Nervously Balancing on Training Wheels

sheba-kitty

So turns out my repeating colds was infact strep throat which I have probably have for about 5 weeks. Now that it is offically diagnosed i have been on antibiotics and getting tons better! I hate taking them, but they really do work when you take them for the right things. Turns out I have developed an allergy to penicillin, so after a horrible reaction on day 2 they switched me to another one. I will be done next week and ready to fully get back on track. In the meantime, I continue to work in more clean meals and ween off the gluten and dairy that has infiltrated my life again.

Almost done with the antibiotics! Have not had an alcohol or sweets for a week now. Dairy is gone from the house again... Need to work on clearing out the gluten again. Eating the veggies is just so hard for me when it is this cold! But still working on getting back on track.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why I am having such a hard time getting back into, once i got into the flow of it... It was easy and delicious. So hard giving up the crap, even though I know it is crap and bad for me. My skin is a mess, my energy is so low, depression is high and weight is way up again.

Just need to commit and get strict and stick with it! My brother is planning a huge feast for tomorrow... Then I will do a big purge (of the kitchen) and prep and plan! I think maybe i even need to read the book again.

I have still kept some good habits, better organic veggies, eggs, meats, and the dairy when I have it.

Restart, Regroup and Reframe for 2014. I am going to take a new approach to HOW I set my 2014 goals.

Year-long Goals

1) TRI: Continue to participate in the multi-sports world by completing 1 or more events in the 2014 season. I will do the Lake Sammamish Sprint in August, and will look for a couple other ones. While I keep considering moving UP to Olympic distance, but I would rather get my Sprint time down to 1:45min before I do that, since I am still at or over 2 hours at this point. But depending on finances, I am also looking into getting a TRI coach to help me do that.

2) BIKE: Increase my average speed from “leisurely†speed (10-12) to the “Moderate†category (14-16) by end of the summer.

3) HEALTHY EATING: My weight is back up, almost to my highest. But after doing a WHOLE 30, and reading “It Starts with Food†I would like to work away from the numbers on the scale as the focus. Instead, I will continue to clean up my eating habits. I will do another WHOLE 30 in both January and July. When not following the WHOLE 30 I will still avoid processed foods, choose organic and GMO free meat, dairy and veggies, limit eating out/take out to no more than 2x per week.

4) DISTANCE: I am also going to set some annual distance goals.

2013 cycled 236 mi; goal for 2014 will be 600 miles.

2013 ran/walked/jogged over 100 mi; goal for 2014 will be 150 miles.

2013 swam over 20,000 yd; goal for 2014 will be 20,000

January Goals

1) MOVE: Since I am pretty out of shape right now, for the month of JANUARY, I will MOVE at least 30 minutes per day. Walk the dog, Play the Wii, do a class at the Y, or dust off a fitness DVD. but I will make an effort to get up and move for at least that amount of time each day.

2) RUN: Re-start Couch to 5K with Jen (my Best Workout Buddy) to improve my running pace and endurance with the goal of running 5K in 40 minutes or less by the end of the summer.

3) HEALTHY EATING: I am going to work with my nutritionist again to reign in some of my eating issues, continue participating in WHOLE 30 forums discussions, continue getting my organic CSA veggie box weekly, continue checking out new Paleo type cookbooks and trying new recipes. For the Month of January I will do a WHOLE 30 and log all meals.

So smart starting the new year's goals ahead of time!  I'm sitting on the sofa still filled with food from yesterday thinking there's no way I'm gonna get up and exercise!  I miss feeling healthier and know that the first week of January is going to be really rough.  

I met with a Naturopath yesterday, to look at how my diet and lifestyle can support better thyroid and cholesterol health. While she liked some of the changes I had made with Whole 30 (but need to return to as I have not fully stuck with them) she also did a blood type test and discussed some changes based on that. I am A+ blood type which apparently means a vegetarian diet would be better suited for me. After eating so much meat, and enjoying it, during the Whole 30, that was a shocking revelation. I have never had any desire to be a vegetarian. She said a pescatarian is closer to what she would recommend for me.

I have not done any research into this blood type eating thing. I know there is a book about it, so I will look for it at the library. I know my brother looked into it at one time and had been vegetarian for a number of years too. But clearly the paleo style, wheat and dairy free diet has been the most successful for a number of years now for him. While we are related and similar, I know that what works for him is not automatically going to work for me.

So the new menu for January is eggs, fish and non-cow dairy, beans and non-wheat grains plus the rainbow of fruits and veggies. Plus Lots and lots of water. I literally started to tear up thinking about not eating any meat but fish… So we agreed that for now I could have some organic chicken now and then to help with the transition. This will be for 4-6 weeks and then we will reevaluate. I will also be getting BACK to the Whole 30 plan of no sugars, fake sugars or substitutes, no alcohol and no processed foods.

I wanted to rush off this morning to grab some quick easy starchy sweet breakfast, but I had stocked up on proper foods yesterday. So I made my veggie scramble with chard, spinach, mushrooms and some of the last of the cajun pork based sausage (will be replacing with chicken versions in the future.)

I need to do some additional food prep and meal planning today for the rest of the week. But lunch will be a salad with some chicken I already have cooked and dinner will be some seared ahi-tuna and stir fry veggies.

I feel like I almost need to do some grief type adjusting to the idea of no meats, but it is only for 4 weeks at this point and I know I can do that. I never thought I could give up dairy for any amount of time and that happened, so this shouldn't be any different.

Onwards!

Slept late because I am on vacation and I stayed up late reading last night.

Food today:

Had black coffee and a banana

Later I had my usual clean eating veggie, egg scramble thing

I am drinking a mega ton of water and tea as required by my nutritionist/ naturopath

For supper I had the same tuna and veggie stir-fry as last night.

I am hungry right now and wanting sugar! So clearly I didn't eat enough today. I essentially missed lunch since I had a late breakfast and an early supper. It is pretty late, but I think I need to just have something. Carrots and hummus are a suggested snack option from my doc, so that will be better than hunting down some chocolate.

When I was still hungry last night I had a leftover partial apple, some carrots and some nuts... Might have been too many nuts. OMG my system is reacting to my dramatic increase in veggies with some uncomfortable bathroom trips or might be the too many nuts.

Since I am POST Whole30 not currently on the whole30 in its entirety and I am really wanting a breakfast that is not eggs.. I am making some Paleo banana blueberry muffins. New recipe from this Nourished App that I found. First recipe from this cookbook. But it basically is eggs, a little coconut flour and oil, a tiny bit of honey then fruit. I am going to have it with some nut butter for some extra fat and protein. I am telling myself it is Better than running to the doughnut shop which is what I want to do right now.

Weening myself off sugar and wine again is rough.

Bfast paleo blueberry muffins, coffee black

Lunch big salad w/ avocado, HB EGG, carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, etc. homemade oil dressing lots of tea

I made 2 at the same time so I have another one in the fridge for tomorrow

Dinner roasted gold and red beets, rutabaga and mushrooms with baked chicken breast. Also made extras so should have some for tomorrow.

Drank the last diet coke with dinner... I should have left it. Oh well.

Feeling the friday night want wine feeling... Must resist!

Late Sunday brunch i had eggs and toast for breakfast so still off plan

Early supper was snow crab and stir fry veggies.

Late evening wine while cooking and prepping for monday

First day back to work after 2 week vacation

Today pre-prepped veggie and sausage fritta and black coffee

Off plan latte

Super veggie salad with HB egg, salami and goat cheese

Apple slices with almond butter

Hubby ordered pizza (damn him!) and I was starving by the time I got home. So I had one slice and then a pile of veggies with hummus.

So still a better day with lots of good veggies but had gluten and cheese in the pizza and milk in the latte.. But still better than the past few days.

Need to do better tomorrow! Have some lunch prep to do before bed tonight.

Archived