Day 1-Oct. 22

AmyinCA

Day 1 was good, and I recruited a friend to join me...just in time, we had an early breakfast and he cooked what I had asked for. So when he asked why no gluten, grains, etc. I got to intro the whole plan and he jumped on board also on day 1- cool! (he's been doing no gluten or sugar for a few weeks now)

breakfast was an omlette w/eggs from his pasture raised chickens, bacon (no sugar added), and loads of spinach.

lunch I had the Pork meat balls from Well Fed Cookbook, w speghetti squash and kale and cucumbers...(left over from last night)

dinner was grilled salmon, more kale and butternut squash and green beans.

Sounds like a lot of food, now that I write it out...problem was I still felt hungry most of the day, very soon after eating-strong sugar cravings at night.

Wanted a snack mid day so I had almond butter and an apple, hoping the fat in the almond butter would help me feel fuller. helped a litttle, but still I was surprised at how "hungry" I seemed

Also drank about 6 cups of pur tea throughout the day and 48 oz. of water.

glad to be on my way- any feedback is appreciate.

Your meals sound like you got in plenty of vegies (yay!), protein, but perhaps not enough fat. Besides the bacon, you didn't mention any added fat. This would definitely help with your hunger and perhaps eliminate the need for the snack.

Whilst snacking is discouraged, if you are starving (ie, you'd eat plain steamed white fish and broccoli starving) you should eat - go for a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies instead of fruit and nuts though :)

Okay, so I am just starting Whole30... but I intended on starting Monday, but that totally didn't happen. I didn't plan/prep ahead of time and was a disaster after returning from my shopping spree Mon night... someone had put a whole pack of Oreos on the kitchen counter (how dare them).... I ate...... and ate.... UGH. Anyway, yesterday, I thought I was doing good until I ate bad breakfast at work (biscuit, breakfast casserole, fruit, angel food cake, juice)... but the rest of the day was on point.

Question is.... would today (Wednesday) technically be my start date then?

Treasure~ sounds like today/Wed. would be your start day...but remember you can also have Day #0 to get all your grochery shopping done and meals planned for the week, if you use the Whole 30 DAILY program (on top bar) you'll get an e-mail per day, starting w/ day #0 and ending w/ day #31-It's only day #2 for me but opening that e-mail is the first thing I do every morning, it's packed w/ good advice and motivation, and at the end of the day you can click if you rocked the whole day or need to start over- keeps me accountable since my fam is not partisipating. good luck!!!

Treasure~ sounds like today/Wed. would be your start day...but remember you can also have Day #0 to get all your grochery shopping done and meals planned for the week, if you use the Whole 30 DAILY program (on top bar) you'll get an e-mail per day, starting w/ day #0 and ending w/ day #31-It's only day #2 for me but opening that e-mail is the first thing I do every morning, it's packed w/ good advice and motivation, and at the end of the day you can click if you rocked the whole day or need to start over- keeps me accountable since my fam is not partisipating. good luck!!!

Thanks! I thought so... haha. I didn't realize there was anything to click on the emails, I'll go look now. :) Well, we can still support each other! woohoo!

Day #2, made it almost w/out snacking-few nuts and piece of fruit-still feeling somewhat hungry between meals, tried to have more fat today, some bacon on a salad at lunch and 1 whole avocado throughout the 3 meals, better than yesterday-but still felt a little hungry.

I am not sure about why no snacking on approved foods...I've always had 3 meals and 2 snacks, and been told it keeps my metabolism up...I'm sure it's in the book-I'll have to go back and check. Overall a great day! I started to get a bit of a headache around 11:00am, but it did not last...had a few sugar cravings too...expected:)

Here's what I ate.

b-fast: 9:30 am

3 eggs, sauteed kale, butter nut squash, 14 avocado, black coffee

lunch: 1:30pm

Cobb salad (no blue cheese or regular dressing) At at a restaurant, and had to make modifications to stay Whole30

mixed green salad, bacon, chicken, hard boiled egg, tomato, 1/4 avocado w/ olive oil and lemon dressing. hot water w/ lemon

snack: 5:00pm

almonds and apple, water

dinner: 7:00pm

wild salmon, red beats, green beans, few butter nut squash cubes left over, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, water w/ lemon (it was a very colorful plate!)

Day #2, made it almost w/out snacking-few nuts and piece of fruit-still feeling somewhat hungry between meals, tried to have more fat today, some bacon on a salad at lunch and 1 whole avocado throughout the 3 meals, better than yesterday-but still felt a little hungry.

I am not sure about why no snacking on approved foods...I've always had 3 meals and 2 snacks, and been told it keeps my metabolism up...I'm sure it's in the book-I'll have to go back and check. Overall a great day! I started to get a bit of a headache around 11:00am, but it did not last...had a few sugar cravings too...expected:)

Here's what I ate.

b-fast: 9:30 am

3 eggs, sauteed kale, butter nut squash, 14 avocado, black coffee

lunch: 1:30pm

Cobb salad (no blue cheese or regular dressing) At at a restaurant, and had to make modifications to stay Whole30

mixed green salad, bacon, chicken, hard boiled egg, tomato, 1/4 avocado w/ olive oil and lemon dressing. hot water w/ lemon

snack: 5:00pm

almonds and apple, water

dinner: 7:00pm

wild salmon, red beats, green beans, few butter nut squash cubes left over, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, water w/ lemon (it was a very colorful plate!)

Are you sure the bacon at the restaurant was compliant?

Snacking is discouraged as it's generally mindless and out of habit, not because you need it. If you are starving between meals, you should eat but have a proper mini meal of protein, fat and vegies instead of fruit and nuts. Your metabolism is not going to stop if you don't eat every 2 minutes :)

Hi Ladies :-)

Yep, I started on Oct 22, down here in Australia!  So far, so good, which kind of concerns me, because I've not usually been able to stick to anything like this!!!

I can say without question that I have managed to stick to the program, as far as food content goes, I have snacked on some nuts, fruit and raw veg a little, but am getting out of that habit.  I'm surprised at how not hungry I've been, and am becoming very aware of my eating triggers.

Day 1 was the absolute worst for me - I went on a sugar/junk food bender before Whole30 (not even going to justify it), and had a wicked headache on Day 1, which I expected.  Didn't really feel too much of the hangover effects on Day 2 & 3 as I expected, just tired, but not actually any more than usual - they were actually pretty normal days compared to how I've been feeling lately (which is rubbish, hence the Whole30 for me).

Bacon appears to be banned for me for Whole30, as I cannot find sugar-free bacon anywhere in Australia.  So meat will basically be beef, chicken and fish (I don't eat pork), and I'm trying to include it in every meal.  Without bacon, I'm struggling to do that with breakfast so far, only because I haven't had a chance to pre-prepare some cooked meat to just pull out in the mornings.  I plan to pre-cook some beef and chicken mince (ground beef to you guys!), and some chicken thighs and then just incorporate them into breakfast.

Really glad to find someone on the same timeline as me :-)

Hi Ladies :-)

Yep, I started on Oct 22, down here in Australia! So far, so good, which kind of concerns me, because I've not usually been able to stick to anything like this!!!

I can say without question that I have managed to stick to the program, as far as food content goes, I have snacked on some nuts, fruit and raw veg a little, but am getting out of that habit. I'm surprised at how not hungry I've been, and am becoming very aware of my eating triggers.

Day 1 was the absolute worst for me - I went on a sugar/junk food bender before Whole30 (not even going to justify it), and had a wicked headache on Day 1, which I expected. Didn't really feel too much of the hangover effects on Day 2 & 3 as I expected, just tired, but not actually any more than usual - they were actually pretty normal days compared to how I've been feeling lately (which is rubbish, hence the Whole30 for me).

Bacon appears to be banned for me for Whole30, as I cannot find sugar-free bacon anywhere in Australia. So meat will basically be beef, chicken and fish (I don't eat pork), and I'm trying to include it in every meal. Without bacon, I'm struggling to do that with breakfast so far, only because I haven't had a chance to pre-prepare some cooked meat to just pull out in the mornings. I plan to pre-cook some beef and chicken mince (ground beef to you guys!), and some chicken thighs and then just incorporate them into breakfast.

Really glad to find someone on the same timeline as me :-)

Can you not have eggs?

Bacon is considered a fat source rather than a protein, and should be used as a condiment, so you aren't missing out on much really! Depending on where you live, you may be able to get bacon - check our the Australia thread in the " sourcing good food" section!

HI Everyone, ok here it is day #4, yay!

Yesterday was good, didn't get the moody feelings the timeline talks about, but was super sleepy around 5pm, was just getting off work and heading to grochery so no nap time possible, however did skip working out...went into 1 grochery store, hungry and tried to head straight for the meat section for a pork loin, the sweet smells were over whelming...and couldn't find a single oraganic humainely raised cut of meat, so I left but I was starving and feeling weak, grabbed some nuts and coconut chips, when I got to the car I checked the coconut chips and saw sugar as the 3rd ingredient - so I gave away immediatly...sorry bf :( anyway, then off to Whole Foods where I knew I could get the pork organic.  Had to get out of out of there ASAP! Man! temptation everywhere!

I made the pork loin w/ garlic and few spices and balsamic vinegar and oilve oil, a recipe I saw on a Paleo site. Along w/ the meat I made the fried apples w/ bacon and pecans from and roasted speghetti squash w/ coconut oil, cumen and garlic. Both recipies from WELL FED! I loved it and my bf ate it up...he's not doing the Whole30, but at night since I'm cooking he's happily eating the meals I prepare...which since I don't make any carbs means he goes w/ out pasta, rice or potatoes at night, which used to be a regular thing for us both...then just him, and now neither. progress:)

I am still having a heck of a time not snacking...I usually make it after b-fast but mid afternoon I'm still having one...snacking on either nuts or usually nuts and fruit together, so there's protein, carb, and fat...I've yet to have any fruit by itself...part of the problem is I need to cook up some more meals and have leftovers so I can eat a mini-meal rather than nuts/fruit when I'm starving. This weekend I'll attempt the Cook Up! Also, I can see that a good percentage of my snacking is habit...but I am really hungry in these first few days.

Hope everyone's doing well! Let me know what you're eating!!

b-fast: black coffee, eggs, w/ sauteed in coconut oil zucchini, onion, mushroom, 2 chicken apple sausage (organic and no sugar added) , 1/2 avocado

lunch: tri tip- 4 slices, mixed green salad, veggies, olive oil, vinegar and lemon dressing, roasted butternut squash cubes

snack: cashews/apple

dinner: pork loin, speghetti squash, cocnut oil and spices (Well Fed pg. 123), fried apples w/ bacon and pecans (Well Fed pg. 147)

40+ oz water throughout the day, 2 cups herbal tea

oh and god point about the bacon in a restatuant, this was a farm to table place in SF...so hopefully, but I guess eating out is almost impossible for the 30 days, anyone have any go-to safe meals they routinely order if they have to eat out...maybe just a salad no bacon, but eggs may not be organic...omletts could have milk added...I know I have to be out this weekend 1x and need to figure it out asap, or else I'll be "that girl" who brings her own food stashed in her purse...could happen..

thanks!

oh and god point about the bacon in a restatuant, this was a farm to table place in SF...so hopefully, but I guess eating out is almost impossible for the 30 days, anyone have any go-to safe meals they routinely order if they have to eat out...maybe just a salad no bacon, but eggs may not be organic...omletts could have milk added...I know I have to be out this weekend 1x and need to figure it out asap, or else I'll be "that girl" who brings her own food stashed in her purse...could happen..

thanks!

It doesn't matter about being organic, but you can easily ask about ingredients or have things cooked in ways you know are compliant. I would contact the restaurant now and ask, or at least check out their website/menu - most will be happy to help you out :)

Ask for meats to be cooked dry, no seasonings, no oils.

Ask for poached eggs, or scrambled/omelette with nothing added,

steamed vegetables or fresh salad,

ask about gluten - even in meat

avoid sauces, and processed products that'll likely contain sugar (roasted peppers/antipasto grilled vegetables)

Dressings will likely be non compliant oil, added sugar, potentially soy and gluten - take your own!

Yes, you need to be that anal!

Also, a mini meal is protein, fat and vegies, not protein, fat and carbs! Fruit and nuts don't fit the template - no protein or vegies! HB eggs with some vegie sticks would be an easy mini meal to have prepared. Increasing breakfast and lunch portion sizes may also help eliminate the need for a snack :)

thank you!! ready to make it thru the weekend!!

HB eggs, brillant!

And yes protein, fat and veggie (I meant veggies and stacrchy veggies like yams when I said carbs, I always thought those (and fruit) were considered "simple carbs" (vs complex carbs) but yes, I get it, thanks..it's also a new language.

Ready w/ coconut aminos and a mixture of virgin olive oil/lemon for the restaurant!

have a great weekend!! And thanks!

oh , I think the hunger is leveling out...it seems

Hello Day 7!!! Whooo hoooo! Made it thru the first week (and the first weekend-day 5&6) better than I expected.

Energy kicked in yesterday, day 6, as soon as I woke up, plus I had 9+ hours of sleep that night.

I LOVE the daily e-mails and so appreciate all the information, it's the first thing I look at in the morning and usually the last thing before bed, there's a TON of info. and I want to read it all. All the information about sleep is so great, I've kinda always known I should be getting more than 7 hours, but to have it in black and white and sourced from the Mayo Clinic, plus other books & articles- GREAT!

I'm even using it to inform my boyfriend of new healthy habits I'd like "us" to adopt...I can see the changes happening. I went to bed an hour earlier last night, and him just a 1/2 hour behind me...usually it's at least an hour if not more...

so this weekend....Sat. I had a friend come to town and knew we would be eating dinner out, so just in case I pre-ate at home: roasted chicken, roasted veggies, butternut squash- I figured if I went to dinner and wans't hungry it wouldn't be the worst thing, as I was just going to spend time w/ one of my best friends. As soon as we sat down I ordered a bubbly water and lime (thank you newsletter) and she got a beer, no craving there...my water was incredibly refreshing and even tasted sweet w/ the lime. We went to a new hip mex restaurant in SF...and a huge and I mean huge bowl of chips, salsa and guac. was immediatly set in front of us. I ate a few bites of guac. (after I checked ingredients) w/ my fork, lol. And I LOVE chips...but the desire to crunch them just wasn't there...totally weird, but such a relief!!

The ONLY thing I could find on the menu was a salad, so I ordered it and had the chick peas removed...but it still came w/ cheese on top, something that wasn't listed on the menu, sigh...but since I wasn't starving I just let it sit and enjoyed the company, no big loss.

The next morning we hit a farmers market and decided to eat there...risky, I've always felt the farmers market was so healthy...but it all looked different that day, tons of "healthy" pastry, some gluten free, tons of fruit, nothing I could make a meal of, finally just before I was about to bail and find a restaurant for eggs and bacon we found a food stand making farm fresh organic eggs, chicken apple sausage, fruit and toast, I ordered w/ out the toast and that meal saved my life.

Eating Whole30 out takes some skill that's for sure, and knowing a few places to go takes time and experience...but I made it through.

(and what I am realizing is that I'd rather just make my own food, which is a total turn around becasue I've always been someone who "doesn't cook", lol...look at me know)

And today, Monday is day #7 and I am FINALLY going to get to "the cook up" today, It never happened last week d/t work and such, I would make 2 or 3 meals at a time, but today I am doing the whole thing...can't wait to load the frig up! I also work Fri/Sat/Sun...so Mondays are my day off.

Also, today I check out CROSS FIT here - there's one location where I live and I have been wanting to look into it, and it's funny - I didn't even know the Whole 30-Cross Fit connection, until after I called and made the appointment 2 weeks ago...(today was the first day the owner had an open spot to talk to me!) It's like after I put that on my calendar I started seeing the reference everywhere...the WELL FED cookbook, posts, etc. love it! I've always worked out at a gym and it's so booooring, so I'm super excited to try something new!

Oh and thank you Whole 30 for that FOOD FOR THOUGHT pdf. this am in the Whole30 Daily... love me a progress report:) Just printed it

It's impossible not to talk to people about the Whole 30, and this weekend alone my best friend who visited, and 3 other people got an ear full when they asked why I looked like I've lost weight (I've already lost some, I can tell in my jeans) or why I'm not eating _____ .

I even told a few of my clients (I'm a massage therapist/yoga instructor) when the conversation turned to health and nutrition. Luckily I had my books w/ me and could show folks certain bits of info. rather than trying to remember it all myself. Each person I talked to said they felt inspired and wrote down the web site or name of the book to look into further.

Anyway, clearly I have a ton of energy this am too, time to make b-fast!! My favorite meal of the day!

Hope everyone that started recently is doing great, I'd love to hear!!!

Happy Monday!!

Love your log! I just ordered the Well Fed cookbook and I'm super excited to start cooking from it.

Any receipes you've enjoyed more than others?

And I feel like such a dummy now: we started onthe same day and somehow I've been tracking that I'm on day 6. I'm on day 7!!! WOOO HOOO!!! Only 23 more days to go! Although I can already tell that I'll be maintaining much of the same habits but adding a few cheats on occasion.

SarahEM~

As far as receipes go...I've been relying heavily on the roasted speghetti squash (pg.123) NEVEr before have I eated this and OMG. Melissa tells you exactly how to make it (unside down in oven) which I would never have come up w/ on my own...tossed w/ coconut oil and cinnamon, or c. oil and garlic...I'm addicted for sure.

Czech meatballs (pg.89) were a hit in my house, I made those the first day. However, next time I make them I'll leave out the caraway seeds-I don't love the taste...and I need to find something to make them a bit more juicy...maybe I used meat that was too lean. But those on top of the speghetti squash is fun.

sunshine sauce (pg.45) is a great dip for chicken or raw veggies...I made mine toooooo spicy, when she says a "dash" of ground cayenne she means a dash, it's also optional, I think I'll skip nx time as I'd like more of the susflowerseed flavor..

fried apples (pg. 147) w/ bacon and pecans, OMG! served this w/ a pork loin and kale w/ mushrooms. Remember pork and apple sauce as a kid? Well this is that all grown up w/ out all the suger from jarred apple sauce. It's already been requeted here since. Enjoy cooking! I've NEVER liked cooking, ever, ever, ever...my bf is just staring at me dancing around the kitchen, I think he's afraid it's all a dream, ha!

This week I'm going to attempt Scotch Eggs and try my hand at Cauliflower mash...

good luck and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

18 days in...good things are happening. Jeans are way looser, even my sweat pants are looser, I have to say I am dying to step on a scale...luckily I don't have one at here home, but I was housesitting at my Uncle's on day 15 and almost stepped on the bathroom scale I have used to track my ups and downs- but I resisited...that was harder than any craving yet!

Speaking of cravings...maybe because the holidays are getting closer but I have had more cravings for something sweet or bready this week than I did either of the first two weeks...that was a surprise, but I've maintained...I have been looking for Paleo (non W30) goodies I can make for Thanksgiving as to not go too far off the W30, since after a few days after T-giving I plan to do another 30 days to finish out the year:) I'd love some tried and true recipes if anyone has some favorites.

Also this week I deciced to give up coffee....ahhhh, not fun. 2 days of headaches and lower energy than I expected....I wanted to give it up at the start but I talked myself out of it...(easy to do since it is allowed on the W30) but I know I have an unhealthy relationship w/ it since it's one of those things "I need" in the morning...so my plan was to wait until 1/2 way through the W30 until my energy levels were riding high and then I'd give it up and barely notice, HA! wrong! I'm a little bummed that I have not experienced the great energy of week 3 becasue of this...

but my energy levels could also be due to fighting off a bug...everyone in my house is sick except me, I have no symptoms anyway but I feel like I could sleep at any time...in fact I may take a quick 20 min nap now:)

But overall things are great, and I am loving the W30...just a little hiccup w/ the timing of the coffee, but I'm committed to sticking to it for the last 2 weeks. I use it to study eary in the am, because it feels like it gets my brain firing super fast...but I am concerned about the coffee becasue I have heard that while it stimulates your brain it may not be the best for brain function/cognition when needing to recall a large body of information, it's a study I read while in grad school but now can't find...I am studying for a huge State board exam (Chinese Medicine) in Feb., and I don't want anything inhibiting my recall...and it's a slippery slope because I definitely experienced the blank feeling when I over caffeinated before a test a few times in school. if anyone know's the "sciency stuff" reguarding caffeine and the brain/memory please let me know!

Good luck everyone! Take care!!!

woke up feeling much better this am, not sluggish- even w/out the coffee. I am drinkng a big cup of decaf. w/ coconut cream, which is fun.

Last night I made the Country Chicken from Well Fed, I liked it but I think I added too much curry powder, and had too many chopped onions etc. With a little tweaking I think it will be a favorite. Today I am going to make the Pad Thai, really looking forward to having a big bowl of "noodly" comfort food.

b-fast this am is my standard and favorite:

fry up 2 strips of bacon, remove from pan and add a little coconut oil to grease and saute onions, garlic and sweet potatoes.

Add some apples, parsley, green onion and the previousy cooked bacon (chopped up) when sweet potatoes are done and continue to saute for just another minute or two (depending on how soft you want the apples, they cook fast)

Cook 2 eggs over easy in coconut oil.

serve eggs over saute mixture so yolk breaks and runs into potatoes, etc.

I add 1/2 avocado on top and some sauerkraut on the side.

yuuummmm!

enjoy the weekend everyone :)

• 2 weeks later...

somehow it got to be day #29...unbelievable!

I'm a little scared for it to end.

been making good choices but uncertain if they are really "in there" yet.

Planning on going to day 32...this saturday before having anything off plan, and relaxing the week of T-giving, but not going crazy.

Looking at heathy Paleo dishes I can make for the holidays... and luckily there is always plenty of meat around this holiday! We're having Prime Rib!

I would like to do another 30 right away, but w/ X-mas on the 25th there isn't time.

Thinking realisticaaly it will be Sat. Nov. 20th before I start back on Whole30 (leftovers friday:)

and I could go right up until say...Dec. 23rd/24th (usually our big dinner is X-mas eve) so thats another solid 3 weeks plus a few days, think that's what I'll do...even though it's not a full 30, better than eating w/ out boundaries for the weeks in between the holidays...I'm mostly looking for a way to cement the last 30 days. Also, the biggest results I had this time came in the first 3 weeks: my skin completely cleared up around week 2, I feel like I've lost 6-8lbs., I WILL be checking tomorrow! Sleep is better, although I never had much of a problem there but my energy is definitely better, no 3pm slump.

I'm still struggling w/ giving up caffeine completely, still struggling w/ no snacking on nuts and fruit or sun butter, and a few other little things I can't remember at the moment.

Congrats everyone! Did anyone take before pic?

I did it! I ROCKED my FIRST Whole30! Today is day 31! I am a 52 year old female. I lost 10% of my bodyweight, which was too high to start with. My boyfriend and I did it together. He got from the 280's into the 260's, and he is thrilled, and never wants to go back! I no longer have the arthritic neck pain that was a constant source of discomfort. Today, we are reintroducing dairy. I already tested ALLERGIC to dairy many years ago, but I have never before so completely eliminated it for this length of time. I'm going to go pretty easy on the reintro today, and am very interested to see how I react.

Archived