Love Shopping..

Cary Williams

In Portland Or we have incredible markets. This Sat my wife and I spent the early morning at the market and picked up all our fresh veggies and fruit. After we left we drove out into the country about 25 miles away and visited a farm that does all grass fed beef, lamb, and hogs. Picked up about 75 lbs and headed back to the house. Of course we had to de-frost the freezer but what a great day. I've been eating better for 14 days...Feel great and clothes are feeling more loose....kills me not to be able to step on the scales but staying with the program....

Hi Cary -

I too am in Portland. I feel very very blessed to be here...as you said, we have incredible markets and access to so many CSAs for veggies and farms for eggs and meat.

I am currently putting together a list of farms in the Portland area for a friends blog. Would you mind sharing the name of the farm where you got your 75lbs?

Thanks so much!

Oh I envy you. That sounds so great. We did get lucky this week and we are having a farmer's market right here at work (tomorrow evening, so I'm super excited. I'm hoping for some really good stuff.). Also planning to hit one farmer's market on the way home during the week. I normally never stop but now I'm curious as to what I may find. :D

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

Just found this thread. I am currently living in Canada but moving to Portland in 3 weeks time. I will be living in the south-east, in the Hazelwood neighborhood.

Can you recommend any grocery stores, markets etc with good quality foods? Is WinCo foods on the cheaper side? New to the states here, so I really appreciate it! :-)

Great thread for Portlanders. Does everyone know about Kookoolan Farms? Best pastured chicken, eggs and pastured pork ever!! You can go to their farm or pick up your order at Hillsdale Farmers Market and one other place, but I forget where that is. Somewhere in Southeast I think. They also have a CSA for fall veggies about to start up. I passed on that since I think there will be too many starchy veggies for me.

www.kookoolan.com

Hey guys!

Just found this thread. I am currently living in Canada but moving to Portland in 3 weeks time. I will be living in the south-east, in the Hazelwood neighborhood.

Can you recommend any grocery stores, markets etc with good quality foods? Is WinCo foods on the cheaper side? New to the states here, so I really appreciate it! :-)

WinCo is less expensive, but I don't think they have any organic foods or very local high quality meats or vegetables. I did hear that they get their veggies on a certain day and that is the day to go. Also, for some staples they are fine and less expensive. New Seasons is probably my favorite local grocery store. There are 12 in the area. There are many Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

Archived