Halfway through and starting to log today

lgt2013

Today is day 16 of my first whole 30. I feel like while my food and meals have all been compliant, I have been most likely eating too much (and snacking). I've been a bit of a calorie counter the last 6 years or so (with My Fitness Pal) out of necessity because I have a large appetite. I haven't missed counting these last 15 days, but I'm feeling the need for some sort of accountability.

I feel great, am well past the hangover stage and the craving stage. The cravings haven't been too bad recently, although I'm on the verge of PMS which is always the worst for me -- I want to eat everything and a lot of it!

So, today's meals:

B : 1 egg plus 1/2 cup whites scrambled with 1/4 yellow bell pepper, 3 mushrooms, 1 cup spinach plus 2 tbsp salsa and 1/2 avocado. Black coffee (2 cups)

Planned for the rest of the day :

L : Chipotle Pumpkin soup, 1 chicken apple sausage

D : (friend's bday party at the restaurant where I work, so I know the menu) Nicoise salad with no dressing and no potatoes, topped with grilled salmon; soda water with lime

• Moderators

Hmmm. If you are less than 4 feet tall and petite, the amount of food you are eating might be okay, but if you are anywhere near average, you may be eating less than half of what you need. You might need to review the meal template guidelines: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Well it definitely wasn't enough yesterday. Around 2:30 I was pretty hungry and ended up having 2 handfuls of cashews, 1/2 an avocado and a can of sardines.

Today:

B : sweet potato hash with peppers and onions topped with 3 fried eggs; black coffee

L : Pumpkin soup, Aidell's chicken apple sausage, handful of cashews

D: Green curry ono with 2 cups of veg -- bell pepper, onion, carrot, kale

Definitely not hungry after that, but it was also a fairly inactive day for me too.

Food today :

B: Sweet potato hash with onions and peppers, 3 fried eggs, handful cashews, black coffee (can't believe I'm actually drinking my coffee black, and I like it!)

L: Green curry veg and chicken

D: Curried lamb stir-fried with onion, kale, and brussels sprouts; 1/2 large sweet potato with tbsp ghee

Workout : T25 Cardio

The very best thing about today is that my hunter friend sent me home with 2 ducks (small wild ones, the 2 will probably be 3 meals), 2 venison roasts, 2 venison steaks, and 2 meals worth of rainbow trout. For free! I gave them a couple bottles of wine, but still! And he said if I liked the duck to come back for more because waterfowl season is just starting. Yay for me!

Day 19, feeling really great -- no more afternoon slump, sugar cravings are less and less, energy levels are pretty high. Overall very happy with how my whole 30 is going.

Food today :

B : Sweet potato hash with peppers and onion, 3 fried eggs, black coffee

L : Seared rainbow trout over romaine salad with tomato, 1/2 avocado, salsa; 2 handfuls of cashews (I was a little late getting lunch, so hungrier than normal)

D : Curried lamb with brussels sprouts, onions, kale, and bell peppers; 1/2 sweet potato; decaf coffee

Workout : T25 Speed 1.0

Day 21, good sleep last night -- I am definitely not an 8 hour sleeper! For the last few years, i have automatically gotten up after 7 hours, no matter what my bedtime and whether it is light or dark in the morning. Today I woke up before sunrise, almost exactly 7 hours later. It's fine though -- gives me an extra hour to get stuff done :).

Day 20 meals :

B : 2 eggs + 1/2 cup whites scrambled with bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach, topped with salsa and 1/2 avocado, black coffee

L : apple, chicken breast on romaine with tomato, 1/2 avo, and salsa

D : 1/2 roasted wild duck, 1/2 acorn squash with ghee, brussels sprouts roasted with proscuitto

Workout : T25 Total Body circuit -- it's a killer!

I'm pretty sure I overcooked the duck because the breast was pretty dried out. I've never cooked duck before either. The wild duck is significantly different than farmed duck, much gamier. It was free though, so I can't really complain. But the skin was so delicious.

Day 21 (yesterday)

Food :

B : Handful cashews, 2 eggs + 1/2 c whites scrambled with spinach and mushrooms, 1/2 avocado; black coffee

L : Rainbow trout w/ 1/4 c guacamole, 1/2 acorn squash w/ ghee, roasted asparagus and mushrooms

S : 2 handfuls cashews

D : Curried ground beef stir-fried with asparagus, onion, and Brussels sprouts; 1/2 sweet potato drizzled w/ olive oil

I was going to make a taco salad with my own taco seasoning, but then I realized I don't have any chili powder. Oh, and I'm out of ghee. Grrrr.

Exercise : T25 Ab intervals -- half-arsed it because my abs are so weak!

It appears that my PMS symptoms that I thought I'd miss this month appeared just a little late. Yesterday I was so hungry! I prefer not to snack, but I just wanted to eat and eat. I also felt a little of the afternoon slump again, had to take a nap. And the breast tenderness is in full effect, which will make for an interesting workout later :(.  I'm just glad I had a little taste of the "tiger blood" before the symptoms kicked in, otherwise I'd have my doubts about it. No more cashews in the house and I plan to not buy anymore, as they are definitely a food with no brakes for me.

Day 22 (yesterday)

Food:

B: 2 eggs + 1/2 c white scrambled with spinach and mushrooms, salsa, 1/4 c guacamole; black coffee

-- more black coffee

L: 1/2 roasted duck, 1/2 acorn squash w ghee

S: med apple with 2 tbsp almond butter

D: Curried ground beef with asparagus, onion, and Brussels sprouts; 1/2 sweet potato w/ ghee

I know I shouldn't snack, but last night I worked a rehearsal dinner and wasn't able to eat dinner until after 8 pm. Also, I was helping plate desserts and tested the whipped cream on my finger to make sure it was the right consistency, then without thinking stuck it in my mouth -- gah! Luckily, it wasn't too sweet, but it's definitely dairy with sugar. I couldn't believe I did that, it was just so automatic.

Today is day 23 and I only slept 6+ hours last night. I slept fine, but woke up at 5:45 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. I think I just have too much on my mind.

Going out to dinner tonight, only the second time since I started whole 30. It gives me anxiety. Not looking forward to giving the inquisition.

I know I shouldn't snack, but last night I worked a rehearsal dinner and wasn't able to eat dinner until after 8 pm. 

Having a snack is ok if you have more than 5-6 hours between meals. Just be sure your snack is a mini-meal including at least a protein and fat.  Reserve fruit to have only with or immediately after a meal.  Nuts are considered a fat source, not a protein source, on a Whole30.

Thanks Chris. I guess the apple with almond butter was a snack I always had before the whole 30, and it definitely tides me over.

Day 24 today,

B: sweet potato hash with onions and mushrooms; 3 fried eggs; black coffee

L: Ono with guac; sauteed kale and sweet potatoes

D: Venison stew

No workout.

For some reason, I'm breaking out worse than normal. I'm used to getting a breakout around this time, but it is really bad right now. Nothing else has changed but my diet. I don't get it.

Archived