Not sure I should continue Whole30 right now

I'm on Day 16 of my first Whole30, and I'm not sure if I should continue it at this point. I started it to see if it would help my autoimmune disease and lower my blood sugar levels. My blood sugar has dropped (yea!), but I'm starting to have more serious symptoms from my adrenal insufficiency. My pituitary and adrenal glands quit working last year due to long-term steroid use (to save my eyesight), and it looks like I'll be on steroids permanently (to keep me alive).

Anyway, I think this diet may be aggravating my adrenal insufficiency in some way. My body temp is dropping as low as 95.4 F at night and I wake up shivering, even bundled up in a sweat suit and under 2 comforters. I tried to do some very light work in my garden this evening (tying up squash vines on my trellises), and I became very weak, shaky, and out of breath. I checked my standing blood pressure, and it was only 85/58 with a heart rate of 122.

Guess I'll need to talk with one or two of my doctors tomorrow about this. I don't know if they would have a good understanding of the interaction of diet with this issue, though. My only other option is to increase my daily dose of steroids, and there are always serious side effects to doing that.

This adrenal issue may be one reason why I don't have any increased energy from the Whole30 yet, but my sister started at the same time and isn't feeling any improvement yet, either. {sigh} I hate to stop after the struggle to reach this point, though.

Hi Sundance,

Sounds like you have a few issues going on there. Whilst i'm no doctor, and you should probably talk to them about this, what is your eating plan like daily?? Are you getting enough to eat, and enough carbs?

I'm going to have a guess that maybe you aren't eating enough food in general, and you are weak from this. However i'm sure some other people will chime in with some more accurate information...........

In terms of carbs, I'm eating about 1 serving of starchy vegetable and 4 servings of fruit each day.

You have to understand that the symptoms I described are my standard symptoms of low cortisol. I've experienced them many times even when I was eating a very high carb and high calorie diet. I have to take steroids every day to keep me alive. If I experience major stress (illness, accident, or strong emotional stress such as grief), my body needs extra cortisol to cope. If I don't get that extra dosing, I can become very ill, or in extreme cases, can develop hypovolemic shock and die.

The normal human body will vary its production of cortisol to handle stress. Mine can't. I have to adjust my dose of steroids as needed. I was just diagnosed a couple months ago, and am still learning how to deal with it. Sort of like a diabetic needing to learn how to balance their diet, exercise, and stress with the timing and dosing of their insulin injections.

I definitely think you should consult your doctor. Or if you are concerned that they may not be familar with dietary requirments of someone with your condition (as many doctors are) then perhaps do some research and find a nutritionist or naturopathy consultant who has had experience with your conditon. They may be able to help you from a diet perspective.........

Good Luck :)

In addition with consulting with your doctor, perhaps consider a simultaneous consultation or collaboration with a Paleo-minded nutritionist or dietitian. In my experience, most doctors know nothing about nutrition and how to apply it to health issues. As a result, they cannot really do their job properly.

This site has referrals (under "services") and also Chris Kresser is one that is highly regarded.

Thanks, folks. I have to figure out what I can afford, as I'm trying to live on a limited disability income. Just eating a Whole30 diet was pushing the limits of my budget. My health insurance and medical bills take up 60% of my income. It's nearly impossible to live on the remaining $500 a month.

Archived