Metabolism crash and burn

So here I am on day 8 of my fourth Whole 30, bopping along and feeling quite great... Feeling my hip bones, clear skin, sleeping well, and all of a sudden I am in a bit of a panic and need some input!

Last April I hit a wall. Crashed metabolism...adrenal fatigue...I don't know what it was but my body temperature was never even 96 degrees and I was done!

I have been feeling chilly today, I live in the sub Arctic so it's a thing...

I took my temperature and it was 96.3.

I am nervous.

I have been sleeping well, managing my stress well and only walking and doing yoga for exercise.

When I felt "recovered" in the summer my temperature had risen to 99 degrees! I felt alive!

I had stopped all exercise except walking my dogs and I ate everything!

Do I need to stop this whole 30. I am starting to feel a bit pale again.

I am not going through another winter freezing my a## off!

Thanks for any input!

• Moderators

I am concerned you are not eating enough while doing a Whole30. You say you are feeling your hip bones on day 8. If that is meaningful to you, I am concerned that you are losing weight fast because you are not following the meal template and eating enough to keep your body happy. Where are you with the size of your meals in relationship to the template?

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

A temperature that low can indicate a problem with your T3 levels - which can be due to a variety of causes. Please go see an endocrinologist, and make sure they do a comprehensive thyroid evaluation - free T3, T4, TSH, reverse T3, thyroid antibodies.

Ditto. I'm on straight t3 medication and if I don't take it, what you describe happens to me. Not saying that's your issue, but it's something to rule out.

FYI, if that is your issue, you need more carbs. If you're going vlc, that's not good for the thyroid. What kind of starchy veg do you eat regularly?

Wow! Why did I not participate in the forums the other times I did a Whole 30?!

You are so kind and supportive!

Tom you have been a hero of mine for quite a while.

The reason I like to feel my hip bones is because I have lost 85 pounds over the last 10 years and in my crazy head I am worried that I will wake up and be my old roly poly version again.

I am following the meal template. I eat fruit and sweet potatoes, carrots and beets for carbs. I ate so many sweet potatoes last time I did this that my gynaecologist said I was turning orange!

I am 51 years old, five feet tall and I can't fit too much food in my belly at one time. I eat until I am full. I have dogs I walk and I am a massage therapist so my days are pretty physical.

Vkanders and Karen, thank you for the Thyroid suggestions! I have often thought something was up there,but the typical tests always come back normal.

I will act on all of these suggestions! Thank you so much!

If it makes you feel any better, I've had my TSH and T4 tested for maybe 15 years due to symptoms and they always came back normal.  Finally, a new doctor decided to test my T3 and rT3.  All those years, I was told my thyroid was working properly, and then come to find out it really wasn't - they were just looking at the wrong values!  It's worth looking into.

Best of luck!

I ate so many sweet potatoes last time I did this that my gynaecologist said I was turning orange!

You mean I'm not the only one? LOL. This is actually a real thing. I also went through a phase where my palms would turn quite orange when eating "too many" sweet potatoes or kale. My body wasn't able to process the vitamin A in these vegetables properly, so the color came out in my skin.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis There are several reasons it might happen, but in my case, I believe it was linked to impaired thyroid function.

The exciting thing is that, now after more than a year of whole30-style eating, my thyroid is functioning better and I seem to be able to eat as much vitamin A as I desire without turning orange. I would take this as another sign that thyroid function could use some study with your doctor. I know my numbers were "technically normal" when we decided something should be done, so perhaps an integrative medicine dr.--someone who is willing to look at all the numbers along with your symptoms--would be a good bet for you.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had my TSH and T4 tested for maybe 15 years due to symptoms and they always came back normal.  Finally, a new doctor decided to test my T3 and rT3.  All those years, I was told my thyroid was working properly, and then come to find out it really wasn't - they were just looking at the wrong values!  It's worth looking into.

Best of luck!

I was basically in the same situation. I had to show up at an endocrinologist's office with a temperature of 94.8F, a heart rate of 37, and blood pressure of about 80/50 before I got the right evaluation done. The T3 and T4 I take have helped a little, but it is a long road to getting this all adjusted.

Archived