the gist.

Coconut Curry Turkey

6 boneless, skinless turkey breast tenderloins (assuming a large, oval crockpot)

2 cans of coconut milk (full fat, of course)

2 cups of high-quality chicken/bone stock/broth

1 lb. of mushrooms (I used to use Cream of Mushroom soup also, but that's no good)

1 or 2 medium to large onions, chopped

2 T. curry powder

garlic (fresh or powder) to taste

salt to taste

black pepper to taste

Combine the spices and liquids (I just whisk it together in the crockpot itself); add the turkey, chopped onions, and mushrooms.  Make sure the turkey is mostly covered by the liquid, to absorb maximum flavor.

Cook on low for about 8 hours, or high for 6 hours.  Don't take the lid off much, if at all, as that may add to the cooking time needed. 

I used to serve this over rice or egg noodles, but that's out, obviously.  Spaghetti squash, perhaps?  Or cauliflower "rice".  (I've never made it, but it sure sounds good!)

Be aware that this recipe comes out a bit soupy, so either use a slotted spoon to serve, or perhaps add some veggies and eat it like stew.  Whatever you do, don't toss the liquid!  It's super tasty!  I've thought about using a tiny bit of coconut flour (a tablespoon or two, tops) to thicken it a little.  Something to consider.

Sounds like you're doing really well now.  Congrats, and keep up the good work!  :D

Download Nom Nom Paleo app. Best slow cooked chicken and gravy recipe EVER. There is wine in her recipe however as Michele mentions simply add another 1/2 cup of stock instead. Heaps of other great recipes too.

Enjoy!!!

Sue

i need to start getting adventurous - and by that i mean, i need to start cooking beyond just melting some ghee and throwing protein and veggies in the pan.

i don't think it's the spices...that's what's actually helping!!

i think i'm eating too many hot dogs

gonna use them in "i'm all out of other food" emergencies.

stick with ground beef, fish and other protein instead

that said, day 15.  after dinner, i'll be 1/2 done

Day 16 -

schedule got a bit messed up so i found myself hungry surrounded by food smells - kept thinking a lot of negative thoughts.

but it's one meal at a time, i guess.

so came home and cooked a little fish, egg, veggies, followed by some macademia nuts.

Day 18 -

Or day 1.  i haven't decided yet.

anyway, i didn't go out and eat bad food after that little snafu and depsite being bothered by how my 17 days are technically NOT anymore.

sigh.

anyway breakfast was fine. (eggs, veggies, olives)

lunch was fine (tuna in evoo, mustard, carrots) but maybe not enough food.

co worker's gonna lend me his hand held mixer for the next few weeks.  I plan on making mayo.  and i have my new slow cooker.  plan on using that at the very latest this weekend.

still pissed though. 

here's the thing...yes, it was only a little bit of sugar in the broth that my friend cooked the chicken in ...i know "I" didn't mess up, and i know that i didn't let that send me to the drive thru of Wendy's.   but i wanted to really and accurately go 30 days with 100% compliance.  i guess i feel like the letter of the law is more important than the spirit??  i dunno.  :(

Day 19 -

Feeling good. Eating well. 

Coworker lent me his immersion blender. 

Will be making my own mayonnaise and planning on making some chocolate chili this weekend, as well as hitting the farmer's market on Saturday.

NONE of those 3 things are something i'd have imagined myself doing...let alone all 3.  Who the hell am i?!

This is a GREAT string of posts.  Thank you.  I am a newbie, too.  I have no idea what I am doing, either.  No idea.  Rollo - you rock.  I was hurriedly scrolling to make sure you were making it.  So don't let me down cuz I'm gonna follow you now!

Questions:  What is avo? Is that avocado? I figured out EVOO.  I freaking LOVE sardines.  My parents used to take them on hikes all the time.  Im going to buy tomorrow.

When someone refers to coconut milk in coffee, are we talking canned or carton? I opened a can and put some in coffee - GROSS!! oily smear on top.  I cannot find compliant almond milk.  Is there a brand I can request? We only have one natural food store in Anchorage - they pretty much rock.  I'm on day 5 and have been sourcing from the natural section of Fred Meyer's...limited.  I don't need creamer...saw a strange date recipie...just a little compliant white stuff would rock.

I wrote down 14 new ideas just from this string or forum or whatever it is called.  Cuz I don't know how to do much online, either.  Anyway, I'm jazzed.  Can't wait to go shopping.  Which is good, bc at the rate I'm eating meat and veggies, good heavens i have to go to store often.

This is a GREAT string of posts. Thank you. I am a newbie, too. I have no idea what I am doing, either. No idea. Rollo - you rock. I was hurriedly scrolling to make sure you were making it. So don't let me down cuz I'm gonna follow you now!

Questions: What is avo? Is that avocado? I figured out EVOO. I freaking LOVE sardines. My parents used to take them on hikes all the time. Im going to buy tomorrow.

When someone refers to coconut milk in coffee, are we talking canned or carton? I opened a can and put some in coffee - GROSS!! oily smear on top. I cannot find compliant almond milk. Is there a brand I can request? We only have one natural food store in Anchorage - they pretty much rock. I'm on day 5 and have been sourcing from the natural section of Fred Meyer's...limited. I don't need creamer...saw a strange date recipie...just a little compliant white stuff would rock.

I wrote down 14 new ideas just from this string or forum or whatever it is called. Cuz I don't know how to do much online, either. Anyway, I'm jazzed. Can't wait to go shopping. Which is good, bc at the rate I'm eating meat and veggies, good heavens i have to go to store often.

Avo is avocado :) good guess!

I have no issue with coconut milk in coffee - I blend mine so maybe that combines it a bit better. Almond milk is terrible in tea or coffee IMO! I'd avoid the date creamer - paleofying things isn't really in the spirit of the whole 30!

Blending coffee with some ghee or coconut oil is another option - makes it slightly frothy, and takes the bitter edge off!

so i can't believe i got such a GREAT post by @Marieke and then i have to follow it with this, but...here goes...

i have to start over.

i know...i know...

today was day 19, had a bday to go to.  i ate first.  had no desire to eat.  was drinking soda water.  later in the evening, shots were poured.  i got caught up in my buddy's bday and i drank.

so starting over tomorrow.

but

i'm VERY okay with this.

i don't feel bad, ashamed, upset, etc.

(i WAS upset when a friend accidentally made me have a tiny bit of sugar, but that's cuz it was an accident involving someone else)

i'm not upset over my making a mistake.

here's why:

i've been eating healthier than i ever have for the last 19 days.  for the last 19 days, i've eaten only the best protein that i could get (as far as i know), lots of vegetables, and healthy fats.

i even cooked.

me.

cooked.

me who didn't even know one of my burners wasn't working!

i sincerely feel great.

i felt GREAT about having accomplished 19 days. yes, i ended up drinking alcohol but i didn't feel like i needed to eat after. i didn't go through a drive-through or even snack.

also, my goal is not to get the 30 day badge and have bragging rights that i accomplished this.  this isn't me trying to be a Tough Mudder.  this is me trying to treat my body better and feed it food that will help it heal itself rather than injure itself (not that i'm in major trouble, but you know what i mean). 

i don't see this as a 30-day thing.  i see it as a lifestyle i'm trying to embrace.

tomorrow morning i'm gonna get up and make myself some ground beef, veggies, and then i'm gonna eat some olives.

because i'm trying to live this as a lifestyle.

tomorrow's day 1.  and i'm okay with that!

Rollo

(p.s. just so no one misunderstands, this doesn't mean i have plans to make a mistake again at the next day 19 or around there. i DO want to finish day 30.  but finishing day 30 isn't the goal.  it's just the first step)

Archived