Starting October 30th! Anyone want to join?

Findthecrack

Hello Everyone!

This is my first whole30 and if everything goes right (and it will) it will become a whole100! I have been told for 7 years that all of my issues are from being hypothyroid; however, no amount of medication makes me feel better and none of my symptoms have improved. I'm sure I am not alone. Company would be GREATLY appreciated!

Background info: I am a 26 year old female who teaches middle grades special education. I am in my first year of teaching and I LOVE IT! My daughter is two years old and we are both supported by her wonderful father. Eight years ago, I was in the best shape of my life! Planning a wedding, honeymoon, beginning college, and ready to take on the world. Then it all changed :( My eating habits changed to those of my fiancé, (McDonald's, other greasy fast food, soda, and all the other "good" stuff) and my exercise regimen slacked. Within 5 months I gained 70 pounds, developed hypertension, tested positive for hypothyroidism, and spent a week in the hospital for "observation" and testing. Of course the doctors found nothing but the hypothyroidism and told me that my hypertension was just genetics. I left with 3 prescriptions, no answers, and feeling the most defeated I had and hope to ever feel. After being on every thyroid medication imaginable with no results ,except decent blood-work, I am going to try to correct/heal my thyroid and the rest of my body through diet alone.

The stats!

*5 feet 5 inches tall

*223 pounds

*Waist - 42 inches

*Gut (nasty baby stretched area) - 51 inches

*Hips- 49 inches

*Thighs - 29 inches EACH :(

*Bust- 45 1/2 inches

*Neck - 16 inches

Sorry for writing a book!

I'm in! I'm ready to start fresh on 10/30 as well. I've never made it the full 30 days, but after my recent checkup I'm going to do this. My doctor says I'm so close to becoming diabetic that a serious dietary lifestyle change is the only thing to prevent it. I want to get to 30 days and continue on. I stopped sugar cold turkey 2 weeks ago and felt horrible. It's a serious addiction for me, I need to stay away from it completely, but slipped this weekend and ended up with a terrible headache. Stopping the artificial stuff is going to be tough as well, those are such a crutch. I'm at 206 and ideally will get done to 170.

Love this site and support! Marian

Yay! I'm so happy to meet you :) Giving up soda and the processed saltiness of goodies are going to be my toughest parts. I'm pumped (just hoping that the feeling lasts through the rough parts.

When you tried it before, what were your toughest days? (If you don't mind me asking)

Seems like by day 2 going into day 3 were tough, just the sugar withdrawal alone, I felt like I had the flu. Then I have to say you need to be careful about week 2. It's like you've been in a zone, then something cracks that door open just a little and you take a step the wrong way. I just marked my calendar, "day 7, day 14" etc. I'm going to focus on my weekly goals with the bigger goal being day 30. Which in our case is the day after thanksgiving. I'm plotting food to take to my daughter in laws that will help....like shrimp cocktail! I really want to do 90 or 100 days. Hang in there, it's doable I'm sure!

This quote is in the day 1 email, I'm going to read this every day!

“Before I tell you what the Whole30 is, I would like to share my thoughts on what the Whole 30 is not. The Whole30 is not a diet. It is not a twenty-two day program with eight cheat days (weekends) built in. It is not 30 days of restriction, to be followed by 335 days of gluttony. Here is what the Whole30 is. It is life-changing. It is the path to healing your insides. It is about eating real food and learning that what you put into your body actually matters. It is a test of the level of respect you have for this one body you were given. Simply put, if you follow it the way it was written, it works. If you don't, it doesn't. My only regret is that I waited so long to do it.†—Tara O., Edwardsburg, Michigan

• I am on day one today too and so excited and scared.  I am the worlds biggest sugar-a-holic, it is horrible.  I have PCOS, arthritis, extra fat around my waste, horrible mood swings, headaches, horrible skin, no energy and the list goes on.  I have sugar every freakin day and this is my struggle. I have tried to eat clean and drop the sugar hundreds of times and always failed. I need this time to be different.  I need to do this.  am so worried about food variety and doing this right and succeeding but lets do this together!!

Hi busymommy...I could say "ditto" to you list of issues. Except the pcos. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago and put on 30 lbs on top of the 30 I had always wanted to lose. My sugar addiction is so bad. But I can tell you after you get past the first few days the cravings are less. And you can turn to fruit as a healthy alternative!

I made it thru day 1 really well....even attended a seminar with a buffet and big dessert table. I had fruit for dessert. Really felt good with my choices and left the event feeling stronger instead of my usual guilt.

Now, I need to get to the grocery store soon and stock up on healthy stuff!

I have actually done well too AND I helped in my sons Halloween party at school and was surrounded by frosted cookies and candy corn my 2 favorite things and I didn't give in.  so happy I made it but I was thinking after the party...may do I really want to avoid this yummy stuff for 30 days. why yes I do but I just love the flavor of all that crap so I dream of it often when I give it up.  hoping this lasts :)

Hi all! I started today, Oct. 30, too. Did good, but giving up my SF creamer and SF gum has been the toughest for me. I have been doing low carb for a long time and recently lost over 100 pounds using Medifast. I thought I had my eating under control, but have gained about 35 pounds back. I bought the book right after I hit goal because I wanted to transition to a healthy way of eating. But my old habits crept back in and I never did the Whole30. I am so ready now!

I also have hypothyroid and am on medication and have been for years. I am curious to see if eating this way makes any difference in how I feel.

Anyway, now I've written a book! I know this is going to be hard, but so worth it!

Now, if I can just stop craving my SF gum ;)

Hi all! So glad to find others that started on 10/30 as well. I was going to wait until after Halloween to start but realized that it would just be an excuse to pig-out "one last time" (how many times have I done that?) on Halloween candy so I just jumped in on 10/30 instead. I'm considering that a victory already!

I am a sugar addict as well. Reading the section in the book about how horomones work and no-brake foods helped me understand why willpower enough will never cure me of this. I must cut them out totally...even having just a little will not work for me. 

Looking forward to going through this journey with you all!!

I'm having trouble with just wanting to snack  :o I don't think I realized how many times a day I was taking nibbles of this or that. But Day 2 has gone well. Got through Halloween without any sugar! And Spooky, way to just jump in there! That's what I did as soon as I heard my friend had done it, I was gung-ho to get started. This weekend I will get my house properly stocked.

Have a great Friday everyone - keep it Whole!

i had 2 snacks yesterday, i was such an all day grazer before.  they were both allowed food - some nuts and some unsweetened coconut but i was still upset that i had them.  need ot make my meals bigger i guess.  i am a stay at home mom so i have always found it hard to be surrounded by food all day long and the ability to eat any moment i want.  oh and i had a dream last night that  i had candy and i woke up really mad at myself until i  realized it wasn't real :)

I began my Whole 30 on Oct 30, too.  Glad to find a group to join!

I completed my first Whole 30 in March of this year - attempted a second this summer, but went astray after two weeks. I am 9 pounds over what is a healthy weight for me.  I am currently recovering from surgery and know that getting back on track with my eating will help me regain my strength - and I so want the feeling of success that comes with completing this program.

Starting Weight - 178

Bust - 41

Waist - 35

Hips - 42

Happy to report that even with all the Halloween treats around I have followed the plan so far. I know from past experience that the Whole 30 Daily helps keep me on track and motivated, so I will be subscribing again.

Best of luck to all - look forward to sharing this experience with you.

Kerry

Congratulations to all for making it through Halloween!! That's a big step already especially with it coming during our first few days.

I'm with you, Tena and busymommy, I did not realize how often I reach for a snack during the day...even if it is "only" my sugarfree gum.

Thank you lastchancemay for the suggestion to sign up for the Whole30daily. I received my first one this morning and it is great and I can use all the help I can get.

Hang in there everyone..it's hard but we can do this because it will be worth it!

man, today has been tough!  anyone else struggling.  I am still avoiding sugar but I just want to put food in my mouth.  I love food so much and am already bored of protein and fruits/veggies.  I want some crackers or peanuts (besides the usual sugar) I want more crunch.   I am going to do this, just want to see if I am alone in struggling??

I also had a couple snacks again today.  I know we are suppose to do just 3 meals and pre post workout BUT I figure having a healthy snack is at least better then eating junk right....I hope!

man, today has been tough! anyone else struggling. I am still avoiding sugar but I just want to put food in my mouth. I love food so much and am already bored of protein and fruits/veggies. I want some crackers or peanuts (besides the usual sugar) I want more crunch. I am going to do this, just want to see if I am alone in struggling??

I also had a couple snacks again today. I know we are suppose to do just 3 meals and pre post workout BUT I figure having a healthy snack is at least better then eating junk right....I hope!

Whether your snacks are better than "junk" depend on why you snacked, and what you were snacking on! If you're starving, you need to eat. You also need to choose a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies over fruit and nuts (for example).

Snacking "just because", no matter whether you're making better choices or not, won't help you stop the habit. Really listen to your body, find out if you're hungry or just eating out of craving, habit, boredom etc.

Archived