Starting Nov. 9th.

abens123

I looked at the crust recipe and everything there is Whole30 compliant, but what I'm worried about is how satiated you might feel afterwards. Because pizza is usually all crust and a little sauce and very little protein. The Whole30 meal map has lots of protein, surround it with veggies and several "thumbs" of fat. So I think about the pizza and it's going to need to be heaped with protein, and you are going to need to get the fat in there too. Once you do all that, it's really not going to be pizza anymore, and the bigger thing is it's not going to hold you over and balance blood sugar like the meal map meals do. Also, you really need to check the ingredients on your bacon. I have yet to purchase bacon without sugar in it.

Also, and I think what the moderator meant when she posted is that you want to think about pizza fridays. Why? Is this a celebration situation for making it through the week? Is it an easy thing because you are tired at the end of the week? The truth is, having a "pizza friday" is not a very healthy habit, even if you try to make better choices. Maybe it can be movie friday, or pork loin friday. Whole30 is really a good time to ask difficult questions about the habits and routines that we have set up in our lives that keep us from reaching optimal health.

I wish you much strength and tenacity on your journey. It's awesome that you posted, that took guts and I applaud you! :) :)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and well wishes! I ended up being too tired to make the pizza after all and ended up eating a turkey burger with sauteed mushrooms and few slices of bacon along with leftover sauteed greens and a persimmon.  The bacon came from the US Wellness meats.  I bought some 'pastured' bacon from Whole Foods only to get it home and read the ingredients and noticed sugar was listed -   bummer.

I do use Friday night pizza as a signal to turn off the work mode and start playing.  The pizza is usually accompanied by a couple glasses of wine and sometimes ice cream or a bottomless bowl of M&Ms or chips or something easy to eat in front of TV. So changing the pizza night is a healthier way for me.  Gotta think of something to replace it, though.  

Your post reminded me as well as clarified what whole30 meals are supposed to be and the pizza I described does fall short of that.  This is really a good way for me to eat.  I used to be hungry all the time.  I don't get that doing the whole30.  And I don't crave desserts as much, mostly because I'm so full.  That's a real bonus. I started this program to try and heal GERD (acid reflux), but so far I still have some of that.  Guess it will take time. Thanks again for your response.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs

Lunch: Chicken french onion soup with veggies.

Dinner: Mutton curry made with spices and coconut oil on top of mash sweetpotato/cauliflower.

Today:

Breakfast:2 Eggs omlette with spinach and veggies.

Lunch: Chicken soup as above.

Dinner: Prawns with veggies and lettuce.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs

Lunch: Chicken french onion soup with veggies.

Dinner: Mutton curry made with spices and coconut oil on top of mash sweetpotato/cauliflower.

Today:

Breakfast:2 Eggs omlette with spinach and veggies.

Lunch: Chicken soup as above.

Dinner: Prawns with veggies and lettuce.

Remember to include protein, fat and vegies with every meal. When you have eggs, a serve is as many as you can hold in your outstretched fingers - that's likely 3-4.

How is everyone doing? Did you make it through another weekend? I think they can be the hardest! Today is day 20 for me! 2/3 of the way through and I'm starting to get a little nervous about what I'm going to do after Day30. I feel good! I don't really want to change anything. 

Hope everyone is having a great day! Anyone make any cool recipes this weekend?

Hello everyone. Made it thru the weekend just fine but concerned about this week, heading out to Florida tomorrow for the holidays and it being the holidays and traveling have me nervous, normally it wouldn't bother me but it's not my kitchen and I'm not the one doing the cooking. I've packed some things and hope the rest will be smooth sailing!

Each day I feel a little better so I'm really enjoying this!

Have a great evening

Remember to include protein, fat and vegies with every meal. When you have eggs, a serve is as many as you can hold in your outstretched fingers - that's likely 3-4.

I have 2 eggs whole. I do not go over the 2 Eggs mark as i am concerned about the cholesterol in the extra eggs that I may take. Don't know what veggies to have with scrambled eggs.

Also since I am eating so much meat will this make my cholesterol go up? I have red meat(Lamb)5 times a week, rest are between prawns,fish and chicken.

How is everyone doing? Did you make it through another weekend? I think they can be the hardest! Today is day 20 for me! 2/3 of the way through and I'm starting to get a little nervous about what I'm going to do after Day30. I feel good! I don't really want to change anything. 

Haha I am having the same fear. How will i Live without pizza's, rice, etc etc for the rest of my life. But I figure we will have to see that once the 30days are up.

Hello everyone. Made it thru the weekend just fine but concerned about this week, heading out to Florida tomorrow for the holidays and it being the holidays and traveling have me nervous, normally it wouldn't bother me but it's not my kitchen and I'm not the one doing the cooking. I've packed some things and hope the rest will be smooth sailing!

Each day I feel a little better so I'm really enjoying this!

Have a great evening

Would be great to hear how you managed food during the Holiday's :)

I have 2 eggs whole. I do not go over the 2 Eggs mark as i am concerned about the cholesterol in the extra eggs that I may take. Don't know what veggies to have with scrambled eggs.

Also since I am eating so much meat will this make my cholesterol go up? I have red meat(Lamb)5 times a week, rest are between prawns,fish and chicken.

Haha I am having the same fear. How will i Live without pizza's, rice, etc etc for the rest of my life. But I figure we will have to see that once the 30days are up.

Dietary cholesterol doesn't effect cholesterol levels. If you don't want to eat more eggs, you need to add a different protein source to the meal.

Scrambled eggs go with mushrooms, sautéed kale/spinach, roasted/cooked tomato, leek or onion, sweet potato - roasted/steamed or grated and added to the pan with the eggs....pretty much anything!

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 20 today, started about the same time as most of you. I've been following your posts and appreciate your sharing. I have to say this has been an amazing ride! Over the years I've done medifast and two other hospital-sponsored liquid/quick loss, medically supervised "diets," ....but I always to return how I was. But this is different. I am learning more about food and nutrition than ever. And I'm having to deprogram all I've known about fats, fears about calcium deficiency, etc.

I've never gone 20 days (or two!) without a piece of bread in my life. And I'm about 95% to the point where I really don't miss it. I have no cravings for sweets at all. NONE. And I've eaten more vegetables in the last 20 days than probably the last six months. And liking them!

Ladies, even MY face is clearing up!

I didn't think this could happen, but I'm actually sleeping over seven hours a night for the first time in my adult life. A few days ago I slept eight hours and that totally blew me away. My kids are grown up and my wife is not doing this with me, so I'm basically cooking for myself. Last night I made spaghetti sauce with ground beef with all compliant ingredients and served it over spaghetti squash. My wife loved it!! Perhaps she'll become a convert soon

I'm clarifying my own butter! I'm off work today and for the first time made my own mayonnaise. Actually I tried the immersion blender version first and blew it. I tried the blender version and perfecto!

My blood pressure has dropped 10 points on the bottom and is now in the mid-80's. I've obeyed the scale rule. Can't wait to see what it says 10 days from now.

If you didn't subscribe to the emails then do! They're worth every dime.

I appreciate the forum and the time you've taken to post. I hope to encourage you as well. This is worth it!!

Dietary cholesterol doesn't effect cholesterol levels. If you don't want to eat more eggs, you need to add a different protein source to the meal.

Scrambled eggs go with mushrooms, sautéed kale/spinach, roasted/cooked tomato, leek or onion, sweet potato - roasted/steamed or grated and added to the pan with the eggs....pretty much anything!

i love having sautéed spinach with tomatoes in the morning and the sweet potato hash is delicious!  When I make the hash I chop up sweet potatoes, green peppers and onions and make enough for a few mornings, sometimes I will add some apple sausage to the has for added protein; it warms up great and is quick. 

Hi everyone,

I'm on day 20 today, started about the same time as most of you. I've been following your posts and appreciate your sharing. I have to say this has been an amazing ride! Over the years I've done medifast and two other hospital-sponsored liquid/quick loss, medically supervised "diets," ....but I always to return how I was. But this is different. I am learning more about food and nutrition than ever. And I'm having to deprogram all I've known about fats, fears about calcium deficiency, etc.

I've never gone 20 days (or two!) without a piece of bread in my life. And I'm about 95% to the point where I really don't miss it. I have no cravings for sweets at all. NONE. And I've eaten more vegetables in the last 20 days than probably the last six months. And liking them!

Ladies, even MY face is clearing up!

I didn't think this could happen, but I'm actually sleeping over seven hours a night for the first time in my adult life. A few days ago I slept eight hours and that totally blew me away. My kids are grown up and my wife is not doing this with me, so I'm basically cooking for myself. Last night I made spaghetti sauce with ground beef with all compliant ingredients and served it over spaghetti squash. My wife loved it!! Perhaps she'll become a convert soon

I'm clarifying my own butter! I'm off work today and for the first time made my own mayonnaise. Actually I tried the immersion blender version first and blew it. I tried the blender version and perfecto!

My blood pressure has dropped 10 points on the bottom and is now in the mid-80's. I've obeyed the scale rule. Can't wait to see what it says 10 days from now.

If you didn't subscribe to the emails then do! They're worth every dime.

I appreciate the forum and the time you've taken to post. I hope to encourage you as well. This is worth it!!

So great to hear all the positive changes you are going through!  Keep up the great work!  Who knew a life altering change could be so easy, I really thought this was going to more difficult but when you see and feel the changes you are going thru it makes is so much easier, I really don't miss any of the sugary foods I LOVED prior to this! 

Have a great day! 

There's a really good section explaining the effects of cholesterol & eggs/red meat in the "It Starts with Food" book if you haven't read it, it's really helpful:-)

Keep up the good work guys!  I'm happy to say I haven't given in to any food temptations & I'm getting very little sleep with a 2 yr old & 5 mo old that are giving us a run for our $$ lately in the sleep department!  This would normally be a huge trigger for me, although I've never had a problem with binging...just saying it's hard (contrary to what the site says;-) and I'm going to make it...8 days to go baby!  PS: there is literally pie & whipped cream sitting out at my office ALL DAY TODAY & I will not give in;-)  Prayers that my kids will sleep are welcomed!!

PPS: WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!

Okay, the post from GonnaMakeIt!! got me a little teary. I just see this gentleman in his kitchen making clarified butter and mayo from scratch and feeling great! It's awesome to hear and really inspiring! 

Nisel1011, I think you are feeling just like me! Spunky and like we are really onto something here! I don't miss the sugar either, and the smell of sugary things seems very overwhelming and foreign to me. 

ghorke, my girl, are you kidding me with the pumpkin pie in the office. That's brutal. Sending you SLEEP vibes, common kiddos, make it happen!

So, are any of you thinking about the reintroduction phase yet and how you will manage that? I just want to do WholeLIFE. hahhaha!

Thanks for the idea's, I forgot that I could have spinach with the scrambled eggs lol.

Hi everyone,

------

Welcome aboard and great to know that the program is having positive affects on you. Cheers

i love having sautéed spinach with tomatoes in the morning and the sweet potato hash is delicious!  When I make the hash I chop up sweet potatoes, green peppers and onions and make enough for a few mornings, sometimes I will add some apple sausage to the has for added protein; it warms up great and is quick. 

Damn I completely forgot to put in the green peppers in my mash and have been thinking somethign is amiss lol. And yeah thanks for the Sausage idea too.

Cheers

There's a really good section explaining the effects of cholesterol & eggs/red meat in the "It Starts with Food" book if you haven't read it, it's really helpful:-)

Haha I am too lazy to re read it and marking things on kindle is a pain. I have actually read the whole book before starting this program.

Hello,  It's Day 18 for me.  The weekend went well and I did a lot of cooking and prepping.  Finding that roasting and steam some vegetables ahead of time makes it a lot easier during the week.  I roasted a few winter squash and steamed a couple bunches of collard greens.  Washed and chopped broccoli, cabbage, kale, leeks and have been using them for sauteed veggies.  I made a nomnom paleo recipe (Korean short ribs in a crock pot).  Subbed 1/2 stew meat cuz the short ribs were ridiculously expensive at Whole Foods.  It was good and my husband loved it.  Also made 'Clothes Make the Girl', lamb moroccan meatballs and chocolate chili.  Both were really good and make even better leftovers. And made a couple pounds of turkey breakfast sausage.  If I need a 'go to' meal, I also try to stock organic ground turkey and have a turkey burger for protein.

I'm concerned about T'giving as we are going to friends' house.  I'm bringing a couple compliant appetizers and some sparkling water.  But don't want to have to continually explain that I can/can't eat something, so I will probably eat any plain veggies (like green beans & salad) and also bring a compliant sweet potato/squash dish.  I'm not going to fuss over the turkey.  Can't be that bad to have a couple slices of turkey that might not be organic.  

This Whole30 has been pretty good and as I've mentioned before, just kicking my sugar dragon is worth it.  Still waiting for the acid reflux to completely disappear.  And I've been having sleep problems since menopause, and those problems have persisted.  I can sleep only 5 hrs at a time, then wake up and have trouble going back to sleep.

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving tomorrow....oh boy!  I am cooking mini-meals for myself so that everyone around me can indulge, while I stay focused. 

I've noticed that this week, my stomach is starting to go back to it's normal ways...meaning, I am getting stomach aches again, which I hadn't had the first 2 weeks.  Anyone else dealing with this?  I'm hoping it's just a fluke, and it goes back to being good again...cuz I hate that "I need to run to the bathroom NOW" feeling! 

I bought mint m&m's the other day, have been packing them around in my car all week, and haven't even thought twice about digging in.  I LOVE sweets, so this is huge for me! 

Successfully navigated away from the pie yesterday & the brownies my grams brought to our dinner last night (put a couple in the freezer for after Whole 30 as she makes AWESOME brownies!!)...ate my salad with burger instead of the pasta dish that was served.  Excited to weigh in afterwards; don't care really about the number, but I like the shape my body is in & got complimented many times last night that I'm "so skinny," which I don't mind hearing;-)  Flat belly thanks to Whole 30, which I'll take 5 months postpartum!!  Sleep was better last night thanks to baby girl!

Bring it on Thanksgiving!!

Happy thanksgiving to All of you! Thank you all so much for your support during my first Whole30! I am so thrilled that my friend asked me to do this. Shout out to JulieD for "dragging" me into this! I agree with goSonja I'm heading for a Whole Life!

Enjoy the good things in life! Cheers!

Anyone ever catch a cold/flu while doing a whole30? I would think my immune system, hopefully, would be strong enough to knock this out quickly! I'm going to make some bone broth or chicken soup since I have ingredients for both....Besides rest and fluids what other suggestions would you make?

Hoping you are all enjoying your day today!

Oh lordy,

I gotta say, that was HARD! REALLY HARD. Just goes to show how much of a routine so many of those Thanksgiving foods have become for me. I stayed Whole30, but there were a few times I wanted to shed a tear. I did not cry, but I wanted to. I hope everyone else was able to negotiate the day and if you did not, I hope you are ready to get right back after it tomorrow. I was thinking about all of you when I was at the table today!

We did our traditional Thanksgiving and had guests over, who happen to be gourmet-style cake bakers. So there on the counter besides Turkey was stuffing, rolls, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, jello salads, gravy, etc, and those cakes! I had turkey, a compliant sweet potato, green beans, and olives on the side. Very satisfied, but the cakes were a heavy temptation! Definitely was a conversation starter!

Anyone ever catch a cold/flu while doing a whole30? I would think my immune system, hopefully, would be strong enough to knock this out quickly! I'm going to make some bone broth or chicken soup since I have ingredients for both....Besides rest and fluids what other suggestions would you make?

Hoping you are all enjoying your day today!

Hey,  I felt like I was catching a cold yesterday, too!  Stuffy nose and achy, but by the end of the day I felt better.  I hope you do, too!  Take good care.  

Oh lordy,

I gotta say, that was HARD! REALLY HARD. Just goes to show how much of a routine so many of those Thanksgiving foods have become for me. I stayed Whole30, but there were a few times I wanted to shed a tear. I did not cry, but I wanted to. I hope everyone else was able to negotiate the day and if you did not, I hope you are ready to get right back after it tomorrow. I was thinking about all of you when I was at the table today!

Thanks for the well wishes.  At home, preparing food,(especially cheese trays) it was hard not sneak a nibble here or there.  Later, we had dinner at a friend's house and I did not want to do a lot of explaining, so I stuck with appetizers I brought from home, and turkey, yams and green beans - all simply prepared.  However, after dinner we chatted in another room and then there was a dessert presentation back at the table.  I know that our friend spent a lot of time and trouble in preparing the desserts and it was a special day, so I broke my Whole30 and ate a few bites each of pecan and pumpkin pie and pumpkin creme brulee.  I didn't drink any alcohol or eat bread or rice.  So I felt more of an obligation to participate in the meal rather than succumbing to temptation.  I'm proud of myself for that.  I'm continuing with the Whole30 until next weekend.  And plan to do a real 30-day straight plan in January, after the holidays, and after a family wedding.  Probably will start around Jan 6th.  By the way, I did not enjoy the desserts as much as I've enjoyed some of the fruit I've eaten recently.  

Holy smokes guys, sorry was in the middle of nowhere and didn't have the best service. Well I not only made it thru thanksgiving successfully also managed to conquer trveling and staying on track, let me tell you it was no walk in the park. We stopped at a grocery store and got some nuts, olives tuna packets snd fruit to help in a pinch. It wasn't hard for me at all not eating the regular stuff at thanksgiving dinner had sweet potato green beans and turkey, my pie was a banana nut bread larbar was delicious and didn't leave me craving for the pumpkin pie at all. I hope everyone did great, can't be believe we are in the home stretch!!

Archived