Why is this second time so hard around! I did the whole30 in March and completed it with much scuess. I had lost weight, and was feeling all the amazing benifits. Since I have fallen off the wagon and cant seem to get back on. Anyone have helpful tips or want to help each other stay accountable.

Ive done it before so I know my body can do it again. Now just to get my mind on board.

Right there with you. I completed my first in January and it was awesome. Then got pregnant. Haha. I am going to start my second in September so my husband can join me. I've been finding more recipes, already started prepping a meal plan. I find that being completely prepared is key for me.

Hi, I have to agree with you, I found the second time a lot harder to get on board with. My first W30 (really a W60) i was focussed throughout. When I came to start the second one, I didn't feel nearly so enthusiastic - it wasn't new - it wasn't so much of an adventure - I mean i knew what to expect - after all I didn't eat so much differently anyway so what was the point? 

All these things were running round my head and I put off starting.then I realised I was just making excuses, procrastinating. What really helped was having a long hard look at what my goals were - what did I want to get out of this?  I reread parts of the book, dug out all the daily emails I'd saved, cleared what little there was to clear out of my cupboards and just really, really comitted to a starting date. Good luck - you can do this!

I noticed two things with my second one.

1. I had a better idea of what was coming and set the date out a bit which meant that I was eating and grieving more in the days leading up to the second.  My diet in the days before that second one was way worse than my diet in the months before my first.

2.  I wanted to make up my own rules and then I found myself breaking all of them.  So, that big batch of whatever that I cooked last week had traces of sugar in it, but it was close enough, right?  Close enough got me as far away from compliant as I could be and I finally had to really allow myself to remember how it felt, that I wanted it, an that the program rules applied to me even as a second timer.

"then I realised I was just making excuses, procrastinating. What really helped was having a long hard look at what my goals were - what did I want to get out of this" (From Kirsteen)

I have been Paleo for 2 1/2 years, but allowed myself "no brake" foods, which inevitably would lead to falling off the wagon. I have had to recognize what the no brake foods are in my life, and commit to staying away from them. Whole 30 does not work for one month, or two. It has to be a committed lifestyle. I have to know what the trigger foods are that make me fail, then decide in my mind that I would rather feel good, then partake and feel awful.

The tools that help me stay accountable are 1) Keeping my pantry and refrigerator free of forbidden food, 2) logging into Fitday.com and tracking my intake.....that may be against the "rules," but this one thing keeps me accountable. 3) allowing substitutes that take my mind off of eating a forbidden food.....like having a cup of tea in the evening vs. a glass of wine.

In addition, I am a mom of two teenage children. They eat the way I eat. I buy them snacks that I am not tempted by: Lara Bars, dried fruit, Grass fed beef jerky, fruit. If you have kids, they may complain at first, but children are amazingly resilient and adaptive. They will conform once you show them these are your rules, and this is your house.

Hi, I have to agree with you, I found the second time a lot harder to get on board with. My first W30 (really a W60) i was focussed throughout. When I came to start the second one, I didn't feel nearly so enthusiastic - it wasn't new - it wasn't so much of an adventure - I mean i knew what to expect - after all I didn't eat so much differently anyway so what was the point? 

This is a very good point! Thanks Kirsteen, I never thought about it no longer being new. I will look at my goals, mostly how much more energy I have when I eat well, should help me suceed. I will start again tomorrow!

Archived