Day 25 and I passed out from low blood sugar

I am so bummed, I felt like I finally had defeated the sugar dragon and I was on the home stretch.  I was at a birthday party for a friend last night, totally comfortable not drinking wine and dessert was not even a temptation, then I just started seeing all black and I went down.  Luckily one of my friends is an EMT and I was standing right next to him when it happened.  When I came to he made me drink a Coke and then a few glasses of orange juice to get my blood sugar back up.  I actually first told him no, I only had five more days to go, but it was not negotiable. Had I known what was going to happen I should of just had the dessert, to blow my Whole 30 on a Coke and orange juice just sucks.  In hindsight I realize all the factors that probably caused it, I had skipped lunch and had been outside in 106 degree heat earlier that day and lately I was not eating enough carbs, specifically sweet potatoes. I know that I am going to have to start over now, my question is should I wait a few days or just get back on the horse and start right away?  I plan on seeing my Dr. this coming week to make sure there is nothing else going on but I don't think there is.

While not ideal, coke and orange juice in the circumstances are not the worst things to have happen, one instance of caffeine and sugar aren't likely to have a big inflammatory effect and really ruin your whole30 so I would say it depends what you are trying to get out of the whole30. I would say its more important to work on taking good care of yourself eating enough and hydrating and check that it was just a mistake/oversight rather than a subconscious or intentional event. And keep going or not as suits. I do think having a break then starting again will be harder than continuing though. Quite a few people make some mistakes on their whole30 but keep going, or when having to eat out aren't quite sure if they were compliant or not as there is only so much you can do to check, so again I say have a think about why you are doing it and what you need to do to both be and feel successful.

I am on day 20 of my third. On Day 7 when I wasn't yet sure or not if I was trying for a whole 30 or just mostly compliant eating, I had a dark chocolate bar with nothing noncompliant in other that 3.7g of sugar. I kept going and haven't had anything else noncompliant so I decided that was good enough to keep counting. I will probably go longer than 30 days, maybe even 60. I might even have another chocolate bar... I am working most on eating three consistent meals a day, no bingeing etc and learning to listen to my body. So for me that chocolate bar, while technically breaking the whole30 rules, isn't enough for me to consider this whole30 a failure, in fact I am very happy with my overall success and motivated to continue.

This is far from blowing your Whole30! I, for one, am glad you didn't "blow it" by having dessert - a heaping combination of cake (gluten, sugar) and ice cream (dairy, more sugar) would have been much worse! Glad you're feeling better and that it was nothing more than low blood sugar :)

If you do have blood sugar issues, skipping a meal is not a good idea, now you know! I also have blood sugar issues. If you find this happening you might want to keep some Lara Bars (they are compliant) in your purse so in emergencies you can have one to replace a meal. I also carry some cut up coconut or you can buy coconut flakes. They are not a complete meal, but are a good fat and can tide you over until you get a good meal. And make sure you have the proper amount of carbs with each meal.

I  don't think you have to start over. You needed some glucose to raise your blood sugar. Low blood sugar can be very dangerous. So you did the right thing.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, I have decided to push on and not start over. I was really bummed out because I felt that having the Coke and OJ were out of my control (although the reason I had to have them were a direct result of my own actions).    Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way how important it is to make sure I am eating enough and getting those carbs in.  Before this happened I was considering extending my Whole 30 into a Whole 45, I am going to now for sure.  I feel the extra time will reinforce those lessons.  Thanks again so much.

Archived