Starting Nov. 9th.

abens123

We made burgers & sweet potato fries last night; the hubs does most of the cooking & always makes enough for me to take to work the next day for lunch.  I took a leftover burger & after reheating it used as my protein over a salad...I found a recipe for Italian dressing on-line & just left out the sugar and I look forward to salad's now!  I never would have imagined I'd be so satisfied after a "burger salad," but I am:-)  We're shooting for spaghetti tonight; canned sauce (organic & approved) with ground beef & mushrooms (we eat a lot of ground beef at our house) over spaghetti squash...our first time trying it, but there are directions on how to make it into spaghetti "noodles" right on the sticker on the vegetable.  Meal ideas are always welcomed here too, so feel free to share the simple ones;-)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in to let you all know that I awoke this AM with NO headache!! YAY!!! The key seemed to be a bit more carb dense veggies, aka sweet potater and a bit more fat for dinner to get me through the night. I still woke up a tad hungry so I'm thinking it was the right amount. Had a great workout also!

Onto more great days!! Thanks all!!

Hope you all are having a wonderful day today as well!

This post made me totally smile! I think the fat and starchy carbs are the key to feeling even and having good workouts during Whole30. I am loving the addition of fats in my diet much more than I am missing the stuff I can't have. YEA for no headache. This is awesome!

We made burgers & sweet potato fries last night; the hubs does most of the cooking & always makes enough for me to take to work the next day for lunch.  I took a leftover burger & after reheating it used as my protein over a salad...I found a recipe for Italian dressing on-line & just left out the sugar and I look forward to salad's now!  I never would have imagined I'd be so satisfied after a "burger salad," but I am:-)  We're shooting for spaghetti tonight; canned sauce (organic & approved) with ground beef & mushrooms (we eat a lot of ground beef at our house) over spaghetti squash...our first time trying it, but there are directions on how to make it into spaghetti "noodles" right on the sticker on the vegetable.  Meal ideas are always welcomed here too, so feel free to share the simple ones;-)

Tonight we had a Turkey stuffing Loaf that was a hit and the kiddos all gobbled it up. I also did roasted veggies (brussels sprouts, fennel, mushrooms, and shallots with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tarragon, and salt. That filled me right up and I doubled the Loaf recipe so I have leftovers for tomorrow. It was yum!! 

Oh, and Gina, you made me blush, that was so kind of you to give me a huge shout out....best accountability partner EVER! xoxoxo!

I started a tad late on the 11th of November, so I felt I may butt in here.

The start was really tough as my staple food(lentils,wheat,legumes & rice) went out the window. Now being on the diet for almost 10days I feel addicted to the whole 30 format of food. I do not crave rice, bread,roti's,etc. Breakfast is normally eggs with veggies, lunch is vegetables tossed in chinese flavour's with lamb or chicken and dinner is soups,fruit and salads.

I felt a bit squeamish and very dehydrated a few days back but i am much better now.

But the best of all I feel ligt and my mood is evelvated. Energy levels are consistent throughout the day and I wake up much more fresh than before.

Today's meals:

1. Scrambled eggs with chopped ham, tomatoes dressed with a little olive oil & oergano.

2. Veggies tossed in chinese sauce with Lamb.

3. French Onion chicken soup with salad and fruits.

I hope this really does do something for me.

I started a tad late on the 11th of November, so I felt I may butt in here.

The start was really tough as my staple food(lentils,wheat,legumes & rice) went out the window. Now being on the diet for almost 10days I feel addicted to the whole 30 format of food. I do not crave rice, bread,roti's,etc. Breakfast is normally eggs with veggies, lunch is vegetables tossed in chinese flavour's with lamb or chicken and dinner is soups,fruit and salads.

I felt a bit squeamish and very dehydrated a few days back but i am much better now.

But the best of all I feel ligt and my mood is evelvated. Energy levels are consistent throughout the day and I wake up much more fresh than before.

Today's meals:

1. Scrambled eggs with chopped ham, tomatoes dressed with a little olive oil & oergano.

2. Veggies tossed in chinese sauce with Lamb.

3. French Onion chicken soup with salad and fruits.

I hope this really does do something for me.

Isn't it funny how the things many people think necessary in their diet quickly get pushed aside for more delicious options? :)

Your meals sound pretty good - are your ham and sauces compliant? Also make sure you're adding fat in the appropriate portions at every meal.

Isn't it funny how the things many people think necessary in their diet quickly get pushed aside for more delicious options? :)

Your meals sound pretty good - are your ham and sauces compliant? Also make sure you're adding fat in the appropriate portions at every meal.

I agree with you that the essential we feel are essential are actually not. My wife eats a pizza in my face but I am already full so it does not tempt me lol.

The sauce is a basic sauce worcestshire sauce with butter. No added sugar in any form.

As for the Ham here in India we still do not get Organic labelled meats. One reason can be because our meats aren't as highly processed or fed with growth hormoes, chemicals etc etc.

This is a limitation I have in India.

And yes I am adding fat by the thimble. Thanks for your input :)

Cheers

I agree with you that the essential we feel are essential are actually not. My wife eats a pizza in my face but I am already full so it does not tempt me lol.

The sauce is a basic sauce worcestshire sauce with butter. No added sugar in any form.

As for the Ham here in India we still do not get Organic labelled meats. One reason can be because our meats aren't as highly processed or fed with growth hormoes, chemicals etc etc.

This is a limitation I have in India.

And yes I am adding fat by the thimble. Thanks for your input :)

Cheers

According to Wikipedia,

" The ingredients of a traditional bottle of Worcestershire sauce sold in the UK as "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce" are malt vinegar (from barley), spirit vinegar, molasses, sugar, salt, anchovies, tamarind extract, onions, garlic, spice, and flavouring."

It contains many non - compliant ingredients, so isn't ok to use during your whole 30. Butter is ok if clarified, or if you're using ghee.

Ham is generally non-compliant...very few people have found ham without compliant ingredients. Even ham made from well raised pigs is more often than not produced using some sort of sweetener and possibly other non-compliant ingredients.

I'm so proud of everyone doing the best we can!  These are huge changes to our diets/lifestyles & everyone should feel great about making a go at that!!  Don't QUIT!!

I'm at the point (day 17 woot woot!) of feeling that consistent energy throughout the day, but the big energy surge is not mine quite yet & I don't "POP" out of bed in the am (am really tired when I get home from work)...partially it might be taking me longer to feel (unique snowflakes and all) and partly it's due to the interrupted sleep of being a mom to a barely 2 yo & 5 month old;-)  Just wanted others to know that I'm on the longer side of the spectrum with feeling this positive benefit in case you are too.  Plan on continuing to plug away and finish this thing ONE.DAY.AT.A.TIME!  That's all any of us can do:-)

Cheers to all!  Last night we made spaghetti with spaghetti squash as the noodles & you really can't tell the difference taste wise. Texture wise was a tad different, but not much...2 yo didn't know the difference!  Didn't need any special cooking tools BTW; directions were right on the squash!!

I successfully walked through Target yesterday, looked at all my favorite Christmas candy, and didn't even have the slightest urge to buy them.  That made me happy!  I find that I'm eating super simple things, and that satisfies me.  I know this will be a new way of life, though I will experiment with a few things before I give them up for good.  The one thing I've slacked on is working out - between school, work, and my horses, it just hasn't been high up on my list of things to do!  I'm hoping that changes soon.  I have been able to cut my stomach pills in half, and am going to quit taking them today.  This is a HUGE deal, one that makes me soooo happy!!

One thing I've noticed is that by 8:30 or 9...I'm falling asleep on the couch.  This really isn't anything new, I normally go to bed at 9, but I am now TIRED.  Then, a good hour before I normally get up, I am restless.  I lay in bed and wait for the sound of my coffee pot to start...maybe I should try getting up when I first stir, and working out then?  I used to be up at 4 everyday to work out, but in the winter, I hate getting up that early (I really just want to hibernate).  The joys of life changes! 

Tonight we had a Turkey stuffing Loaf that was a hit and the kiddos all gobbled it up. I also did roasted veggies (brussels sprouts, fennel, mushrooms, and shallots with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tarragon, and salt. That filled me right up and I doubled the Loaf recipe so I have leftovers for tomorrow. It was yum!! 

Oh, and Gina, you made me blush, that was so kind of you to give me a huge shout out....best accountability partner EVER! xoxoxo!

Thanks for the link, I'm going to try this on the weekend, sound delicious! 

Hi all, its been a busy few days!  I think I am getting it down pat working out and my meals, it was a struggle at first but I like the hard boiled egg and then some of the baby food they suggested in one of the daily emails; totally helped with my energy and getting light headed!   I too haven't wanted any of the "sugary" foods I would gravitate to before, when I go shopping I just keep walking and don't have any cravings or second thoughts.  I also think its amazing how I don't snack anymore, I was so good at it...haha.  I am getting more confident in the kitchen and meals are going better!  I made the mayo this morning, can't wait to see how it tastes!  I still am planning my outings around my meals because I don't want to think I'm following the plan only to find out that sugar is on it.  Im going out this weekend, will be my first meal out of the house since I started, wish me luck. 

Have a great day everyone!  Keep up the awesome work! 

Hey everyone...so today was Teacher Appreciation Day at our center.  If I could take a picture of what our staff kitchen looks like, you would be amazed. We have some awesome families here...but there are also A LOT of non-compliant food.  So Filled up on veggies and fruit and I have left over soup still.  I'm a little bummed, I didn't bring any kind of protein, I feel like that is what my body is craving right now.  But this is impressive.....

Still experiencing some "digestion" issues, going to drink a little of my probiotic..*gage!* but hoping that helps.  

Also, last night I was babysitting and the oldest was selling food for her volleyball team.  And they knew I was on this cleanse and it was kind of funny how the dad was like, Yea, ask Aunie, I'm sure she'll want something. I figured out when those things would arrive...and it's after my whole 30, so I got a treat.  They know how to market!!!  So I ordered beef sticks and gummy bears....

I finally have a night home tonght, so I'm going to try and make something yummy for dinner.   and hopefully get to the gym.  

I have a general question for you all. I'm on day 9ish (long story) but I'm noticing my face is beginning to get bumpy. Not a breakout of acne but sort of like a low grade rash although not really itchy. Has anyone else experienced this? Does your skin get worse before it gets better? I know that's a stretch but that's all I can think of. Usually my skin is really clear and smooth. I'm bummed about this.

I'm wondering if I have to further restrict my diet due to some allergic reaction. I'm wondering about eliminating the nightshades...8-(

Any input would be much appreciated!!

I have a general question for you all. I'm on day 9ish (long story) but I'm noticing my face is beginning to get bumpy. Not a breakout of acne but sort of like a low grade rash although not really itchy. Has anyone else experienced this? Does your skin get worse before it gets better? I know that's a stretch but that's all I can think of. Usually my skin is really clear and smooth. I'm bummed about this.

I'm wondering if I have to further restrict my diet due to some allergic reaction. I'm wondering about eliminating the nightshades...8-(

Any input would be much appreciated!!

I've heard that it gets worse before it gets better...but I don't have any "real" advice.  I have a major skin rash that covers probably half my body, it's the worst on my torso.  I've been watching it since I started this, to see if it went away or what it would do...and it slowly looks to be fading in color.  BUT...a few days ago, not so much!  I know a lot of people struggle with nightshades, might be something to consider?  My face is breaking out really bad this week, and that isn't normal, so I wonder if our bodies are just adjusting?  I don't know, like I said, I don't have any real advice, that's just what I've been going through...

@luvrdeo, I'm holding steady for now to see what happens. The rash on my face seems to be getting better. I've completely stopped my normal facial regimen to keep the skin less irritated, just wash with water, use a toner and a light moisturizer that I've always used. If it doesn't improve by next week, I'll eliminate the nightshades and see what affect, if any, that has.

I'm also experiencing the digestive issues. So, for now, I'm chalking it up to my body ridding itself of the nasty things I've accumulated over the years! YAY!

Have a great, strong, whole30 FRIDAY all!

Hello,  I'm on Day 13 and this is my first post to the forum.  I've been pretty diligent about sticking to the plan, but it's Friday.  And Friday is pizza night at my house.  I want to make a pizza crust with riced cauliflower.  I've made the crust before I started Whole 30 and really liked it (especially the version with parmesean cheese).   Here's the link to the recipe that is dairy free:

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/05/the-best-dairy-free-cauliflower-pizza.html

I don't think it's 'sex with my pants on' because I ate this before Whole30.  I realize it's not the ideal pizza crust, but it's pretty good and pretty healthy. Do you guys think it's Whole30 compliant?  I plan on topping with sauteed chanterelle mushrooms and bacon and then adding some fresh greens (like arugula).

Thanks JulieD for the tea information!!

I'm new to this program as well. As far as the cauliflower pizza crust I've seen recipes for meatza which is the same idea as the cauliflower concept except meat for the "crust". But again, i'm a newbie as well. I'd be interested in hearing from some more experienced folks about this...

After giving this some more thought I'm assuming herbal tea is acceptable much like coffee is. Although I do check the ingredients to ensure there is no added sugar or anything else that is not W30 approved.

Soy lecithin seems to sneak its way in to many teas - watch out for that one too!

Hello,  I'm on Day 13 and this is my first post to the forum.  I've been pretty diligent about sticking to the plan, but it's Friday.  And Friday is pizza night at my house.  I want to make a pizza crust with riced cauliflower.  I've made the crust before I started Whole 30 and really liked it (especially the version with parmesean cheese).   Here's the link to the recipe that is dairy free:

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/05/the-best-dairy-free-cauliflower-pizza.html

I don't think it's 'sex with my pants on' because I ate this before Whole30.  I realize it's not the ideal pizza crust, but it's pretty good and pretty healthy. Do you guys think it's Whole30 compliant?  I plan on topping with sauteed chanterelle mushrooms and bacon and then adding some fresh greens (like arugula).

I looked at the crust recipe and everything there is Whole30 compliant, but what I'm worried about is how satiated you might feel afterwards. Because pizza is usually all crust and a little sauce and very little protein. The Whole30 meal map has lots of protein, surround it with veggies and several "thumbs" of fat. So I think about the pizza and it's going to need to be heaped with protein, and you are going to need to get the fat in there too. Once you do all that, it's really not going to be pizza anymore, and the bigger thing is it's not going to hold you over and balance blood sugar like the meal map meals do. Also, you really need to check the ingredients on your bacon. I have yet to purchase bacon without sugar in it.

Also, and I think what the moderator meant when she posted is that you want to think about pizza fridays. Why? Is this a celebration situation for making it through the week? Is it an easy thing because you are tired at the end of the week? The truth is, having a "pizza friday" is not a very healthy habit, even if you try to make better choices. Maybe it can be movie friday, or pork loin friday. Whole30 is really a good time to ask difficult questions about the habits and routines that we have set up in our lives that keep us from reaching optimal health.

I wish you much strength and tenacity on your journey. It's awesome that you posted, that took guts and I applaud you! :) :)

Soy lecithin seems to sneak its way in to many teas - watch out for that one too!

Who Knew! I don't really like tea, except for 1 or 2 types, but I didn't even think to look at the ingredients on TEA! I would assume the pricy loose leaf stuff from a tea shop would be okay. I really like ordering from Red Blossom Tea Company in San francisco. They have these jasmine pearls that make a pretty tasty cup!

Archived