Whole 30 - Round 1 - Results

amywhole30s

I have really enjoyed reading It Starts With Food. This has been a pretty crazy journey for me and I have sorted through some of my personal attachments to food. 

I was compliant for this whole program aside from a few spice mistakes with sugar in the first week and some less desirable oils on nuts in the beginning. 

My main struggle I came into this challenge with was allergies. I am sitting here today still sniffling and sneezing. I am going to research low-histamine foods and look into booking an appointment with a natropath. I'm not going to lie, I'm frustrated that just the Whole 30 didn't make my allergies disappear, as it was my main motivation to try this.

I've never been a good sleeper, and throughout the Whole 30 I did start to sleep better; however I still had some really off sleeps. This week has been much better though. 

My energy has actually been laughable. I took naps last week, which I haven't needed or done in awhile and I know that has been my stress.

My stress has been a factor throughout my whole30. I have been more stressed than usual as we are buying our first home, and it's been far from a smooth process. I imagine I'd have different results if I had been less stressed.

Then there's my weight. Something I've always struggled with losing. I didn't exercise as much as I wanted to this past 30 days, and again, I probably would have had better results if I had of. I'm frustrated. Yes my clothes fit a bit better, but I was disappointed when I stepped on the scale and only lost 4 pounds. That's almost laughable. I feel like people fluctuate 4 pounds in a day. It's just frustrating when I see all of these amazing results, and I only lost 4 pounds. I did lose 11 inches overall, and while yes I can see the positive that those are good results, I am still so confused how  you can manage to lose 11 inches but only lose 4 pounds. I feel like it doesn't add up. My attachment to the number on the scale obviously didn't change. 

So where do I go from here? I'm not sure. I really want to kick my allergies to the curb, but I'm not ready yet to try the low-histamine Whole 30. It's so limited that I feel like I'd really struggle. I think I want to go to a natropath first. So we'll see. I plan to keep eating mostly whole 30, but I have a bowl of popcorn calling my name first (really the only thing I've craved this entire process). 

I am sorry you didn't get the results you wished for regarding your allergies. I can understand not wanting to do the low histamine approach. I am currently following the autoimmune protocol and it just makes me plain mad!

I have to say I am floored by your disappointment in your body changes and your attachment to a scale number.

The fact that you lost ELEVEN inches should be reason enough to prove to you that the scale is a waste of time and you should not be focusing on scale weight loss. What does this scale number mean to you? Why were you looking to be at a certain scale number or lose a certain amount of scale weight? For most people losing scale weight equates to being smaller. You are ELEVEN inches smaller!! So in light of this, what importance does a certain number on the scale hold? Can you see the irrelevance of the scale? Body composition is much more important than a number on the scale. When you focus just on total weight lost you run the risk of losing vital muscle, bone and organ tissue.

You most likely added some muscle, bone and/or organ weight while eating an appropriate balance of macronutrients and lost a lot of fat

I am sorry you didn't get the results you wished for regarding your allergies. I can understand not wanting to do the low histamine approach. I am currently following the autoimmune protocol and it just makes me plain mad!

I have to say I am floored by your disappointment in your body changes and your attachment to a scale number.

The fact that you lost ELEVEN inches should be reason enough to prove to you that the scale is a waste of time and you should not be focusing on scale weight loss. What does this scale number mean to you? Why were you looking to be at a certain scale number or lose a certain amount of scale weight? For most people losing scale weight equates to being smaller. You are ELEVEN inches smaller!! So in light of this, what importance does a certain number on the scale hold? Can you see the irrelevance of the scale? Body composition is much more important than a number on the scale. When you focus just on total weight lost you run the risk of losing vital muscle, bone and organ tissue.

You most likely added some muscle, bone and/or organ weight while eating an appropriate balance of macronutrients and lost a lot of fat

Thank you, I think it's just coupled with the lack of relief from allergies, I was just expecting a big number after measuring myself.

I have always struggled to get the number on the scale down, but you're right. If I'm losing inches, that's really the only thing that matters. People notice inches - they don't know the number on the scale. I think it's just surprising that I lost 11 inches, and didn't lose a significant amount of weight. It's hard to wrap your brain around. I guess in the same way it's been hard to wrap my brain around the fact that eating fat is good! 

I'm sorry you didn't quite get your results but 4 pounds lost is better than gained and 11 inches is amazing!! I'm kicking myself for not being smart enough to measure and weight right as I started!!!!

I'm still proud of your accomplishments!!!! You did a wonderful job!

and this morning I had some peanut butter with my apples, because it's all I have craved since day 1! So enjoy your popcorn!

I can understand, somewhat, how you feel with regard to the lbs/inches thing... it really doesn't always make sense. But, I had the same thing happen to me in January. I only lost a measily 5 lbs., but lost a total of 16 inches overall! There's a blog article that GFChris posted for me that really was a eye-opener. This lady started working out/eating healthy, and her before/after pics are phenomenal... guess what... SHE WEIGHS THE SAME! She lost absolutely no weight. Put the scale away :D

I can understand, somewhat, how you feel with regard to the lbs/inches thing... it really doesn't always make sense. But, I had the same thing happen to me in January. I only lost a measily 5 lbs., but lost a total of 16 inches overall! There's a blog article that GFChris posted for me that really was a eye-opener. This lady started working out/eating healthy, and her before/after pics are phenomenal... guess what... SHE WEIGHS THE SAME! She lost absolutely no weight. Put the scale away :D

Oh awesome, do you have the link to that post??

Archived