Sept 22 and I am jumping in!

ChickenNoodle

Today is day one. My biggest concern in starting is giving up my morning coffee. It is part of my morning routine, sitting with a cup of coffee, watching the news, checking email etc....I get up at 5 and sit and relax for 30 mins. this will be interesting. This morning started with a warm cup of filtered water and lemon. So far so good....but that is typical for the first day ;-)

My other concerns are a few upcoming events, the biggest being a weekend out of state for a triathlon that I

am not prepared for. In addition there is a family event next week (they already know that I am a unique eater) and a football game, I can choose the tailgating menu, but no cold beer :-(

This will be tough butI have got to shake my sugar habit...it is out if control!

Thanks in advance for the support. I have read through a bit if the forum and you all seem like a really great bunch!

how about coconut oil or coconut milk in your coffee? I am on Day 14 of a caffeine free Whole30 and not missing it at all.

Lemon & ginger tea is lovely first thing in the morning and peppermint is very refreshing any time of day but especially after meals. Other times I drink rooibos. 

SharynF...I can not seem to enjoy coffee with coconut or even the bulletproof style, I have tried in the past.

I enjoy my morning cup of coffee so I will just need to find something else that is enjoyable to take its place! This morning's warm lemon water was nice...of course my body is used to having the heavy cream and sugar in my coffee, so with just the cup of lemon water I quickly found my self famished. Weekday mornings are going to be even more hectic with me need a morning meal earlier! I will have to find a clever solution.

ChickenNoodle, you don't like bulletproof coffee? I gave up putting the butter in it when I decided to try Whole 30, but I feel like coffee without coconut oil just doesn't taste the same to me anymore. It's drastically affected my Starbucks spending habit.

Do you use a blender when you put coconut oil or milk in it? Just stirring it doesn't really mix it up good enough for me. I can't forgo morning coffee, but I have tried cutting back. 

This is also Day 1 for me, too. Yesterday was supposed to be, but I have this crazy night eating habit and it got the better of me last night. I'm ready to try again today though and patiently waiting for my yoga class in a couple hours so I can focus on something else besides food. 

What kind of meals do you have planned for this week? Feel free to reach out anytime for support. I have never been so co-dependent in my life, I'm actually the extreme opposite, but when it comes to changing my eating patterns I need all the help I can get! Good luck on Day 1 :) 

Hi Katt, nice to have some fellowship here on this journey :-)

I have not tried blending the coffee, just added the oil/milk. Couldn't get past the floating oil on top. Out of desperation I did make a cup of black coffee, this morning after breakfast, and was VERY pleasantly surprised to find that it was drinkable. It definitely gave me to caffeine pick up that I needed this morning...and one cup was plenty. So for now I will have hot lemon water upon waking then figure out where to squeeze in a breakfast in the morning between getting my kids up and out.

For this week the dinners that I have planned are: roast chicken parts w/braised cabbage and roasted asparagus, Kahlua pork in the crock w/sweet pots and broccoli, roasted herbed whole chicken w/artichokes and roast kabocha or acorn squash, smashed beef skewers w/ zucchini and sweet pot fries. Hopefully there will be plenty of leftovers for lunches, I like salad with meat for lunch so I should be set. Eggs are not my favorite so I maybe repeating the last night's dinner for breakfast. There are 6 of us, 3-4 doing the W30, my 22 & 20 yr old DDs and my husband (partially) are joining me.

How about you Katt...what is on your menu this week?

I just finished making a bunch of cabbage and zucchini chips to use this week as well as baked chicken, made these Asian meatballs on the nom nom paleo app and have a couple cans of tuna made with peppers and onion as a post WO meal. I'm not good about cooking for the week, but hoping I have a couple days worth. I also picked up lettuce wrap stuff, a bag of brussels sprouts, and eggs. I feel like I eat way too many eggs so my focus this week is to use portion control with my protein and instead let myself eat whatever in the form of veggies. My son, almost 17, will eat whatever compliant food I make for dinner, but he gets to eat non-compliant lunches at school. That's our compromise. 

Have you looked at the Nom Nom paleo app? I'm not a cook at all, not by any means, but her recipes are foolproof and there's a whole section for W30. That's been my saving grace lately otherwise when I start to look up compliant recipes I find myself wandering into the paleo-like treat realm. Day 1 is almost over...keep it up! Blending the coffee and oil makes all the difference in the world! 

Blending the coffee really makes a big difference. I drink mine with 1/2 Tb of ghee (well, OK...grassfed butter, but I'm well past W30), a couple Tb of coconut milk, and just under 1 Tb of unsweetened cocoa powder. I didn't even drink coffee before I started eating this way, and now I wouldn't give up my morning cup for anything!

How did you do yesterday, ChickenNoodle? Ready for Day 2? I survived my night eating by just grabbing 2 slices of turkey and a celery stalk (the fact that it wasn't an entire bag of chex mix makes it a victory though I'm trying to stop it completely during this W30). I'm not ready to go to work today, but keeping me busy will help the time pass and distract me from food. Lunch today is about 5oz of chicken breast w/ 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 a zucchini cut into chips and the remaining 1/2 of my cabbage from dinner. I'm also bringing celery along in case I need something crunchier. Breakfast was my coffee w/ coconut oil and a can of tuna fish. I could probably do better, but I didn't want eggs today. 

Have a great day! Keep up the good work, we're already in the 20s for days left :) 

How did you do yesterday, ChickenNoodle? Ready for Day 2? I survived my night eating by just grabbing 2 slices of turkey and a celery stalk (the fact that it wasn't an entire bag of chex mix makes it a victory though I'm trying to stop it completely during this W30). I'm not ready to go to work today, but keeping me busy will help the time pass and distract me from food. Lunch today is about 5oz of chicken breast w/ 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 a zucchini cut into chips and the remaining 1/2 of my cabbage from dinner. I'm also bringing celery along in case I need something crunchier. Breakfast was my coffee w/ coconut oil and a can of tuna fish. I could probably do better, but I didn't want eggs today.

Have a great day! Keep up the good work, we're already in the 20s for days left :)

Katt, tuna for breakfast is fine -just don't forget to add vegies and fat! The fat in your coffee counts, but make sure it's enough. Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food, you can eat whatever you like :) I love eggs, but have enjoyed curry and stews for breakfast a few times with vegetable sides!

Hey Katt...did you start a log? I would love to follow along with you, let me know.

So you sound like a night snacker, but you made it thru day one pretty well! Yay :-)

I am having a hard time with breakfast....really prefer my smoothie over solid food. Fits better with my morning schedule, easy to whip up and portable. I started a thread in trouble shooting to get some feedback. So for now I am hanging in there. Ate a crappy breakfast, hardboiled egg (gag) sausage and some raw veggies. Not awesome ;-)

If I had some beef stew in the frig I would happily eat that for breakfast, that is one of my faves. I have time to reheat something quick, but breakfast is my current hurdle.

Hope you have a great day Katt!

The day is going great so far. I teach 10th grade so they keep me busy. I had to bring donuts for my 1st period and luckily the little vultures grabbed them all before I could even think about them being tempted. The night snacking is a stress issue, it got pretty bad for a while, but I've been keeping a journal when I wake up and really trying not to over do it. 

I haven't started a food log yet because I don't know if I'm that good with the program to actually post my food and take any criticisms lol. I used to always drink my breakfast, that's why this morning I made sure to throw in the tuna for protein, but totally forgot about adding in a vegetable. It did the trick though, I wasn't hungry by the time lunch came around (5 1/2 hrs later). Do you have time in the morning to cook? I don't usually so instead when I'm making dinner I'll make up breakfast for the morning, like hardboiling eggs or making an omelet that I can reheat. I travel a lot and don't like fast food so I'm used to having to eat food cold or using leftovers. Also, like the moderator posted above, breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food so even if you make a slow cooker meal and eat that for breakfast you're covered.

How are you holding up today? I'm thinking dinner tonight is going to be pork chops w/ roasted brussels sprouts and another 1/2 avocado. Will probably roast a few plum tomatoes with the sprouts as well. Checking in on a smaller board like this is definitely easier than reporting to a dozen or so people. Have you started a food log? 

I did start a food log, feel free to check in there to share your journey...at least with me :-)

I do have time to cook for myself but not until 3 hours after I wake, longer if it is a morning that I run. So something I can reheat works well. Takes as long to nuke something as it does to blend my smoothie. I just can't do eggs in the morning *gag*.

Today is going well, I had a big morning slump due to my food options. A cup of black coffee helped me pull thru, along with a few macadamia nuts and a small spoonful of coconut butter :-) almost lunch time here, getting ready to make a salad.

The biggest challenge for me is changing my breakfast routine, the rest of the day is pretty normal sans the spoonfuls of cookie dough, handful of dried (and sweetened) coconut and the Dole Dippers (dark choc covered frozen banana slices) and I anticipate I will be missing my afternoon cappuccino....but meals are not tough for me. We already gave up grains with meals long ago.

Lol @ you missing cookie dough. I gave up grains a while back, too, it's the processed sugars I go to in the middle of the night and the fact that I live behind a relatively famous (in my area) and absolutely amazing cupcake shop doesn't help much either. I'll definitely check out your food log. 

If you can't cook until later in the morning then maybe you could use your shake as a post WO or pre-WO meal and go with a regular meal a little later? On mornings I do crossfit before work it's a good 2 - 2 1/2 hours before I actually eat, too. I'm trying to get better with post WO mini meals, but I run a lot and hate running with food in my stomach. 

If you try blending the coconut oil and black coffee it's almost like a latte. Not quite a cappuccino, but it's not black at least :) I can't drink black coffee. My day is finally over. Day 2 is almost in the bag! Good luck with breakfast tomorrow...maybe each day set a small goal to try something new for breakfast or to at least plan ahead for it and see if you like it. Have you tried making any of the frittata things or even the emergency protein recipes might work as a skillet type breakfast option without eggs. I made these tuna cake things the other day that came out pretty good. I could eat those for breakfast. If you google nom nom paleo spicy tuna cakes it should come up. I didn't use the jalapeño though, only used 1 egg, 1/2 the sweet potato amount and threw in mushrooms and green peppers. Have fun finishing out Day 2. ttyl. 

Hey Katt, welcome to Day 4!

I hope things are going well for you, living behind a bakery sounds like torture! I tried the blended bullet proof and it totally hit the spot :-)

As for breakfast, I have been eating a mini meal an hour after waking and that seems to help. This morning it was a hard boiled egg (gag), and a handful of baby carrot.

I was super cranky this morning, everything went against me...we were out late last night (not really late, 9ish, but the evening routine was shot) and so I woke to a messy kitchen, was tired and just wanted to sit on the sofa and read but I had to get moving and make lunches, out of romaine for DDs lunch salad, couldn't find the last roll left for DSs sandwich, found out someone had eaten the last of the bacon so I had to cook more....had to cook two breakfasts for kids who eat different things at different times due to schedules. All normally not a big deal, but I snapped and yelled at my 20 yr old, then got snippy with my 11 yr old -over lip gloss :-( . Got home at 8 and made a coffee....feeling better now.

Wondering if caffeine is going to become a crutch like sugar was (is!).ugh.

Onward and upward! Enjoy Day 4.... We are doing this!

A deviled egg sounds more appealing than a plain hard boiled. I have never been successful with making a decent mayo, I was thinking that some guac in place of the mayo with chopped jalepenos mashed into the yolks would make some awesome deviled eggs. Maybe I will try that today.

The all in one mayo method rarely fails ChickenNoodle

check out this video. Any stick blender will do but you do need a narrowish beaker, not a bowl. 

I actually took the day off today. It's been raining here for days and my mood just sucked so instead I cooked some healthy standby meals, went to a noon yoga class, and am now working up the energy to go for a run as we are having a slight break in the rain. I feel like  I'm doing okay, but this weather is killing any good mood vibes I might've been able to muster while living through week 1 on W30. My saving grace is I'm going away to a concert this weekend with my best friend who is already on board with keeping me compliant so I feel like if I can get through the next few days I'll finally have some face to face support. 

Just having that many people underfoot in my house would drive me to snapping at someone, ChickenNoodle, and I can completely sympathize with your routine being shot when you come home later than planned. I feel like that when I get out of work late. Like I have all these afternoon plans in my head then a meeting runs late and now everything is shot to crap. Realistically, it'll all bounce back into place. Just breath deeply and remember it'll pass. Glad the blended coffee worked out for you. I find I drink less coffee when I drink it that way. It's much more filling so I can't really stomach more. If you find yourself leaning on the coffee too much you can always switch to tea in the afternoons if need be. You can blend that with coconut oil too and it works almost the same minus the caffeine. Enjoy the rest of your day. Time for me to get my running shoes on!

My run went pretty good. I signed up for a 15K in a few weeks just for something to kind of focus on exercise wise. I'm moving my whole life across the country in 30 days and the stress of that really gets to me sometimes so being able to focus on set tasks makes me not feel so A.D.D.  

Today ended up being a really great day. Now, if only I didn't have to go to work tomorrow I'm sure tomorrow would be even better :) How did you do with caffeine the rest of the day? The rainy weather makes me want comfort foods, too, staying busy helps me not think about it, but it's tough. It's supposed to rain the rest of the week here...blah. Good luck with the rest of your day! 

Archived