Starting Monday Nov 4th !

Girltony

So I'm on day 4 and feeling fine, not feeling at all like i want to quit. Just getting bored with the food, tired of cooking and doing so many dishes that cooking brings. I'm afraid im not eating enough veggies at each meal but I cannot hold 2 cups of veggies, protein and fat. Its just too much. It seems like too much food, I'm not hungry enough. I'm just feeling kind of blah and my mood is going up and down and up and down.

oh did I mention I'm simultaneously quitting smoking and doing Jillian Michaels 30day shred?? I'm cranky, tired, sore, craving cigarettes and I never want to see my kitchen again. I really need help setting up a meal plan for the week. I thought I did a good job this past weekend but I obviously did not and I've been cooking almost every night. Does anybody have advice for a meal plan?? I'm also on a tight budget as I live in Alaska where everything is extraordinarily expensive and I cringe every time I go to the grocery store.

Thanks,

Izabella

Damned impressed that you are giving up cigarettes and doing this as well! I feel like I have given up life and taken up kitchen duty so I strongly empathise. I am using http://www.pepperplate.com/planner/ which is pretty nifty. it links to some recipe sites and if you select a recipe it puts ingredients into shopping list. I dont know if it has an app - I wanted an online one so i could use keyboard. Oh and allrecipes.com is one of pepperplates recipes sites and if you search paleo quite a few things come up that are suitable.

Good luck

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All, 

Everything going fine on the food front, however felt so dowwwnnnnnn yesterday.  Black Dog Indeed -_-   Today I feel a bit better so I am hoping by Sunday, my mind will be clearer and feeling good!

I have a question re breakfast.  This is what I usually have and it keeps me going till way past lunch. 

3 eggs,

hand full of pork mince or bacon,

tomato

mushrooms,

capsicum

spinich.

Is having the eggs AND the meat too much?   Like I said, this seems to work really well for me and it keeps me motoring along.  

Sometimes I have an omlette made from 3 whole eggs, bacon, banana and cinnamon.....DELICIOUS!!!

Hope you feel better, i know how hard those days are - I seem to have managed to leave the black dog on the beach (fingers crossed it doesn't find its way back!) but i did get hit by a tidal wave of tiredness and feel like I sleep-walked through about 48 hours. Not sure about breakfast - I cut back how much protein i was having (but kept fat and veges) because I wasn't getting hungry til early afternoon which was making dinner to late

take care

Checking in - I'm finding this time around easier than last! But I went against my egg-avoidance and I think I'm paying for it with stomach pain. Going to cut them out again. Quite annoying because I know I can't eat gluten and I'm sensitive to dairy so having another thing I won't be able to have will be tough, hopefully it's short term (and I think it might just be when I eat whole boiled eggs rather than as an ingredient). 

Also missing my coffee terribly.

Hi, I started W30 on Monday as well, but haven't posted here yet.  I went low carb about 2 yrs ago doing Atkins and lost 32 lbs but never did beat the sugar dragon completely, b/c I was using a lot of sugar-free stuff.  I also love dairy and enjoyed heavy cream and cheese.  The past few months I was completely back on SAD so I expected to really crash this week on W30 but so far other than some headaches it hasn't been too bad.  Guess this is day 5, although I did have some tea on day 1 that turned out to have soy lecithin in it (I never knew to check tea labels until I read somewhere here!)  So I'll make sure to go at least one day further than 30 at the end.  I'm actually hoping to stay on it longer.  I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, asthma, osteoarthritis, hypertension and some GI issues that I hope to improve (most did improve substantially while I was on low carb so I think I am at least gluten sensitive).  I've never given up dairy before but I made myself get used to putting coconut oil in my coffee, along with cream before I went W30, and then switched the cream to coconut milk for this, so it wasn't a big transition. 

I should probably do the AIP but can't quite face giving up things like tomatoes and peppers while I'm still getting used to no dairy or artificial sweeteners.  So, if my symptoms persist past 30 days I'll try those then.

Earlier this week I blanched  some of my vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli) and put them in the fridge so that they are already cut up and partially cooked and I can just throw them into the pan with eggs, meat, etc and they cook quickly.  Or even just heat in the microwave.  That has definitely helped me add in more veggies, esp to breakfast. 

I have a question about timing of meals.  I normally eat breakfast around 7:30 am, then lunch around 1 pm.  I work 2 nights a week from 4 to about 9 pm.  On those days I have been eating lunch later, about 2:30, to last me longer, and then eat supper about 9:30.  (on non-work nights I eat about 6:30 or 7 pm).  Is this bad, to be eating so late?  I'm always hungry by then but I have tried to make it a smaller meal and eat more at lunch.  I've been taking a small container of cashews or macadamias with coconut flakes to work in case I'm starving but so far haven't needed it.  There is zero possibility of eating a meal while at work. 

I have been pretty restrictive about fruit so far, still thinking in low-carb mode but I did have a pear one day with a meal and I did get a couple of starchier veggies like butternut squash (yum) and sweet potatoes.  I'm glad I read the W30Timeline b/c although I feel less bloated already, my pants are still quite tight (I had regained all the weight I lost on Atkins) and I would have been disappointed if I hadn't been expecting that.

Anyway, it's very helpful reading others' posts here!

Karen

Damned impressed that you are giving up cigarettes and doing this as well! I feel like I have given up life and taken up kitchen duty so I strongly empathise. I am using http://www.pepperplate.com/planner/ which is pretty nifty. it links to some recipe sites and if you select a recipe it puts ingredients into shopping list. I dont know if it has an app - I wanted an online one so i could use keyboard. Oh and allrecipes.com is one of pepperplates recipes sites and if you search paleo quite a few things come up that are suitable.

Good luck

Thank you so much for the response! :) good luck to you too

YES!!  Feeling a lot more positive as of last night.  Eating is going fine and I am very happy that I have been able to resist the temptation to have an alcoholic drink on Friday or Saturdays nights.  The habits we get into!!  Sparkling mineral water with some fresh lemon juice is my preferred beverage at the moment :)

To keep myself organised, I normally make my breakfast and lunch the night before while I am preparing dinner.   I get up really early here in QLD - it is daylight at 4.30am and the birds start chirping at 4am.  When I am not at home, I take that opportunity to go for an hour long walk so that when I get home at 5.30am I have a shower, get ready to for, grab my food that I prepared the night before and then I hit the road.

1st week nearly done and dusted.  Next week I am going to aim to increase my exercise and continue to refine my food!   Keep going everyone.!

YES!!  Feeling a lot more positive as of last night.  Eating is going fine and I am very happy that I have been able to resist the temptation to have an alcoholic drink on Friday or Saturdays nights.  The habits we get into!!  Sparkling mineral water with some fresh lemon juice is my preferred beverage at the moment :)

To keep myself organised, I normally make my breakfast and lunch the night before while I am preparing dinner.   I get up really early here in QLD - it is daylight at 4.30am and the birds start chirping at 4am.  When I am not at home, I take that opportunity to go for an hour long walk so that when I get home at 5.30am I have a shower, get ready to for, grab my food that I prepared the night before and then I hit the road.

1st week nearly done and dusted.  Next week I am going to aim to increase my exercise and continue to refine my food!   Keep going everyone.!

That made me so homesick! I lived up your way for a few years and remember those crazy early morning bird chirping sessions. Nothing quite like waking up in the tropics - enjoy!

I too am trying for more exercise this week - last week I seemed to be in bed or in the kitchen! 

Hope its a good week

Well - made it through the weekend. Haven't been here and just catching up on everyone's posts - looks like we are keeping strong and hanging in there!

The two things that I really noticed over the weekend - man, I REALLY wanted a glass of  wine or something Friday night. Sat. wasn't too bad.

I have been REALLY tired. Like sleeping 10-12 hours a night and still tired. Have been very busy the past 3 days as well, so there is some physical exhaustion as well as the carb-less exhaustion.

Ready to get week 2 going!

Jen

Still going well I think.  I did have kind of a bad day on Saturday - had to spend 4.5 hours out in freezing cold wind for dd's soccer tournament, and drank coffee but no water (I did eat a good breakfast earlier) then came home, ate lunch quickly and took a nap before we had to attend ds's Scout banquet.  I took a fruit salad which was just cut-up fruit and unsweetened coconut and coconut milk.  I managed not to eat anything obviously off-plan but since I didn't know exactly how things had been prepared I just had to take a chance.  I ate turkey and pulled pork (no sauce), plain green beans, some  raw veggies and some of my fruit.  I did try some cole slaw but it tasted sweet so I assume some sugar in there.  Also ate one deviled egg, b/c I usually take those to dinners myself and know how i make them, but not thinking this time that they probably had noncompliant mayo in them at the least. 

I also realized this weekend that the lemon and lime juice i have on hand is not compliant!  I'd been using bottled stuff which has sulfites added for preserving - yuck.  I bought some whole lemons and limes yesterday.  I don't think I'd used it much last week except in making my mayonnaise. 

Then yesterday I realized that the extreme fatigue had caught up with me - from the program and/or the crazy Saturday activity.  Either way I was exhausted, wanted only to nap all day but unfortunately didn't have that luxury!  But I also recognized that I was probably dehydrated since I didn't drink nearly my normal amount of water on Sat.  I do feel better today after drinking a lot yesterday.

also having some GI upsets.  When I went on low carb before I had to take magnesium to ward off constipation.  This time I am having the opposite problem.  Hope it's just the die-off of the bad guys.  I need to get some probiotics or make some kombucha tea.

Wonder if I need to technically start over since I had several non-compliant things without realizing it?  Not the same as caving in and eating a donut obviously.  Well, I plan to continue longer than 30 days anyway before re-introducing anything so I guess I'll be fine.

Karen

Happy to report great energy levels today!! Definitely noticing the difference it makes being completely off sugar and processed carbs once again. I caved and had a coffee on Sunday (with ghee and coconut oil). However I paid for it in the afternoon with nausea (I think that's what caused it anyway). Not craving it again today - sticking with my matcha tea. I won't restart - I'm planning to go to Christmas and beyond anyway with my Whole 56 and coffee is technically compliant. 

M1: beef mince with garlic and ghee

A banana (post 4-mile walk to work)

M2: homemade chicken carrot and sage soup, apple

Will likely have a little snack pre- and post- ballet class.

M3 will be leftover pork belly from yesterday, sweet potatoes and greens.

Checking in to see how we are all doing!

Things are going well for me and am really enjoying all the real foods again! WHY did I let my old bad habits come back so much after my first W30?? Still sleeping VERY well, which is not the norm for me. One thing I have added in this time around that I did not is magnesium. I take 100 mg/day and it seems to be helping with my sleep.

One thing that does tempt me and that I miss (as was with last time) is having a glass of wine or nice craft beer now and then. But I did it before and know I can get through it again - it's just 30 days!

Hope everyone is having a super strong week!

Jen

I guess this is day 11 and so far no slip-ups!  I am really surprised and gratified to see how much easier it has been to stay off sugar this time, compared to when I did low-carb and still had artificial sweeteners.  I really have not had any strong cravings.  I'm smart enough to realize that they WILL come at some point but happy so far. I've had a few food dreams, not the huge craving ones but just ones where I ate something casually, not compliant, and then was horrified to realize I'd have to start over, but wake up and find it was all a dream! 

The last few days I've been surprised to see how not hungry I've been between meals.  I mean, have skipped either lunch or dinner twice (not intentionally but b/c of work schedule) and was fine.  Even when I do get hungry, it's not that desperate, low blood sugar crash kind of hunger I used to have.  Definitely good signs!

Karen

Day 14 - and not feeling the love!

Anyone else still feeling less than brilliant? Day 8 & 9 were good but since then I've been tired and crabby - the food isn't an issue (other than my work mates having a morning tea which was hard) but so low in energy that each day feels challenging.

I went to gp (who does functional medicine) and she's ordered blood tests to check its nothing else and advised sticking with whole 30 and eating some more veg & fruit carbs.

But I am sick of being tired and flat.

Sorry for grizzle but not feeling very chirpy

Cheers

Day 14 - and not feeling the love!

Anyone else still feeling less than brilliant? Day 8 & 9 were good but since then I've been tired and crabby - the food isn't an issue (other than my work mates having a morning tea which was hard) but so low in energy that each day feels challenging.

I went to gp (who does functional medicine) and she's ordered blood tests to check its nothing else and advised sticking with whole 30 and eating some more veg & fruit carbs.

But I am sick of being tired and flat.

Sorry for grizzle but not feeling very chirpy

Cheers

What have you been eating? A few days of food log may help...

Low energy and cranky pants may be due to too little fat and carbs

Well folks. I have to start again!  Last night went out to a work mates fare well drinks.  I had beer, hot chips and an ice cream.  Boy did my tummy HATE that.  I am not going to beat myself up too much about this. :wacko:

Today was another day and I just went back to what I had been doing since the beginning of the month.  

All of the beautiful summer fruit and veges are starting to appear on road side farm stall.  YUMMO :)     \

Hope everyone else is going strong and reaping the benefits of this wonderful way of life. :)

Well folks. I have to start again!  Last night went out to a work mates fare well drinks.  I had beer, hot chips and an ice cream.  Boy did my tummy HATE that.  I am not going to beat myself up too much about this. :wacko:

Today was another day and I just went back to what I had been doing since the beginning of the month.  

All of the beautiful summer fruit and veges are starting to appear on road side farm stall.  YUMMO :)     \

Hope everyone else is going strong and reaping the benefits of this wonderful way of life. :)

Hang in there Jackie! You may have slipped up last night, but it is great that you got right back on track today. Keep it up!

It's been really quiet here lately - I hope that everyone is doing well and having a great W30 experience. I am sticking to plan but this past week have had some of the crazy food dreams where I eat something I am not supposed to. I know what I am doing in my dream but just can't or don't care to stop myself. Normal but starting to feel guilty having these night after night! LOL

Here's to a great weekend for us all - we have made it through 19 days - the finish line isn't too far away!

Hello Everyone!

I'm plugging along and staying on track in spite of sugary treats all over the kitchen at work.

I feel much better than I did at the beginning of the month & always looking for something easy and new to make. I made a roasted cauliflower/leek/chicken soup that turned out really good, finally finished it up tonight. I'm on my second bath of home made mayo & have been drinking tons of water. I'm not sure why I feel thirsty all the time but it makes it much easier to get the water down. Hope we get some people to check in this weekend :-)

Our board is quiet! :(

I am still chugging along and feeling great changes!

I went to the store today to get what I need to make a Whole30 Thanksgiving feast... hoping it goes well... found the recipes on Whole9 website...we shall see!

Best of luck to everyone as we are in the home stretch...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Our board is quiet! :(

I am still chugging along and feeling great changes!

I went to the store today to get what I need to make a Whole30 Thanksgiving feast... hoping it goes well... found the recipes on Whole9 website...we shall see!

Best of luck to everyone as we are in the home stretch...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Super job!

Feeling really great as well. Thanksgiving has never been a big temptation for me so not stressed about going off plan. But I have reached the point in the W30 that I am ready to be able to have a few more options. Went to a luncheon yesterday and barely was able to eat anything and pretty sure the steamed veggies had butter - oh well!

Happy Thanksgiving to all from the US on here!

Jen

PS - sad that it is so quiet on our board too! Hope that means everyone is too busy making W30 foods that they don't have time to be online! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still going...as my husband started a week after me his 30 is today!

As for my results on day 30 which at this point was last week:

Down 14 pounds

Little to no swelling of my hands and feet

Had a minor form of psoriasis on my arms (GONE!)

Just plain old FEEL BETTER overall!

Hope everyone had great and satisfying results as well.

My husband is seeing great changes too and plans on continuing it into the new year (despite his massive amount of initial complaining!) !!!

Take care!

Angela

Archived