You could base your breakfast around sweet potato or other squashes. They have a sweet flavor and may be easier for your mind and stomach to accept. I made a sweet potato hash with compliant bacon and apple and spices (cinnamon, allspice or pumpkin pie spice) add wilted spinach and get your veg without changing the flavor much. Consider maybe a compliant chicken apple breakfast sausage(Applegate Farms makes a compliant one in the refrigerated section/NOT the ones in the frozen section) for your protein on days you don't want eggs. The hash, though, goes great with a fried, slightly runny egg on top. Sweeter veg like tomato, bell pepper and carrot could work for you, too. Oh, and sautéed purple cabbage and green apple in ghee is yummy w/ sausage or egg. I don't mean to imply you should play into a sweet tooth or anything, but I don't think those suggestions are going to bring up a sugar dragon.

Sorry, I won't be much help on the family situation. I don't have any sympathy when I am the chef(especially since this WOE is so delicious and healthy!). Granted, I do not have children; it's just me and my SO. If I am cooking he eats what I cook. If he wants something else, then he makes it (which is rare, since he likes having food presented without having to put forth effort!). The poor guy had to put up with my vegetarian dinners for 2 years!!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions Andria.  I will look for the Applegate sausages tomorrow when I do the food shopping.  I love sweet potatoes and have actually made sweet potato "hash browns" for breakfast a time or two.   I want to continue eating this way even after I finish my whole30 so I really want to work on changing up my breakfast routine to include more veggies/protein and not just eggs everyday.  I love traditional breakfast food so I think the main problem is getting my "brain" to think differently about what constitutes breakfast food. 

• 2 weeks later...

I second the hash.

Also, I made this for dinner the other night and think it would be a delicious breakfast option as well. I'd make it for dinner one night and have it two mornings later if you didn't want it again the next morning. (Although I would have eaten it 5 meals in a row)

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2013/03/22/butternut-squash-chicken-mash/

Thanks for the recommendation!  This squash mash was awesome.  So good for post workout.  I have trouble with breakfast and this was perfect.  It's now part of the power rotation.

• Moderators

Thanks for the suggestions Andria.  I will look for the Applegate sausages tomorrow when I do the food shopping.  I love sweet potatoes and have actually made sweet potato "hash browns" for breakfast a time or two.   I want to continue eating this way even after I finish my whole30 so I really want to work on changing up my breakfast routine to include more veggies/protein and not just eggs everyday.  I love traditional breakfast food so I think the main problem is getting my "brain" to think differently about what constitutes breakfast food. 

I don't know if you've seen this recipe for a breakfast salad: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/05/easy-breakfast-salad/ -- but I do something like this to put with my protein in the morning. Mine is usually jicama, yellow squash, zucchini, carrots (I cook them slightly so they're not as crunchy and slightly sweeter), and then some kind of fruit -- I wanted it to be more veggies, but still have a milder, slightly sweet flavor, so not too heavy on the fruit. My goal was to actually get in some veggies at breakfast, when my brain was all like, no, no veggies this early in the morning! Anyway, I make up a big bowl and put it in the fridge, the lemon juice over the top keeps it from getting brown for about 5 days or so, and I just put a couple of big scoops on my plate every morning (and sometimes at other meals). I don't usually mix the avocado in with it all, but I'll add some when I put it on my plate, or some coconut flakes are good on it too for a change of flavor.

Shannon, thanks for sharing this recipe!  I have never tried jicama so this will give me an opportunity to try it out.  I just finished day 29 of my whole30 so I am looking forward to adding a few things back in to my daily menu.  Mainly, organic half and half in my morning coffee and possibly a little paleo bread to have toasted at breakfast.  :)

When I need a break from eggs I make something like these pork & orange meatballs for breakfast. I make a bigger batch (500g or so) and leave out the garlic and sometimes the ginger too. I've made variations with other flavouring and I reckon they would be good with chicken or turkey mince too.

They re-heat nicely! You could have all your veg pre-cooked and chuck the plate in the microwave.

I keep meaning to try these chicken coconut patties too.

Archived