How to do this and Travel?

Kali Selner

• Moderators

I don't think doing a perfect Whole30 on the road is possible. Or at least, it would be so hard, I would not try to do it. I think you can eat pretty decent on the road if you make an effort. I've generally been okay, although I don't travel much nowadays. The thing is to take advantage of meat, fish, eggs, and veggies when you can find them. I eat a lot of steak and grilled broccoli when traveling.

pack a box of epic bars or rx bars as well for emergencies...ie if there is going to be a long lag between meals..this way your friend gets some good and convenient nutrition to keep satiated until the next feeding...and hopefully avoids getting so hungry that they just go and eat the first thing they can get their hands on (and too much of it)

They also come in handy if you are still able to eat meals at regular intervals, but if perhaps the choices are extremely limited (IE salads only) then one of those could be eaten with or just after the meal to help fill up and to boost the protein intake.  

It'll involve a LOT of salads (and possibly ordering sandwiches sans bun) but you can come close enough to have some results traveling. I did my W30 with two trips during it - I went to Cologne, Germany for Faschings (Carnival-type costume celebration) and to Nice, France. And I did close enough to W30...it required some careful reading of the menu, and sometimes picking out items that weren't compliant from, say, my stew (picked out the white potatoes and beans). I didn't worry about the sauces in those areas (partly because I didn't speak the language...) and I still had fantastic results.

I did bring fruit, almond butter, carrots, and two meals of dinner in my bags (salmon and green beans, 2 meals' worth) for my traveling time plus HB eggs and crudites for my flight out/train out. A few bags of nuts and some raisins too just in case. I cooked one night in Nice and had a steak, salad, and cooked veggies the other one.

I dont have a choice but to travel on Whole30 because I'm out of town usually twice a month.  What I did this month on a Whole30 (Day 21 now, what? :)) is call ahead and make sure my room had a refrigerator and picked a hotel close to a Whole Foods.  I stocked up on organic canned chicken, tuna, avocadoes, and picked up some of the herbed salmon in the prepared case. I also picked up some celery sticks and carrots and some oranges and olives.  And of course some coconut milk for coffee. I was teaching a kettlebell course for 8 hours and so I packed some Primal Pacs and then Rx Bars (a wonderful alternative to Larabars when traveling because they have protein - don't forget the Whole30 10% discount code) in case I couldn't find a compliant lunch.  It turned out that there was an adorable mom and pop Greek place around the corner and I asked the questions and settled on some babaghanoush with no pita (the man who owned the place asked how in the world I was going to eat it... I said "With a spoon!") He was sweet and brought me some sliced cucumbers.

Just do a little preplanning and don't get overwhelmed!! :)

Archived