Not into working out (new feeling)

Emily

I've always been an active person--hiking, climbing, biking (road and mountain), weight lifting and later cross fit, sports . . . you name it. Physical activity has always been a part of my life.

Recently (say the last 6-7 months) I'm just not into it. It's a really weird feeling. I no longer get excited about getting out on the bike; I'm not constantly calculating where I can get a run in; I'm done with climbing after only a few routes... I'm just not into it. It's an odd feeling; I kind of miss wanting to do those things, if that makes sense.

I've been really trying to tell myself that I should just listen to my body and the desire to be active will come back when the time is right. It's actually starting to cause trouble in my relationship, because in the past we have shared many of the active things and it is difficult for my partner (and me) to understand why I'm not interested in those things.

Any thoughts or advice?

A little background: Since Jan 2012 I've lost 16lbs through Whole 30s (one in Jan, one in April, one in July, and planning an October one). My general energy and mood is good and I recently had bloodwork done that came back with fine numbers. What I want to do are slow, relaxing activities--yoga, walking, gentle kayak paddling.

Thanks.

• Moderators

That you want to do something tells me the loss of interest in hiking, biking, lifting is not a symptom of depression. Your interests have developed, changed, shifted... It happens.

I used to love CrossFit. I haven't been to the gym in months. I got interested in kettlebells and train at home instead. I used to be a serious runner - 14 completed marathons, but stopped. I wasn't injured. I enjoyed my last runs, I just lost interest. I've just discovered yoga and love it. I do yoga more than I lift kettlebells.

I think different activities and paces suit us at different times in our lives.

The shift of your interests does have consequences for your relationship. A relationship with many points of connection/attraction can adjust to losing some points of connection. A relationship that is primarily about the shared activities may have trouble adjusting.

Life is not convenient, but it is interesting.

Maybe try increasing carbohydrate intake for a few days and see if you get that spark of energy back?

If I eat too low carb, I start to feel the same way about high activity. It just seems so mentally exhausting and I would rather just stretch at yoga or something. I went through a long phase like this a few months back, I was in a period of losing weight and conscious of my starchy carb intake. When I got to where I wanted and brought more sweet potato, pumpkin, and fruit back to my life....all my energy to play and exert myself came back!

P.S. Sometimes my husband is like 5 yr old and he always wants to play basketball, throw a baseball/football. So it was nice to have the energy back so I could spend time with him doing the things he loves too.

Tom and Megan, thanks for the feedback.

I think different activities and paces suit us at different times in our lives.

Tom, I think this is really true. It's just so unusual for me! I don't know that I've written about my work here, but I work for an ambulance and today, as I was driving code to a call, it occurred to me that perhaps there is currently enough adventure in my life and I'm looking for some balance.

Maybe try increasing carbohydrate intake for a few days and see if you get that spark of energy back?

If I eat too low carb, I start to feel the same way about high activity. It just seems so mentally exhausting and I would rather just stretch at yoga or something. I went through a long phase like this a few months back, I was in a period of losing weight and conscious of my starchy carb intake. When I got to where I wanted and brought more sweet potato, pumpkin, and fruit back to my life....all my energy to play and exert myself came back!

P.S. Sometimes my husband is like 5 yr old and he always wants to play basketball, throw a baseball/football. So it was nice to have the energy back so I could spend time with him doing the things he loves too.

Megan, I think I may have fallen into the losing weight/carb intake trap also. I am enjoying actually being able to lose weight without being miserable (first time in my life!) I appreciate hearing your experience, because I've wondered if there could be a connection. Thanks for sharing it!

Emily you sound really in touch with what is going on. I did a consult call with Dallas a couple weeks ago and we talked about this.....sounds like when you take a step back and look objectively at your life between a really really stressful job, dieting and stressful activities your body may be saying - "Sweetie, lets chill out!"

Intuitively you seem to know that so trust it. I think more carbs maybe a help as it alleviates some of the diet stress factor, your body is telling you to control the activity stress factor and I'm guessing you are SOL on how much you can do to control the job stress (and bless you for doing what you do!)

I'm really jealous and impressed by your intuition. I have a lot of trouble being clear on whether I'm being lazy, or overtrained or need a change.....blah blah blah!

Archived