Older women following Whole30

Chrysalisc

Whine Alerlt!      It will pass but right now I'm having a monsterous post Whole30 let down.  I tried to find a place to find peers in age and life experience and just couldn't figure out how to locate them.  I'm not special.... but I am trying to keep my spirits up and get the "atta girls" that work.  

I'm 59 years old and completed my first Whole30 today.  My whole family took on this adventure together and I just returned from delivering my youngest to college.  He gets credit for starting us off as he is an athlete who loves and respects his body.  

Later today I'll write my wrap up.  Right now I'm sad about my new empty nest so I may be over reacting here.  My husband lost 14 pounds and feels tons better.  I lost 5 pounds and KNOW this is how I can best live.   I will NEVER again be a tiny little thing.... really never was.   I'm 6' tall before I began to shrink a bit...  I worked very hard and kept Whole30.  But really expected to feel LOTS better and lighter.

Is there a forum where older folks can get some support.  I'll post my food.  No problem.  But I will never be running a marathon or even walking one. I will NEVER have washboard abs.....  or wear a bikini.  I will never show my pre and post Whole30 pictures.

I have some fitness goals.  My daughter wants to do a mother/daughter mini tri with me in a year on my 60th bday.  I welcome your support and tentatively your suggestions.   I believe I found the nutrition plan in Whole30  that suits me perfectly with small adjustments later..  

Sorry for this less than stellar post Whole30 dump.  I'm hopeful I can get over myself and move along.

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that we have a nice group started from some people who did a whole 30 in August. There are some ladies in their 50s if you want to check it out. It is under Whole30 Reintroductions and the title is Reintros and Support.

I agree that this is the best way to live. I have had my ups and downs with everything. I am 6' tall too and will probably never have washboard abs either although one can dream:) My kids are still pretty little but sometimes I have a hard time watching them walk away from me into a school building so I can only imagine how you felt dropping your youngest off at college.

Good luck on your mini tri!! Sounds like it would be something really fun to do with your daughter!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I'm 36, and in a similar boat. I have a number of issues that combine to make either astounding results or the likelihood of doing more than light walking seem like a far away dream. 

Granted, we probably have different things going on, but don't feel alone just because you're not a 20-something Crossfitter looking to lose just one more percent of body fat...

:)

Hi Chrys, I just turned 56 and did a W30 in July/August. I started again September 1. My idea of exercise is going to get the mail :D .

I lost 8 in my first W30 and hoping to lose some more, but the other things that happen are great too. Hubby is doing this one with me, and I know from previous experience that he will probably lose a lot of weight. I just don't think about it. Guys are different.

Good Luck!

Hi Chrysalisc, I am 64, and I am half way through my first Whole 30. I am pretty hopeful for my results, but we shall see. I have eaten paleo for almost 3 years before this, so most of the big changes were already tackled.

I remember when my last kid went off to college, it was not the huge rush of freedom that I had assumed. It takes a while to adjust. It's normal to have a reaction....it is like you have just lost your job, because even if your kid is very independent, the job of being the mom is still running in the background, kind of like our virus software on the computer. And then, it's over. It takes a while don't worry.

I am pretty active, and have taken up indoor rock-climbing recently. And that has made me get more serious about weight training, and that has helped me sleep better and stay in good spirits. And I think the abstaining from problem foods has helped very much.

Good luck and maybe we should start a thread for older women. Why not! 

Hi Chrisalysc.  I'm 47, with 2 kids in college and 2 still in school.  I also lost 5 pounds in my first W30 (and 5 more in each of the next 2 W30s).  That seems to be the rate that my body is happy with.  

I think a support/sharing thread is an awesome idea!

All the best!

You all are AMAZING.  Thank you for your shared experience.  I've just completed my Whole45 and have no intention of changing anything yet.  Feeling much better and more accepting of the process after your kind commentary.     I've begun to understand that  I can't repair years of abuse in such a short time.   As I read more (Just started Wolfe's book) I get a deeper sense of how seriously damaging processed foods have been to me.  Day by day I feel better and better. 

Not sure about how to start a thread but Robin pointed the way.  I don't really want to be under "Ladie's Only"  I'll have to investigate how to start another Forum.  Any name suggestions?

Women's Third Third

Spicey Crones

You all are AMAZING.  Thank you for your shared experience.  I've just completed my Whole45 and have no intention of changing anything yet.  Feeling much better and more accepting of the process after your kind commentary.     I've begun to understand that  I can't repair years of abuse in such a short time.   As I read more (Just started Wolfe's book) I get a deeper sense of how seriously damaging processed foods have been to me.  Day by day I feel better and better. 

Not sure about how to start a thread but Robin pointed the way.  I don't really want to be under "Ladie's Only"  I'll have to investigate how to start another Forum.  Any name suggestions?

Women's Third Third

Spicey Crones

That's great that you're feeling encouraged.  Love your group names!  Be aware that you can't start a new forum, but you can start a new thread.  A new forum can only be started by the administrators (the folks who own the site).  A new thread can be started by any member.  I would suggest that you begin a new thread in the Ladies Only forum, and keep up with folks who want to join in there.  Since you're new to the process here on the forums, beginning a new thread (and learning how to do that) is a great step toward finding your tribe here and connecting with others who have similar issues.  Have fun and have at it!

Women's Third Third

Spicey Crones

Spicy Crones! I love it!

Hi Chris! I finished my first tW45 last November, a W100 in January -April and a w30 about 2 weeks ago. I am 61 will never go to a Crossfit gym or run a triathlon. But I know that eating Paleo changed my life and even when I am not strictly "on" I am 90% compliant-- a little ice cream and an occasional glass of wine (from a reformed 2 glass a night girl). I have lost and kept off 20 lbs over this year and even though my exercise is not regular I feel so much better.

I would love to have a thread for women over "a certain age" but as you can see we all have a lot to learn from each other no matter our age.

We still post in our w100 group from time to time and I really look forward to hearing about their lives and their progress.

Good morning friends:  W48 today and still marching on.  So appreciate this new thread (thanks to whoever got us set up)  Feeling better and better each day.  Lately spending too much time in the kitchen cooking and processing a bumper crop of og fruit/veggies friends have sent my way.  I have enjoyed the search for ways to preserve without sweeteners.  I haven't done much of this storing stuff since I was a young woman.  I'm not sure it's worth it but I have the time and inclination.  It started out with making sauerkraut.... a family heritage food I never thought I could make.  SImple yes way simple.  We'll see if it's delicious or not.

Regarding health stuff..  I saw a Paleo/whole30 supportive naturopath this week to give me a hand addressing my low grade chronic nausea.  From years of abuse eating processed foods the damage is done but not irreversible.  So I'm adding some herbal remedies and pre meal sf licorise tablets to calm things down.

Here's the REAL kicker (and believe me I'm kicking).  She strongly suggested I give up coffee.  I followed suggestions from the Whole30 cutting back and for the most part drinking it after I ate breakfast.  I had given up diet pop 3 months before I began.  Even with the reduction I have had the nausea.  So today is day two of no coffee.  Not horrible not easy either.   I also eliminated nightshades for the time being.   Chronic gentle adjustments ....  alert and willing is what I pray for.

This empty nest things has it's ups and downs.  For the most part all is well.  Some days it's a mac truck of sadness missing the young adults who brought such vitality home.  Guess that's up to me now.  Love this life.  Deeply grateful for all of you and the Whole30.  

I'm still at the point of wishing that the 3 young adults were ready to move out, which would leave us with a 14 and a 12 year-old at home.  Only one is currently making plans.  She's in college part time and working part time.  The next is a full time college student, so I don't expect her to move out until her program is done.  The third graduated over a year ago and has no plans.  He's the one that frustrates/worries me.  Still, the thought of a peaceful house sounds like heaven.  Isn't perspective fun?  *lol*

My husband and I never had kids (except for furry ones), so We are used to it being just the two of us. I think doing a W30 together is something that can bring you closer and it will also make it more fun if you are both doing it.

Here's my older woman blather for the day.   It's all about the "letting go" isn't it that simple but so difficult.  Each day...every way we have to release.  I thought I practiced this enough to avoid the "pain" of transitions.  Duh.  Maybe there is some benefit to waking up to all the ways we let go.  But awake to it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.  Dang it.  So I attended the funeral of a friend who had a heart attack at 57. She was thin, active, full of life. loved and respected with a 40% blockagein her heart.  Seriously, we were all blindsided because she took care of others and didn't take care of herself.  No physicals.  Nothing.  Kept on smoking.  Letting go of her beautiful self is huge now.   I'm moved to reflect on the simple releases like letting go of processed food or, my current nemisis, coffee as a spiritual practice rather than deprivation.  

I dedicate my coffee withdrawal headaches to Cheryl..  She'd get this as she had a marvelous sense of humor.  Well some days it's easier to be philosophical than others. Whole 52 today.  I am so deeply grateful and sad.

(I'd like to have posted a picture here of Cheryl but couldn't get the uploader to work RIP dear heart)..  

Here's my older woman blather for the day.   It's all about the "letting go" isn't it that simple but so difficult.  Each day...every way we have to release.  I thought I practiced this enough to avoid the "pain" of transitions.  Duh.  Maybe there is some benefit to waking up to all the ways we let go.  But awake to it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.  Dang it.  So I attended the funeral of a friend who had a heart attack at 57. She was thin, active, full of life. loved and respected with a 40% blockagein her heart.  Seriously, we were all blindsided because she took care of others and didn't take care of herself.  No physicals.  Nothing.  Kept on smoking.  Letting go of her beautiful self is huge now.   I'm moved to reflect on the simple releases like letting go of processed food or, my current nemisis, coffee as a spiritual practice rather than deprivation.  

I dedicate my coffee withdrawal headaches to Cheryl..  She'd get this as she had a marvelous sense of humor.  Well some days it's easier to be philosophical than others. Whole 52 today.  I am so deeply grateful and sad.

(I'd like to have posted a picture here of Cheryl but couldn't get the uploader to work RIP dear heart)..  

So sorry for your loss - especially a dear friend.  Loss of friends and family causes deep sorrow. Focusing on past joys has always helped through tears and grief for me.  

I am 64 (soon to be the magical 65..lol) and today is day 30 for me.  I will continue with this journey for another w30 or at minimum 15 more days.  I would love to be a part of a thread for later life folks!  I will be missing my w30 daily and will probably start reading them over again.....processing all of this is sometimes overwhelming.... as well as the task of keeping up and not getting bored with veggies.  I tend to repeat things once I find something I like.  Then the like becomes tedious.  Looking forward to brighter days and this thread.

Chrys, so sorry for your loss. It does get scary 57 is the age I'll be next year. And this is one of the reasons I do W30. As we get older, the issues just multiply and get worse. It's important to take the best care of ourselves as we can.

Chrys - so sorry for your loss.  Be gentle with your self during this time of grieving.

I feel lucky to have found this thread.  Having a support group on this journey is a wonderful thing. 

I am a 57 and recently celebrated my 30th annual golden birthday which would make me 27 and holding.  (Just don't ask me what I'm holding on to  ;) )  I have been eating Paleo/Primal since February.  I did a whole 30 in May and I am on day 16 of my second whole 30.  i'm doing well with the program but suspect I might have some FODMAP issues so cutting out some of those foods may be my next step.  

I have 1 son and have been an empty nester for 12 years.  Being an empty nester does get easier so give it time and you may find yourself really enjoying your new free time.  And it has been wonderful watching my boy grow into an amazing man.  He is getting married in a couple of months so hopefully in 2-3 years grand-babies will be in my future.  Unfortunately he lives in a different part of the country - so sad - but at least in todays modern times we have all sort of electronic devises that help us stay close.

When I was younger I was an athlete but I don't think it would honor my body to go that crazy.  Walking, biking and weights are it for me.  But I am not regular or hard core with any of it.  For me this journey is all about eating healthy whole foods grown in a sustainable way.  

Good morning Spicy Crones - love that name!  

Its a cloudy morning with the possibility of rain in my part of the world.  This kind of weather always leads me to contemplation (although it should be a sign that its time to do some house cleaning).  So I thought I would threw out a couple of questions in hopes to get a discussion going:

What do you struggle with the most on the whole 30 plan?

Going natural or using dye?

I'll start:

My biggest struggle is eating breakfast.  Four days a week I get up at 4:30AM and start work at 6:30 AM.  My body doesn't handle eating that early well.  It is the one area that the moderators comment about - a lot - on my food log.  I have no problem with breakfast on my 3 days off and can make a big healthy meal of it.  I actually really like breakfast food so I am not sure why I have the nauseous reactions I sometimes have to food on my early week-day mornings.  I suspect it is because my body doesn't wake up naturally until 8 AM and by that time I am fully immersed in work and forget about everything else.

Natural.  I take after my father and turned grey early.  I have a full head of beautiful white hair that is actually close in color to my buddy in the pic.  I get more compliments on my hair color now than I have received any other time in my life.  I have even had complete strangers stop me on the street and tell me how beautiful my hair is.  

OK - your turn.  I'm looking forward to your answers.  Or maybe you can come up with better questions... ;)

Archived