What should I expect?

amysue7

I've been having some health issues and my personal trainer recommended I do the Whole30. I'm extremely nervous and would like to know what I should expect. What is the hardest part? How do I manage through it? 

I'm planning on starting next week. 

The timeline is a great overview of what people "normally" experience during their whole 30.

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I'd suggest not being nervous about the negatives, but instead focus on the positives :)

You will likely go through a few rough days, but in the scheme of life they aren't that bad....just remember you're likely to feel worse before you get better

You manage through it by eating according to the guidelines and the template. Good meals will help you gain the benefits suggested. The forum is a great place for support and troubleshooting :)

That timeline was scarily accurate for me for the first week or two!

From a practical standpoint, the hardest parts for me were changing up my breakfast (I ate Greek yogurt with granola every day pre-Whole30), cooking a lot more than I was used to and socializing at restaurants. Breakfast sorted itself out eventually and that's no longer a big deal for me, but it took some trial and error to see what I liked. Cooking can be overwhelming at first, but you'll figure out a routine - I had to limit myself to one new/involved recipe a week, and the rest simple burgers or chicken breasts or whatever. And the socializing - that'll be different for everyone. You can find something Whole30 at most places, but make sure to look at allergens as well as just the menus if you can, and often I found that the Whole30-approved dishes won't be as appetizing as what you could make at home. So either you go with your friends and get the boring thing, or eat beforehand and just get veggies or sparkling water or something.

The forums are amazingly helpful, and the site has tons of resources, like the meal template and shopping list. Also, reading other people's success stories was really motivating to me. My Whole30 results were not incredibly dramatic, but I wasn't starting at a place where they needed to be. Depending on what your health issues are, there's a good chance someone has a story here that's similar. There's no guarantee that your experience would be the same as someone else's, of course, but reading those reminded me that health was why I was doing it in the first place.

The hardest part for me is the lack of covienence and time consuming meal prep. You do get used to it though! I started keeping applagte hotdogs and aidells chicken sausage, and frozen veggies on had at all times for quick throw together meals. Good luck to you!

Thank you for sharing personal experiences and for the information on timeline and guidelines. I'm feeling more comfortable about embarking on this journey after hearing from each of you. I'll let you know how I'm doing along the way!

Archived