Snack Attack

I am a school teacher, so my day starts early. I eat breakfast around 5:45 and lunch around 11 according to the meal template, and I always feel comfortably full. Since my husband gets home at 6 PM, I like to wait to eat supper around 6:15/6:30. 

I can generally make it to lunch without needing a snack, but by 4 o'clock I'm ravenous! I understand the importance of not snacking, but I feel like my body really needs food - otherwise I'll be a wild thing at supper and eat everything in sight (including my kids' and husband's non-compliant foods). 

Today for snack I had a handful of cherry tomatoes and some macadamia nuts. Yesterday I had baby carrots and almond butter, other times I'll have a little turkey or a hard-boiled egg.  Am I on the right track with my snacks, or should I think of it as more of a mini-meal and follow the template? The snacks I've been eating are doing the trick helping me last until 6:30ish. 

By the way, I usually do a one-three mile walk with my dog around 3, depending on how much time I have. So not a workout exactly, but some healthy movement.

Thanks for the advice! I know there's info. on this in It Starts With Food, but I loaned my copy to a dear friend who I'm hoping will join me on Whole 30.

By the way, I'm on Day 10! Hold on tight, Wynne!

I think, depending on what your current athletic shape is A 3 mile walk is worth a workout mini meal. Just following the template for post workout for that snack. And maybe increase the healthy fats at lunch. I am a teacher too so I know the routine. My breakfast holds me fine,but my lunch rarely does. Need to work on that.

I ran into this same problem and some of the moderators said 4 pm is actually when I SHOULD have my snactk. I have breakfast at 6 , lunch 11 and snack around 4 and dinner around 8 pm when I get home from work. I think this sounds like youre on the right path, but who am I , wait for a moderator :)

If you do need to snack, have a mini meal that fits the template. As your day is quite long, a mini meal is probably a good idea.

Your meals should be 4-5 hours apart, so perhaps consider a snack a bit earlier (say 3 if it fits with your schedule?) or snack at 4 and push dinner a little later?

I'm a police officer and so my meal times are all over the place. Some days I cannot go without a snack but some days I can - it just depends. I also try to eat dinner with my fiancee if I am home and sometimes I'm not hungry when he is so it's a huge balancing act.

I think just listen to your body and if you must snack then just make sure it fits the meal template and make it a small one :)

Archived