Reintroduction Meal 1- already feel bad, do I have to keep going?

vivz

On my first meal of reintroduction (I decided to start with gluten), I had 3 bites of noodles and some baguette, and already feel bad - stomach cramp, a lot of itchiness in my throat, lips and hands. Do I really need to continue throughout today and have gluten with each meal today? I'm already ready to write off gluten for good...Will I get a more complete picture of my reaction to gluten by continuing?

Before Whole30 I had already been eating paleo so this was my first gluten in 2-3 months. I plan to continue avoiding gluten but wanted to know how my body reacts for future knowledge. Now I'm not sure it's worth going through a full day of reintroduction, maybe just one meal for each category - gluten, dairy, etc.?

On my first meal of reintroduction (I decided to start with gluten), I had 3 bites of noodles and some baguette, and already feel bad - stomach cramp, a lot of itchiness in my throat, lips and hands. Do I really need to continue throughout today and have gluten with each meal today? I'm already ready to write off gluten for good...Will I get a more complete picture of my reaction to gluten by continuing?

Before Whole30 I had already been eating paleo so this was my first gluten in 2-3 months. I plan to continue avoiding gluten but wanted to know how my body reacts for future knowledge. Now I'm not sure it's worth going through a full day of reintroduction, maybe just one meal for each category - gluten, dairy, etc.?

Personally with that strong of a reaction (and you are sure that was the only thing you added?) I wouldn't eat anymore. You got your answer as far as I'm concerned. Go back to compliant eating for at least 2 days (more if you are still feel affects of the reaction) and try the next group. If you don't get an immediate reaction to the next group than do eat it at every meal. Sometimes the effects are not obvious until we have saturated our systems thus the original recommendation.

Thanks @physibeth, that makes sense to continue at each meal until I get the reaction. Nothing else except the gluten was new, I might try an even smaller amount at dinner just to confirm, but I'm glad to hear that I don't have to put myself through this each meal today just for the sake of reintroduction. I agree that I've certainly already gotten my answer - no gluten!

Archived