Nightly stomach issues

I really didn't eat that bad before starting this (today is Day 5).  No soda, so pure junk, etc.  

Anyhow, I feel pretty normal all day long but right before bedtime, I start getting cramps and stomach is just done.  Spending each evening in the bathroom is starting to make me feel a bit lethargic/faint in the morning.  Is it normal to have an upset stomach at the end of each day?  Do I just need to wait this out a bit more?

Just odd that I feel fine all day and then BAM it hits.  

Breakfast has been 3-4 whole eggs cooked in ghee or coconut oil with unsweetened applesauce or berries

Lunch has been 3-4 oz. of meat (chicken, turkey, roast beef in the last three days) with a veggie or fruit (peas, green beans and an apple)

Usually have a snack between breakfast and lunch of a hard boiled egg or some homemade turkey jerky (I eat breakfast super early and lunch is too far away!)

Dinner has been 3-4 oz. of meat (grassfed burger, chicken on top of a salad) and a veggie (green beans mostly...)

Nothing that I didn't eat before this.  Only thing changed is what I'm NOT eating.  Some things I've read point to the fact that my body is used to digesting different foods along with these so perhaps it is just adjusting?  It truly is like I have a stomach bug each night...after I spend my time in the bathroom though, I fall asleep and all is well.

Didn't wake up this morning feeling dizzy/faint, so that was a bonus.  I'm thinking perhaps I should find some coconut water too and get some electrolytes back in me at night??

Peas are legumes and are not allowed on W30. Green Beans are ok. Also, it's not fruit or veggie, you are supposed to have a large serving of compliant vegetables and a small serving of fruit (only 2 per day).

It's possible your system is adjusting, or maybe you did pick up a bug. I would eat more starchy vegetables (baked sweet potatoes) and limit the greens and maybe eliminate the fruit, except for maybe a banana while you are having this reaction.

I dont think its really likely that taking food out would cause issues....and your food doesn't sound like it would likely cause issues. Could it be more meat, more vegies, or more fat than you're used to?

Just a couple of suggestions from what you've mentioned though - you have no vegetables with breakfast. If you have a long stretch between meal 1 & 2, a mini meal is fine - I plan one on days when I have breakfast at 6, then lunch at 2! Try to include all elements - protein/fat/vegies.

You mentioned peas - are these snow/sugar snap peas in the pod? If you have the pod, they're ok -

Plain peas aren't compliant on the whole 30 though!

• Moderators

Feeling bad only at night is strange. If you were feeling bad all day, I would confidently suggest you need digestive enzymes to help your body adjust to your new diet. I still think that is a good thing to try. They won't hurt and they may make a world of difference. You might want to read up on digestive enzymes: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

You need more veggies in your diet. 

Well drat on the peas...guess those are out!  They were regular ole' organic frozen peas from Trader Joe's.

I whole-heartedly agree with you all on the veggies and needing to eat more...I just need to figure out how to do that.  The only veggie I like without question is green beans (and lettuce counts too I guess!) that is Whole30 compliant.  I've eaten other stuff here or there but it is not something I would normally just prepare and/or take to work and munch on.  I'm trying!  I've always put stuff like Whole30 off, telling myself I need to like more veggies first.  I finally decided that was a bad excuse and just did it.  Working on it though :)  Just sucks to make some new veggie, take it to work for lunch and then not like it and starve, you know?  Been there, done that!

There are so many vegies - and so many ways to prepare them! I hate boiled Brussel sprouts, but roasted ones are lovely!

Also, you're an adult - sometimes we have to do things we don't like. Like eat vegetables even if they're not particularly pleasant! You'll be surprised at how you may grow to like things.

I agree...I'm open to trying new things, I'm just nervous about making meals of new things and not liking it enough to eat them all.  I've had texture issues my whole life too so working on that.

I did mash up some sweet potatoes today though and added some Kerrygold butter and cinnamon and I LOVED them!  I have some recipes lined up to try this weekend as well...I just get in my funky moods where I think nothing is going to work out.  Hoping the sweet potatoes help with my stomach issues at night.

Ok - reread rules. Not sure why I thought grass fed butter was good but it is now out. I have ghee, just didn't think to use it.

So no issues last night. Either me talking about it, the sweet potato or my stomach just decided it was all better.

Had sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon this morning alongside my eggs fried in coconut oil. So yummy!

Thanks everyone for helping me out, getting me on track, etc.

Archived