Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies in the thread. If any of you are on the pill, are you continuing with it? Besides the obvious hormone ingredients, mine also contains lactose and sucrose. The amounts are probably miniscule, but still. No idea what to do.

Someone posted this question in another forum. The answer was Medications trump the Whole30 so you should keep taking the pill during your whole30. Hope you have a great Whole30 day.

Thanks mate, I will do that, bigger meals, more of those fats! will see how it goes....but so far so good!

Daniel - eat more food :) No need to be hungry on Whole30, eat a mini meal if you're still hungry and eat bigger meals tomorrow. Are you getting enough fat?

Cherie - power through, the headache won't last long and you'll get that diet coke monkey off your back for good :D Yum, salsa chicken!

Ladies in the thread. If any of you are on the pill, are you continuing with it? Besides the obvious hormone ingredients, mine also contains lactose and sucrose. The amounts are probably miniscule, but still. No idea what to do.

I honestly haven't even thought about it....I'm continuting to take mine. I don't need this to end up in pregnancy!

Today is my day 3, I've never been so completely NOT hungry! After day 1's horrible insomnia and headache, I slept for almost 12 hours last night and woke too late for breakfast. I had a cup of chamomile and spices apple tea and then started my cook up. At about 3pm, despite being surrounded by the delicious smells of numerous tasty dishes, I noticed that I hadn't eaten. So, I grabbed 2 chicken thighs, a baked sweet potato, some kale and dumped my salsa on top. Yum.

After finishing my cook up, my dilemma is now which of the many tasty meals I should tuck into first!

My husband and I are in the planning stages of our first W30-waiting for out college freshman to head back to school. Have Well Fed and have been perusing the materials on the plan on the website. Looking forward to becoming healthier in 2014!

Day one went well for me. I haven't gotten a headache yet but I have only just cut back on my coffee and I haven't been drinking soda lately. I feel good today and started the morning out right with a yummy italian omelette, probably will have a salad with chicken for lunch, and I think I will make Jambalaya for dinner.

So far pretty easy, and a relief to be separated from my foolish excesses with sugar, etc.! From past experience I know that the challenges come when I'm not cozily preparing my own food, and have to deal with a restaurant or dinner at a friend's house. Then there's the weekly early morning diner breakfast with good friends...things like that are my main challenges! Also I have had time to cook ahead - when that gets tight w30 life also gets harder. Anyway - all is very good right now. Really delightful to feel in control of what's going into my body!

Lots of fun to hear from so many people in so many places. Very cold and snowy where I live right now, but the snow is light and I enjoyed the shoveling yesterday. Today my 17 year old son is back home. His turn!

A good day 2 to all!!

Middle of day 2 and I'm feeling good.  My utmost respect to those of you who are giving up caffeine!  I am cutting down to my giant morning cup and 1/2 cup in the afternoon (or a cup of tea).

Yesterday:  veg omlette (greens, onion)/boiled shrimp with avocado, broccoli, carrots and olives; roast chicken, cabbage sauteed in ghee and garlic, and roasted mini sweet peppers, macadamias.  Yum, yum, yum.  Food tasted great and I had a big burst of energy in the evening.

Today:  veg omlette (onion, mushroom, broccoli), 1/2 banana; boiled shrimp with avocado and carrots; dinner will be broiled salmon with ghee/lemon sauce, roasted cauliflower, spaghetti squash.  A little tired today, but it could be the cold and dreary weather (Chicago in January - ugh).

Bought ingredients for green chili for the weekend (great on a cold football playoff day!):  tomatillos, poblanos, jalaprenos, garlic and onions (roast  & peel the peppers, then throw everything in blender/processor), add pork shoulder chunks, salt & pepper and cook all day in the crockpot.  Top with cilantro to serve.  That'll warm you up!

Note to self: stay away from nuts - can't control portions.  Will carry small amount of almonds when traveling, otherwise, NO NUTS for me.

Now, time for a hot, giant cup of apple cinnamon tea.  Mmmm....

Rock on, W30ers!

Day 2. Still with a headache, but not that bad. Still tired, especially before lunch. There even was a hint of depressed thoughts creeping. By the way, I was sent to lunch very early today, and I was not feeling hungry, but I ate anyway and I was glad I did, because I found myself enjoying my food and feeling better afterwards.

Also I slept more time and more deeply last night. There was a nice earthquake and I didn't wake up!  :D

Beli: So good to hear from you! I haven't been eating a lot of animal products or fats, I never thought that would make any difference. But I roasted an organic chicken tonight for dinner and will be eating a lot more meat for my protein. I hope your headache is better tomorrow. So you are giving up caffeine? This was my first day without some kind of creamer in my coffee, and I thought that was a sacrifice. I haven't cut out caffeine, but after reading other's thoughts on it, I'm planning to cut it in half. I haven't missed the sugar too much on day one, but I've been aware of the triggers signaling me to go get something sweet. It's gonna be tough!

Hi Chris, good for your chicken! Go ahead and have all the (grass-fed) meat and (wild-caught) oily fish you can: it's not only for the protein, but for the fat (very important for brain functions, especially the omega-3 fats) and the vitamins and minerals, ...and the delicious taste and satisfying feeling too!

About the coffee... I would say don't push yourself too hard if it's your first Whole30 and you're not used to eating this way. Knowing what it's like to be depressed and fatigued, I'd advise you to first of all focus on getting the nutrient-dense foods in. I'm attacking caffeine along with chocolate and sugar now, but bear in mind I've been eating fairly paleo for more than a year.

Hey everyone! Just started my first whole 30 day yesterday. I've always been a healthy eater and started eating paleo/primal almost 7 months ago when I started crossfit. The only challenge I've really had is soda and sweet treats (my biggest weakness). Would love to have some friends to get through this with! Good luck to all who just started :)

Fooch, first day was ok, I feel hungry though, want to munch something RIGHT NOW!!! for brekkie i had an omellete, for lunch chicken, mince and tomato and cucumber salad.....i looked at all the sauce labels SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR, aheeee, for dinner, chicken breast with tomato and cucum again!!!. so far so good, one cofee in am, no milk!!! How was ur day, send me what ur meals was as i need ideas, will consult book too!!!

Well done Daan, good for checking labels. They chuck sugar into everything, the bastards! If you feel hungry it means that you should eat more/larger portions etc. The first two weeks are the toughest, then you get the hang of it, and it becomes easy. Here is some books and websites for paleo recipes, just check the ingredients, sometimes it contains stuff that is forbidden

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=paleo%20recipes

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/18-easy-paleo-diet-recipes

Vasbyt Daan, moenie bier drink nie!!!!!!!

Cheers

Foosh

Frans, send me some updates broer, how was ur second day?? Today went well, I ate some dates as snacks during the day and fruit!!

lekker, geen probleem. Did drink a mouth full of Coke Zero, before I realized I am on Whole30, spat it out. All on track. Daan, I see your Blood pressure is a bit on the high side, like mine... 

First try for me, trying to sort out tummy stuff. Hardest thing for me is giving up my glass of red wine after a long day. been gluten free for a few months with a huge break in December to need to get on track. 27 no kids and a freezer full of game meat should help me on myself back on track this month. Making a big batch of casserole with sweet potato, moose and eggs on the advice of a friend who did the whole 30 in November. 

hi.. today is my second day of whole 30 and I feel perfectly fine. I keep waiting to feel terrible but it hasn't happened (I know you will all be there for me when i do :) ) . Drank my coffee (only 1 cup - unheard of!) black and it was fine.  I am a physically active 26 year old but unfortunately also very socially active (re: drink often) so this will be the first time since I was probably 16 that I went a month without drinking socially. My diet is usually pretty healthy but, I do not know how to prepare much meat (I rely on fish and chicken and don't do much other than bake it). I am hoping to reset my body, challenge myself, feel happier and become leaner (am also working out 5-6 days a week.) 

The moms and dads on here are so motivating, I don't know how you manage kids and also cooking and prepping for this! Feel free to share any quick and easy meal ideas :)  I made nom nom paelo's asian beef lettuce cups last night

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1710952680/asian-ground-beef-mushroom-and-broccoli-slaw-lettuce

was very satisfying and i put some in an omelette this morning! 

here we go!!! 

Day 2 and still a bit of a headache, will press on though.  Still feel tired and in need of a nap, but I'm trying not to do that so that I sleep better at night. For those of you who have done previous W30, have you noticed better sleep? I ate pretty good today, only when hungry and just the good stuff. 

Have a great day three!

I did notice better sleep but not right away. I want to say that my sleep improved midway through week 2 but everyone is different. Just keep on keeping on and stay hydrated. One thing worth mentioning is salt intake, do not be afraid to salt your food. Your body needs sodium and we are all getting far less than normal now that processed foods are out. 

Archived