Deer Camp - Food Prepared by Others

bchansen70

I'll start by saying this is my first post here on the forums.  I am currently on Day 9, and things have been going great so far, and have even starting seeing some of the benefits.

Looking ahead, I am concerned about a trip I have planned starting on Day 23.  I have a very long travel day, followed by four days at a deer camp in West Texas.  The travel day shouldn't be an issue, as there are many topics here that discuss eating compliant on days like that.  The issue I'm seeing is while we're in camp.  The place we're going provides all food.  Fortunately they're all home cooked meals served buffet style; this is both good and bad, as I will have some options, however it will not be possible to ask them to prepare anything specific for me.

My Whole 30 Daily newsletter this morning specifically mentioned making a choice to stay compliant or not during a vacation, and making the decision ahead of time.  At this point, I really WANT to keep going and finish, however I can already foresee many issues with the meals; non-compliant cooking oils, rice, beans, ect.  So I'm really hoping people have a few tips for staying compliant during this time.  Or... would the suggestion be to keep eating healthy, not worry about Whole 30, and start over once I get back?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!!!

You may not be able to get then to prepare special meals for you, but could you find out beforehand how their food is prepared? Perhaps there will be options, that you could supplement with your own supplies?

They may be able to serve you plain meat and vegies, leaving any sauces or oils off, and you could add your own fats. Perhaps they'd allow you to take items with you and store in their kitchen/fridges?

They may be more accommodating than you think :) you can only ask! Perhaps explain that you have special dietary requirements that you don't expect them to provide for as it would be too difficult - they might be more willing to help you out?

Thank you for the suggestions!  I haven't had much luck with getting a good understanding of how the food is prepared up to this point.  My contact there mainly deals with the hunt itself, and the cooks are sort of seperate from that side of things.  He's going to try and get me a few answers though.  I don't know what others' experiences have been, but my personality can make me feel like too much of a pest for trying to get things made my way.  I guess I need to overcome that a bit, haha.

One thing I was possibly looking at was buying some Primal Pacs, or the Gourmet Grass Fed jerky that is advertised as Whole 30.  I know these shouldn't be relied on, but if I were to use those to supplement my meals, and then try to eat as many veggies as possible at meal time, would that be a good route to go if a certain meal wasn't compliant?

Thanks again!

Don't think you sound like a pest - sometimes you need to put yourself (and your health) before others. I used to be petrified of asking for changes to food at restaurants, now I'll quite happily ask for what I want, how I want it. I'd rather put the restaurant out and get a meal I'm happy with than say nothing and either feel icky or unhappy...

Um, I'm assuming this isn't a free event, so why are you a pest for wanting the food you pay for to be something you can eat? You most certainly are not. And frankly, with food allergies becoming as prevalent as they are these days, I would think a menu or something would be very reasonable and that you would not be the first person to make such a request.

I'd ask the hunt guy who is in charge of the meal prep and ask for the phone number because you have some dietary restrictions and want to be sure you don't starve while on the hunt. (Haha. Sorta.)

You do NOT need to explain why you have restrictions. You don't need to explain your diet or give some mini medical history.

At the very least, gluten free menus are becoming very common and I find that I can often request the gluten free stuff just not have cheese added or whatever.

They might slip some stuff past you, like the cooking oil or butter or seasonings, but you can come very close.

Thank you, everyone!  I was able to get a little more info yesterday in regards to the menu, and they've already assurmed me they will help in whatever way possible.  I'm just going to meet with the cooks a little once I get there, and if they have to make something seperate for me at a few meals, it sounds like that won't be a problem.  Like you said JustAMom, this isn't a free event, so they're going to be willing to accomodate people like myself.

I still think I'm going to try and bring some things as a "just-in-case".  Tins of tuna and salmon sound like a great idea as well!

Thanks again!

Archived