Listerine

Laura B

Can we use listerine as a breath freshener? I work in sales and sometimes it is not easy to get somewhere to brush my teeth after a meal. Sometimes it is that I am getting a bit of cottonmouth, but don't want to drink a bunch of water because I just ate or am about to eat.

Here are the ingredients: Active ingredients Purpose Eucalyptol 0.092% Antiplaque/antigingivitis Menthol 0.042% Antiplaque/antigingivitis Methyl salicylate 0.060% Antiplaque/antigingivitis Thymol 0.064% Antiplaque/antigingivitis

Inactive ingredients

water, alcohol (21.6%), sorbitol solution, flavor, poloxamer 407, benzoic acid, sucralose, sodium benzoate, propylene glycol alginate, FD&C yellow no. 6, FD&C blue no. 1

Since we aren't ingesting it, is it OK to have?

Thanks!

I have no idea if it is compliant or not.

This is just my opinion, and no offense intended, but Listerine really is a synthetic chemical soup and it smells like it, lol. Perhaps you can find a better mix of more natural ingredients. I use Tea Tree Therapy mouthwash and buy it online at iherb. They have other brands as well.

Thank you! I brush and floss after breakfast and dinner (usually put my retainers in after), but after lunch I just want to freshen up a bit. I am all for an alternative, I guess I just didn't think about it.

That's funny...I had the same question when I started. You're not ingesting it so it's ok. You're also not swishing it because you crave the sweetness in it and can't live without it which is the other concern with chemicals and sweeteners. Swish away just don't swallow!

Archived