Whole30 and Salicylic Acid Sensitivity and Psoriasis

Hi,

I am on day 8 of the Whole30. I did an elimination diet several months ago in an effort to heal my psoriasis. Instead it exploded and I ended up having food sensitivity testing done. I found I had been relying on foods that were high in salycites which is basically almost all foods but particularly things like almond all almond and coconut products.

Now I am doing the whole30 and while I have tried to stay away from the top offenders, my psoriasis seems to be getting worse already. There is very little to eat as rice is one of the only products that I can eat safely. My psoriasis did best when I ate meat, rice and cabbage, period, but I just don't think I can go there again.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has similar issues and what the thoughts are about adding rice products - rice and wrappers for example. It still doesn't help much because there still isn't much to eat, but I am considering that maybe the Whole30 while it is awesome and seems to do wonders for so many people, that maybe it isn't right for me and my body?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Abby

Medline appears to be giving very surface information, and the medical community in general gives zero credence to diet as it relates to illness. Psoriasis is an auto-immune disorder and those are related to inflammation. Inflammation is often caused in the body by food. I did the LEAP food sensitivity testing which looks at 150 food items and whether or not there is evidence in your blood of the precursors to inflammation. Once I eliminated food with high quantities of salicylic acid, my psoriasis (painfully slowly) began to improve. But, once I began to add anything back in, it came right back again. So, as much as I wish it were not food related, I know that is not the case.

I can understand that frustration. Keep in mind, though, that the first 10 days are hard and stressful for almost everyone. Very few people see noticeable results - especially with a major medical issue - in those 10 days. Given your history, you may well need a bit longer than others to see substantial changes. It's hard, but keep pushing.

Archived