Start Date: 15 August.....Join In!

Islandgrrl

I starting my second Whole30 on 15 August and would love to have company! I have pretty decent support this time at home, although my husband and daughter are not participating with me. They do happily eat what I cook, though, so I'm slowly winning them over to my not so wicked ways!

I would love to receive support from others and provide whatever support I can, as well!

I'm in! :) Here we go again! Have a nice journey to health and joy! :)

Continuing Whole30, so this is Day 1 (or Day 31). My family is not supportive at all, but they also accept what I cook... (no choice, really) :D First days were really annoying when my H and son were eating chocolate and ice cream knowing that I can't have any, but now I don't really care anymore. I'm over my sugar cravings! B)

This time: no support from those lovely daily emails. I really loved them, but maybe I can re-read some of them... They were worth every penny.

Tomorrow we have a grill party at my co-workers place, hope that I can make good choices. At least I can bring my own food and know what I'm eating.

Count me in as well! My first challenge will be my friend's wedding tomorrow. I am going to pass up on the drinking because transforming my health is much more important than one night, and the pain of discipline will be much more rewarding than the pain of regret.

Hey all! I'm joining is as well and continuing on my Whole 30 so I guess this is day 32. My husband did the first round with me and he is reintroducing things but I'm just gonna stay as is for now. Loved the support last time and looking forward to continuing on this journey!

Thanks for starting today! I'm in too. I started the End of, July plus several times since then. I'm following the Whole 30(+) as a dream-come-true way to finally release sugar from my life. It's a difficult but welcome change. In addition to sugar running my life since I was a kid, it is insidious, in everything. Even the "healthy" replacement foods I've eaten over the years. Keeping the cravings alive anfd in control. This summer I have gone stretches of four and five days clean from sugar. Something I have NEVER done.

I'm starting over again today. I had success over a vacation with family where I had support and all the time I needed to prepare foods that work for me. I'm back home now, where I feel I'm in a constant battle with my lifestyle, responsible to feed others, and no support in place.

I'm joining the forum this time. I'm going to beat my own odds.

Vivianne

Hi everyone! It's good to see both familiar and new  names here!

Today is officially Day 1 (or 32, depending how you approach it). I didn't actually take yesterday off, but I wasn't counting it as part of this 30.

So far, so good. My goals for this second Whole30 are as follows:

Eat a little less at each meal. I can really pack the good food away, and I need to work on being a little more mindful of recognizing when I'm full and stopping. Because it's too easy for me to not. Stop.

Eliminate my desire and tendency to nosh and nibble after dinner. I still struggle with this.

Get more sleep...or at least more consistent sleep.

Be better prepared for meals at work. Since I eat both breakfast and lunch at work, I really need to mix it up and try new stuff so I can  hopefully alleviate some food boredom.

Today's meals thusfar:

Breakfast: Two  hard boiled eggs. Not nearly enough food, but it's what I had.

Lunch: A "side salad" from the cafeteria (lettuce, some tomato chunks) topped with grilled chicken and grilled onions. Cantaloup and 3/4 of an avocado. I gave the last bit of avocado to my lunch-mate because I was too full.

Dinner is up in the air. Not a clue about what I'm making or doing. Probably chicken and sweet potatoes and kale.

Dinner yumminess!

I butterflied a couple of chicken breasts, seasoned them with S&P, cumin and paprika then pan seared them. Then I chopped them up and made tacos! Mine were in huge, crispy lettuce leaves, everyone else got actual tortillas. All were topped with fresh homemade guacamole and salsa. Served with fruit...cherries, blueberries and red grapes. Nom.

Tomorrow is going to be a challenge. I'm going to be away from home most of the day without the ability to have a cooler full of food. Not to mention the fact that I'm out of a lot of staples and have to go to the grocery. I'll make a good breakfast and take some almonds with me and hope for the best.

How did everyone else do today?

Hi everyone! I'm starting (or actually re-starting) today. I made it to day 8, and then unfortunately went off course on Wednesday night while out on a date. I am disappointed in myself as I was feeling fantastically energised by day 8, and then slipping off track led to a sugar binge, which made me feel unbelieveably awful! Awful: lacking in energy, enthusiasm, difficulty waking up the next day, feeling full of anxiety. One of the main reasons I set out to do this is to tackle anxiety and depression, as an alternative to taking antidepressants which I was prescribed a few weeks ago (and decided to not take them, and really try and tackle this another way). SO, back to it again today, day 1. But I do feel a lot stronger for having made it to day 8, I know that I can do it this time around. I am just going to be very careful about social events- perhaps just limiting myself to daytime things and opting to stay in during evenings for a month! It's really important to me to do this, so I don't mind making a few sacrifices.

Best of luck everyone, I look forward to your updates.

Charlotte

I started on the 14th but then joined up here, so my "official" start is today.  I guess I'll be doing the whole 32!  Glad to see people who have been through the 30 already.  I guess it's working for you if you're on to a second month.

So far so good.  I feel very full - i think it's the addition of more fat to my diet, although that worries me.  And I'm looking forward to shopping and cooking this weekend.  One of my goals is to bring my lunch to work at least 4 days next week.  And I'm getting really bored with eggs for breakfast already, so excited to prepare some alternatives.  Good luck and good vibes to all!

I'm in. Trying again to slay my sugar dragon. We just got back from a vacation in Jamaica and somehow, other than the drinks, I managed to eat paleo the whole week. I fell in love with plantains and fruit that is truly fresh and ripe. And eggs! I'm finally back on the egg bandwagon. Went way overboard on a sugar binge when I got home and realized that I really do feel like crap on sugar. So grumpy and tired all the time. Don't really even know why I bought and ate a bag of tootsie rolls in day, or why I felt the need to make cookies. But I did and boy was it a learning experience. Trying to get the family on board this time, starting with breakfast this morning.

Good luck to us all!

hi! guess i'm joining you guys too! my boyfriend and i actually started on aug 15 before seeing this. (well...we started on aug 14 but he accidentally had a piece of gum and then i had salad dressing with sugar in it, so we just decided to restart on the 15th.)

i decided to start doing this because i had done weight watchers and then good ol' fashioned calorie counting for quite a while -- both were successful with weight loss and overall health, but i know i don't want to live my life long term that way. ideally i'd love to just be able to make good food choices as frequently as possible. getting over my sugar cravings would be great too. so the whole30 seemed like a great place to start. :)

my boyfriend is along for the ride, but he's more interested in just learning new recipes and switching things up in terms of what we eat. (though i have a feeling he's going to be way less groggy in the mornings and he's going to love it for the health benefits!)

today's day 3 for us but neither of us have felt anything like a "hangover." i suppose we eat pretty healthfully to begin with -- no soda, no fast food, no heavily processed food -- but we do like grains, cheese, alcohol and sugar quite a bit!

we'll see how it goes. i'm glad to be along for the ride with you all! good luck to everyone. :)

I started on the 14th but then joined up here, so my "official" start is today.  I guess I'll be doing the whole 32!  Glad to see people who have been through the 30 already.  I guess it's working for you if you're on to a second month.

So far so good.  I feel very full - i think it's the addition of more fat to my diet, although that worries me.  And I'm looking forward to shopping and cooking this weekend.  One of my goals is to bring my lunch to work at least 4 days next week.  And I'm getting really bored with eggs for breakfast already, so excited to prepare some alternatives.  Good luck and good vibes to all!

i am getting bored with eggs too so i found this recipe. sweet potato fritters. haven't tried yet but they look delish.

http://www.eatingforidiots.com/sweet-potato-fritters/

Thanks for the recipe Frelei, looks delish and I can't wait to try it. 

Finally went to do my food shopping today -- mighty expensive, I must say, but now I feel really set up.  Made my first curry for dinner (sweet potatoes in it did not work IMHO), then got really inspired and made ghee.  Which I promptly spilled all over my kitchen counter.  Duh.  I'm still struggling with the snacking, and didn't do so great today, overdid it with sun butter and carrots.  I guess it could be worse. My great discovery today:  it really does make a difference to pay attention to the meal.  I ate dinner while watching a film and found myself much less satisfied and more inclined to keep eating even though I had eaten plenty.  Duh again.  

Hope everyone has had a good day.

Lizzie

I feel like it's been days since I've been here, but I don't think it has been! 

Breakfast today: two poached eggs over a sliced up half of an avocado. Yummy. 

Lunch: uh-oh. Nothing. We were out doing errands that took longer than expected and I didn't bring anything with me. Which meant that I went grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Uh-oh indeed. 

Dinner: Hubby asked for tuna melts for dinner, so I made that for him and for daughter. I whipped up some mayonnaise and made my  own tuna salad with lots of chopped celery and scallions (hubby had already made the tuna for the melts) and made a salad nicoise for dinner (without the egg...none hard boiled).

I snacked on blueberries and cantaloupe later in the evening because I was HUNGRY! 

No nuts today. I tend to have no control when I eat almonds. So I'm trying to limit my consumption to situations in which control is not a factor (like when I'm out and only have a few in my lunch or purse). 

I've had a headache most of the day - probably weather related. - I have barometer head. Ugh. Otherwise plenty of energy. 

I followed up with my doc yesterday regarding the Achilles tendonitis. I will need to be in this immobilizer boot for ... gulp ... another month. At least.  :huh:

I got Everyday Paleo at the library today. I'm probably going to crock-pot some chicken tomorrow. I need to make food for this week at work. 

Tuesday night we are having dinner out with friends. We are going to a local Mexican restaurant. Danger. What can I eat there? Certainly not the chips and salsa (which is my favorite part of most Mexican restaurants) or the chile relleno (it's my ambrosia, I swear). Seriously, I need some help with this. 

Hey Islandgrrl, I have (chronic) Achilles tendonitis too, and that's a big reason I'm doing the Whole30.  I'm sick of being in pain every day.  I'm hoping this will decrease the inflammation and, as I lose some weight, decrease the pressure on my poor tendons.  Sorry to hear you have to be in a boot.  I have it in both legs, so that's not an option for me.  Just stretching, stretching, stretching.

I'm certainly no expert as this is only day 5 for me, but I'd probably go for fish at your Mexican restaurant.  Usually they have some on a menu.  And a tomato based sauce.  But I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with restaurant eating where you can't know exactly what ingredients they use.  Maybe one of the longer-time members could help?

I'm off to try my hand at a breakfast scramble.  I have to sub ground chicken for turkey because organic ground turkey was $14/lb! Yeah, right.

Happy day everyone!

Hi everyone! I'm enjoying reading your posts. Still going strong on this Whole30plus and feeling great. Going out to dinner is a little tricky and for those of you that just started - I would recommend waiting until at least the 2nd week. Let yourself get the hang of the foods you can have. When you do go out, don't be scared to ask lots of questions. I've gone out a couple of times and the servers have been great about working with me. I spent 5 years waiitng tables a long time ago so I always speak to them in a really friendly way - tell them I'm not trying to be difficult but that I have sensitivty to certain foods and if I eat them, it makes me pretty sick. They are much more willing to make changes if you put it that way versus telling them you are watching what foods you eat.

For Mexican - some places make fresh guac - just ask what ingredients they use and if it's compliant, have some guac with some grilled chicken or fish. Just ask how they prepare it and if you can, ask them to just grill it dry. You can use the guac as your seasoning. Then you could get a salad with it. Be careful with the salsa as so many places put sugar in it. Again - just ask lots of questions.

My husband is out of town this weekend so I've enjoyed some QT with my girls. Weather has been yucky too :(. We are having a jammy day today - had them do the majority of work in making homemade waffles this morning - got the recipe from 100days of real food, it's not paleo and I didn't have any but it is still healthy for them and they had a blast making them. We are going to bake semi Paleo friendly cookies this afternoon. Again - don't plan to eating any but love the idea of baking cookies with them that aren't horrible. The chocolate chip cookies I normally make are diet disasters! Ha!!!

Making through the weekend is one of the biggest challenges, at least for me so congrats on almost making it through the first weekend!!!

Have a great day.

I snagged a copy of Everyday Paleo from the library and this morning I made the Bernaise Sauce from the book. It's really more like Hollandaise sauce, though. Served it over steamed asparagus spears and poached eggs. Total win. Next time I make the sauce, though, I will use a more  neutral oil (avocado) than olive oil. I think it will really let the lemony flavor shine through. 

I have Chicken Enchilada Stew (PaleOMG) in the crock pot, and I poached a chicken breast and made Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad with it - I made the mayonnaise yesterday. 

In a few minutes I'm going into the garden to pick kale and chard for my favorite at-work breakfast: Scrambled eggs with Kale/Chard. I also scored some yummy organic sugar-free salsa yesterday that I can add to....well, everything. 

I'm thinking I have meals set up for most of the week. 

The restaurant we are going to on Tuesday night has a gluten free menu. They also make guacamole at the table. So I can see exactly what's going into it. I think the guac + chicken suggestion is a good one.They also have Caldo de Camarones, which from the looks of it is compliant, too. I'll figure it out. 

Is today Day 4? 

Good morning all.  (I'm going to bed early and rising early since I've started W30).  Yesterday was a bit tough -- I did a lot of snacking on fruit, nuts and olives.  Even though they're all allowed, I couldn't resist that EAT, EAT, EAT voice.  Went to bed feeling weighted down but feeling better this a.m. and ready to face the day ahead.  I did do some cooking and re-organized my kitchen so the stuff I didn't want to throw away (e.g. alcohol, beans, things I might be able to incorporate later) is out of the way and the pots and pans I'm using all the time are now right there.  Hoping this will help me actually make real food when I get home exhausted after work.

In spite of all these gripes I'm excited to face each day and to see how my body feels.  Hoping to go for a swim today, as I feel I have some energy back.

Have a great day all!

Lizzie

hi all! hope your whole30s are going well.

mine's going pretty well, though my boyfriend and i sat down to dinner last night and said, "oh my gosh, it's only day 5." we are definitely starting to crave forbidden things -- not the things we thought, though! me: the quinoa and spelt scone with ricotta and strawberry rhubarb jam from le pain quotidien (so specific, i know, and i've only had it three times!) and my boyfriend wants a chilled glass of glenlivet. i thought for sure i'd be craving cupcakes and cake truffles and he'd be craving greasy food.

i hadn't been feeling any symptoms (hangover, kill all the things) until today, day 6. so. tired. anyone else feeling it?

good luck to all. we can do this!!!

Day 8!

Darn it, I hit a bump in the road the other night. Toesday night. We went out (not again!) to a restaurant I had thoroughly researched. I even called ahead to see if what I wanted to order would be compliant. With one minor change, the answer, I was assured, was yes.

So we got to the restaurant, we all ordered. I asked for my special meal modifications, the request was well received. Appetizer were served and I abstained, since nothing was safe. I didn't want any of it anyway. Everyone else's food came, and assuming mine was to be served momentarily, I encouraged everyone else to eat while their food was hot. Pretty soon, everyone was finishing their food, and I was really hungry. Hubs caught the waitress and pointed out that I had no food. Oops. In a couple of minutes, my food finally arrived: chicken curry minus the rice. So of course I inspected the food...potatoes had been replaced with yams, as requested. I ate. It was too much food (really enough for three meals). I ate what I wanted, and we were just sitting around talking and I started to wheeze and my nose started running and my head started to hurt. CONTAMINATION!

I went back to the kitchen and asked to talk to the chef who had prepared my food. He insisted that the food was gluten free, legume free and soy free. After some pointed questions about ingredients, I discovered that he used a pre-packaged curry seasoning - Japanese style.

Ingredients: Wheat flour, edible oils (palm oil, canola oil), salt, sugar, curry powder, spices, caramel color, monosodium glutamate (flavor enhancer), malic acid.

Wow...I hit the jackpot, didn't I? And he kept insisting it was gluten free, and didn't have soy or MSG. Well, he was right about the soy.

There were so many wrongs in there that I have no idea what the culprit was. Benadryl fixed me, but it's taken until today to feel normal.

I've run up against something else that I do have a problem with. The Book says that potatoes are rather arbitrarily forbidden because they are often prepared in unhealthful ways. I get that. What I don't get is the prohibition when they are prepared healthfully. This is my second Whole30. I'm going out on a limb here and I'm eating 100% organic purple potatoes. I'm struggling with a couple of things here. I need more potassium. Bananas make my mouth itch. Potatoes are high in potassium. Purple potatoes are 4 times higher in antioxidants than white potatoes. So there are nutrients. I'm not saying I'm planning on eating purple potatoes every day. Far from it. But I grow a lot of my own organic veggies, and I harvested about 3 pounds of stunning new purple potatoes tonight. I made a hash with them, and served that with eggs for dinner. And I ate some.

Eating purple potatoes has thus far had no ill effects upon me. I feel perfectly fine and I'm not slipping down any slippery slope towards French fries, loaded potato skins or chips. I couldn't care less about those things on my worst food day ever, and now is no different.

So I guess that's my "I cheated on my Whole30" confession. Only I don't feel guilty. I feel like I ate a perfectly nutritious dinner.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the other 100 pounds of potatoes I have to harvest over the next month...

Day 8!

Darn it, I hit a bump in the road the other night. Toesday night. We went out (not again!) to a restaurant I had thoroughly researched. I even called ahead to see if what I wanted to order would be compliant. With one minor change, the answer, I was assured, was yes.

So we got to the restaurant, we all ordered. I asked for my special meal modifications, the request was well received. Appetizer were served and I abstained, since nothing was safe. I didn't want any of it anyway. Everyone else's food came, and assuming mine was to be served momentarily, I encouraged everyone else to eat while their food was hot. Pretty soon, everyone was finishing their food, and I was really hungry. Hubs caught the waitress and pointed out that I had no food. Oops. In a couple of minutes, my food finally arrived: chicken curry minus the rice. So of course I inspected the food...potatoes had been replaced with yams, as requested. I ate. It was too much food (really enough for three meals). I ate what I wanted, and we were just sitting around talking and I started to wheeze and my nose started running and my head started to hurt. CONTAMINATION!

I went back to the kitchen and asked to talk to the chef who had prepared my food. He insisted that the food was gluten free, legume free and soy free. After some pointed questions about ingredients, I discovered that he used a pre-packaged curry seasoning - Japanese style.

Ingredients: Wheat flour, edible oils (palm oil, canola oil), salt, sugar, curry powder, spices, caramel color, monosodium glutamate (flavor enhancer), malic acid.

Wow...I hit the jackpot, didn't I? And he kept insisting it was gluten free, and didn't have soy or MSG. Well, he was right about the soy.

There were so many wrongs in there that I have no idea what the culprit was. Benadryl fixed me, but it's taken until today to feel normal.

I've run up against something else that I do have a problem with. The Book says that potatoes are rather arbitrarily forbidden because they are often prepared in unhealthful ways. I get that. What I don't get is the prohibition when they are prepared healthfully. This is my second Whole30. I'm going out on a limb here and I'm eating 100% organic purple potatoes. I'm struggling with a couple of things here. I need more potassium. Bananas make my mouth itch. Potatoes are high in potassium. Purple potatoes are 4 times higher in antioxidants than white potatoes. So there are nutrients. I'm not saying I'm planning on eating purple potatoes every day. Far from it. But I grow a lot of my own organic veggies, and I harvested about 3 pounds of stunning new purple potatoes tonight. I made a hash with them, and served that with eggs for dinner. And I ate some.

Eating purple potatoes has thus far had no ill effects upon me. I feel perfectly fine and I'm not slipping down any slippery slope towards French fries, loaded potato skins or chips. I couldn't care less about those things on my worst food day ever, and now is no different.

So I guess that's my "I cheated on my Whole30" confession. Only I don't feel guilty. I feel like I ate a perfectly nutritious dinner.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the other 100 pounds of potatoes I have to harvest over the next month...

Wow! What a rubbish restaurant experience....that chef definitely knows how to look after his customers!

In terms of potato, I guess that's up to you. I figure its 30 days and not hard to go without. Potassium is in plentiful in lots of things - spinach, chard, butternut squash, pumpkin, mushrooms, tomato, avo, broccoli, seafood, melon, kiwi, dates...coconut water...nuts...you don't need bananas!

Day 8!

what a horrible experience. that chef could get into a lot of trouble for that.

Archived