Starting Whole30/Life for the last time...

KLO

I've attempted this program what seems life a million times. It's not easy. I've been 80% paleo for the past year or so. I like the way it makes me feel. I like the way I look when I'm on point. However, I can't say I haven't struggled. I have a past of disordered eating. Sometimes the "paleo lifestyle" gives me a sense of "safety" and freedom. Other times it's a stressor/ anxiety trigger. 

My motivation for beginning on this journey is TO FEEL GOOD ALL THE TIME. I'm tired of struggling with a sugar addiction. I hate feeling a part of a restrict/binge cycle. I don't want this to be another cleanse or detox. I want it to be the first 30 days of the rest of a *lifestyle*. 

Some things I'd like to see change:

*Sleep - currently I take melatonin every night. 

*Cravings - slay the sugar dragon ;) Sugar is a major contributor to anxiety for me. 

*Hormones - I haven't had my cycle in 2 years. I know this next month may not remedy that situation completely, however, it's a starting point. 

* Body Fat % - I already know that my body responds really well when I am eating well. I want to be consistent with this and sustain "my best body"/leanest. 

**Mindset - I know I need to stop having a "dieters" mindset. This IS a lifestyle. And a lifestyle I will gladly continue with. 

I'm ready to begin this journey and dig in when the going gets tough. I'm excited to give you all a success story next month :) I'll be logging in occasionally (can't promise daily) for support, but mostly for accountability. All of which is greatly welcome!!

~K.Lo

------------------------------------------------------

I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me!  

I can so relate to this.....that sugar is some nasty stuff and I like the thought of restriction framed differently in your mind.....as a means to feel good rather than what you can't have. We think the sugar is fun when really it brings us down. I think it's definitely a way for the devil to keep a believer defeated all.the.time. Well, NO more! You can do it!

thank you both! Today went well... Not sure how I feel about logging just yet. Not counting my calories/macros is hard enough.

@runninglawyer88- how did you overcome amenorrhea? I know I need to retrain my thinking and relationship with food, but I have a serious love of running and working out and giving that up would NOT be fun. Also, if this question is too personal, let me know, but did you have any side effects of not having your cycle for so long? I fear it may have negative effects on my fertility, etc.  

KLO--Well, it came back after gaining ~18 pounds over my comfortable weight. I had seen both a reproductive endocrinologist and my obgyn for several months about the amenorrhea and it was abundantly clear that I wouldn't become pregnant without medical intervention. So, I did some research on hypothalamic amenorrhea (generally that's the cause of an absent period in lean, over-exercisers) and knew what I had to do. Sure enough, after ~6 weeks of unrestrained eating and weight gain my period came back after 6 years of being gone. My husband and I are going through a battery of tests right now because despite being at a weight I don't like and easing off the exercise things aren't quite "normal" yet. My cycles are REALLY long (but they do come) and I might not be ovulating despite getting my period. So, it's going to take some time to get pregnant which was my motivation to gain the weight in the first place. I am/was a runner as well but you can't have it all and it incredibly uncomfortable to stop doing the thing you love AND pile on weight but IF  it has to be done to have a baby then I think it's well worth it. Oh, I also had a bone density scan done and I have moderate osteopenia--I say "moderate" because my doctor isn't concerned but my bone density does fall within the range of "osteopenia" which I suspect is the cause of my recurring and excruciating shin splints. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me anything at all. 

Starting over today... So my whole30 will be 10/16 − 11/15. I think I will go ahead and log here.. It's better than using my fitness pal = / 

I need to do this... for my health and my well being. I want to be able to have kids, I want a good relationship with food, I want a good relationship with my body...... I want to be able to trust myself and trust that God knows whats best for my body and that I don't need to count calories or see a number on the scale to tell me I've done well or keep me in a box. I don't want to be addicted to sugar. I came to the conclusion last night that I need to let my body detox, no matter how hard. And chances are it's going to suck. Oh well. At least I'm not detoxing from heroin right?! Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Today is day one!! Whoop whoop!!

Day 1: 

*3/4c egg whites w/ 1/4 c ground turkey, 2 pc turkey bacon, coffee

* turkey burger w/ 1c cucumber & 10 olives salad

(afternoon green tea)

* Salmon cakes w/ peas & sauerkraut (<— have this every night for digestion)

If I get hungry this afternoon, I'm going to have some more ground turkey. I know I measure things a lot... but that's what I'm used to and feel "safe" with. I want to get away from this as well during this journey. 

Hoping to be asleep by 9p tonight and gets loads of *sleep*!! 

@runninglawyer88 - what a journey! My husband and I aren't looking to have kids just yet, however, I hope it comes more easily than not. Thinking about having to gain weight scares me. Maybe because I'm not ready for kids, therefore I'm not willing to do what it takes yet? I don't know... I admire your strength though. And I truly hope that you guys can start a family soon!!

Scripture for today:

"Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons [flourishes]! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other. God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins.

That might be the case but I will tell you that the longer this goes on the worse it will be. I suggest trying to remedy the relationship with food and your body ASAP--for you, not just for your future family. 

Also, your food looks extremely low in fat. I'd definitely keep at least 2-3 yolks in your breakfast and if you're not already--I recommend cooking the turkey burger in olive or coconut oil as well as the salmon cakes. It's an effortless way to get some fat in there! 

Your meals sound quite small - I'd suggest bumping up the fat and vegies. You should have 2-3 cups of vegies per meal, basically pile your plate up after you've got your protein portion.

Fat is your friend - it'll help with hormones, energy, health, some nutrient absorption, moods etc. so many people are brainwashed to think low fat and less food is needed. Well done for getting off MFP, also try to stop measuring! It's so freeing to be away from those guidelines you set yourself. It'll have a huge positive impact on you

(Just to note, peas aren't compliant unless you're eating the pods too!)

Archived