GI issues, constipation and horrible gas AFTER Whole 30.

camille

Okay, it's taken me about 2 weeks of lurking to come over here and post this, but I'm post-Whole 30 (it was great, I actually loved it) and have been experiencing GI issues since around day 25.

I realised I hadn't been using the toilet as much as I should have throughout the entirety of the Whole 30 experience, and upped my magnesium intake as per the advice, plus I wasn't sleeping (PhD student and chronically stressed right now!) and was hoping the magnesium would help with that too.

Ever since then, I've had horrendous gas... like something is dying in the immediate vicinity.  It's absolutely vile.  I have gone off plan a couple of times - but the gas started around day 25 and it hasn't gone away in the last 2 weeks.  My stomach feels snakey/wormy - like something's moving around inside of it (gas, clearly) constantly.  I'm still constipated too - in fact eating wheat is the only way I actually CAN go, as when I reintroduced it, I basically went about 6 times a day and felt horrendous.

I bought the digestive enzymes and have been taking them, and nothing is changing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?! My fiancé and cats hate me right now...

Please help :(

• Moderators

I am sorry you are having problems!

Some foods produce more gas than others, so knowing what you are eating lately would give us something to work with. However, it is curious that gas started at day 25 and has continued. 

I tend to eat a hardboiled egg for breakfast and a bulletproof coffee immediately before going to the gym with some chicken breast after for post workout protein.

Lunch is either leftovers like curry, paleo shepherds pie, beef stew or chicken with spinach salad, avocado etc. Side veggies for dishes are typically broccoli, sprouts or a red cabbage slaw.

Dinner... Well, same as lunch and sometimes a burger or homemade lamb kebabs or marinated chicken. I had no problems with the vegetables prior to all this upset, but do have a history of ibs that going paleo cured.

No snacks apart from the occasional fruit or spoon of almond butter! I could work harder on drinking water though.

Broccoli and cabbage can produce a lot of gas and some people with IBS have issues with them. You may also benefit from some probiotics. I've also suffered from constipation on W30 and after and what did help me is Kombucha. It's fermented tea, you can get it in Whole Foods. I don't really like some other fermented products (sauerkraut), but the Kombucha I like.

Are you still taking the magnesium and are you taking any probiotics? 

I haven't taken the magnesium since day 30 of Whole 30, when I decided it seemed to be giving more problems than solutions.

Broccoli and cabbage can produce a lot of gas and some people with IBS have issues with them. You may also benefit from some probiotics. I've also suffered from constipation on W30 and after and what did help me is Kombucha. It's fermented tea, you can get it in Whole Foods. I don't really like some other fermented products (sauerkraut), but the Kombucha I like.

This I know, however it does seem odd to not have a reaction and then suddenly begin to suffer from day 25 and not recover in two and a half weeks :( I will take a look at the kombucha - I tried sauerkraut but it really isn't for me, so perhaps kombucha will be the answer!

Archived