Chicken feet

I've been running out of bone broth lately, so I asked our farmer for bones.  He had some extra chicken feet and wings.  I haven't used chicken feet and would have been afraid of them a few months back, but I am ready.  There are no claws, so I think they are ready to go.  Anything else I should look for before dropping them in for a long, hot, melty bath?

Any additional tips on cooking the wings, as well.  I've never used them and will want to eat the meat, too, of course.

I've not been able to find chicken feet in my store...but all the recipes for broth just appear to say toss em in. 

I did a quick google of "paleo wings" and had quite a few hits...first was nomnompaleo. I know you have a lot of AIP restrictions going on so I would just suggest doing your own search. I've made wings in my pre-paleo days by just throwing them (bag of frozen) in the crock pot with bbq sauce and letting it sit on low all day. They were lovely.

• Moderators

I put a bunch of chicken feet in with a bunch of bones and it made the best, most gelatinous broth I've ever made. Mine still had claws. The farmer just cut them off and gave them to me in a gallon-size ziploc bag. I rinsed and tossed them in the pot. Chicken feet have a lot of collagen that makes great broth. 

Physibeth, thanks for remembering my special needs.  It was only a short trial.  I'm  pretty sure Melissa's hunch was correct and soon I will be singing her praises from the top of Long's Peak.  I am feeling stronger each day on pretty much any food and my symptoms are subsiding.  Now that my belly is less angry, I think I can keep it that way with probiotics, bone broth, and HCL. :-)

Both of the farms where we get chicken have feet available.  One seems to give them to people with joint issues and they leave the farm filthy.  The ones I got were very clean and all trimmed up.  They filled an entire crock pot.  I had roasted the wings.  We got about four servings of meat from them.  Then, I had to put those bones in a smaller pot next to the feet.  Both have been cooking since last night.

We also fed our pups one foot each and that was seriously entertaining.  Imagine me with my flanken style short ribs complete with slurps and drool.  It was fun for the entire family.  We're probably going to add the wings and feet to our monthly order of eggs and legs/thighs.  I love wanting parts that no one else wants!

Archived