Modifying slow cooker recipe for frozen roast

srice11

I am going on vacation next week. My plan is to have the ingredients ready for a curry pot roast in the freezer so when I get home in the late evening, I can throw it in the crockpot and have food available for the next day. The recipe calls for a 3lb roast cooked on low 9-10 hours. Since the roast will be frozen, what do I need to do to modify the recipe? I will not have time between coming home and going to bed to defrost it. 

I would make the dish before you go and freeze it in whatever portions you want. Then you just need to defrost and reheat. I think cooking a frozen roast in a slow cooker could be dangerous because of the length of time it will be in the danger zone temp while defrosting.

• Moderators

I have used my slow cooker to turn a frozen roast into lovely, tasty meat about 50 times over the past year or two. I think it is safe to start with a solidly frozen roast. I set my cooker to 8 hours and have been known to eat some after 6 or 7 hours. I just run water over the packaging on my frozen roast to help get it loose. Then I dust both sides of the roast with the spices I am using and that is it. No need to add water because every roast I have ever cooked generated plenty of moisture to keep the meat tender throughout 8 hours of cooking and sometimes several hours of being held at a warm temperature when I am not right there to deal with it. 

I almost always stick roasts in the crockpot frozen because I never remember to take them out to thaw! They always turn out wonderful. I usually cook them somewhere between 8 to 10 hours depending on size. I never add water either. I usually sauté up some onions, garlic, and bell pepper, mix in some spices, and dump it all on top. Turns out great every time.

Archived