Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

I also worry that I am eating too much at times. I will eat a big meal and feel full but it doesn't seem to last me for several hours, especially from lunch to dinner. So I still snack on nuts and fruit, but I'm controlling the portions. I also have difficulty eating breakfast within an hour of waking up. I try to eat something right away but find I end up eating small amounts over an extended period while I'm getting ready for work, driving there, and even when I first get in. So I guess I still have a lot of fine tuning to do. For me, it's a matter of figuring out what the priorities are because it's a lot of changes to make all at once. 

Don't worry about volume so much right now, focus on getting to a place where you can eat 3 template meals a day. Snacking on nuts and fruits will not help you. If you need a snack it should be a mini meal containing protein, vegetable, and fat (an example would be a hard boiled egg with carrot sticks and a little mayo). Make sure all your meals fit the template especially if you are getting hungry again quickly. This suggests to me not enough fat but without seeing your log I can't be sure. Limit our fruit to 1-2 servings a day only with a main meal. 

As for meal 1 your approach is close to what I would suggest however we want you to eat mindfully and this looks a bit more like meal 1 grazing. Eat something upon waking if you don't feel like eating an entire meal and then prepare a template meal and sit down to eat it when you do feel like eating.

If you are having trouble finishing an entire template meal in one sitting just make sure you eat around the plate evenly (don't just eat your protein before touching the rest) and then save the rest for a mini meal if you get hungry before your next planned meal. Work up to getting 3 template meals 5-6 hours apart.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started Jan. 2nd too, and right on schedule, I dreamt of frozen pizzas last night! I was like, "Brain, can't you dream about something more delicious than frozen pizza? At least real pizza?" :)

But also right on schedule, I'm feeling good and have plenty of energy to keep up with and breastfeed my 5.5 month old! Hooray!

Am I the only one without crazy food dreams??? LOL! I don't want them! It will just make me think of food.

I actually think I'm sick, WTF? I never get sick! Yet here I am with a scratchy throat, a cough, and a stuffy nose. Ugh......

Yesterday I had my first energy spike! I worked, worked out, added some handstands and sit ups at the end of my WOD, and still thought "maybe I should go run some hills?" On my way home.

I also successfully avoided food triggers at target and whole foods untilllll my boyfriend kissed me with chocolate in his mouth. I almost started crying I was so unhappy :/

I can't believe the first 2 weeks have been so easy (so far).  It helps that my spousal equivalent (I'm too old to say "boyfriend") is being supportive and not tempting me with adult beverages.  As for the food, I am loving it.  I am a little burned out on cooking even though virtually all of my recipes are E-A-S-Y, but last weekend I spent hours in the kitchen roasting veggies and meats.  Thankfully, I have a small TV in there so I didn't miss any football action!

People have been telling me I look great, which is really nice.  I suppose it's related to the fact that I feel great.  Duh.  I have at least 20lbs to lose, so I have a way to go, but I'm not stepping on the evil scale - that's another destructive addiction for me.

Tonight, workout followed by some yummy compliant meal.  Haven't made a curry yet - will see if I can whip up a quick one. 

Have a great day everyone!

For me it hasn't been too bad as far as the food choices.  Unfortunately, I've had three migraines in the two weeks, so I'm not getting any comments about looking good! Then the side effects of the migraine meds aren't so pleasing.  As a result, I am trying to be so picky about what I eat.  I think it might be the cashews.  So no more nuts for me.  Sleep is better with the melotonin! 

Two weeks in and going strong. Survived the 80th birthday party and being surrounded by food and booze. I drank water and took my own delicious whole30 food. However, I have been tempted to jump on the scale for the first time in 2 weeks. But I'd rather give in to that than pick up a glass of wine!

Tonight I have had chocolate chilli with a side of cauliflower rice and baby leaf spinach. I had some left over coconut milk (the thick creamy part) so I just enjoyed that on a few blueberries and a couple of strawberries. Not in season, but in my fridge as a treat for my son's birthday packed lunch.

Tomorrow, everyone is having fish and chips and birthday cake (except me). I will not cave!!!

Just want to connect and say that things are going well.  Food remains relatively easy, except for sometimes having to cook when I don't feel like it!  Haven't eaten out during this 2 weeks, except for breakfast at the dreaded diner this morning.  I decided to look calmly at the menu to see how close I could get to eggs and veggies, and ended up with a 3 egg omelet with onions and broccoli, no toast, no potatoes.  Worked out just fine!  Dinner out - either at a restaurant or someone's home feels like the biggest challenge, and so far I have avoided it by cooking and inviting friends to my house instead.  I have another breakfast meeting on Friday, but it is at a lovely local place where I know I can order an omelet with avocado in it, and the food is really good quality.  The coffee there is also good quality, and I have not been drinking any.  That will require some discipline! 

I feel overall in a more positive frame of mind, and activated not so much physically, as mentally and emotionally.  But that's my style anyway!  A little more physical activation would be just fine...

Still going strong here! Honestly, I feel great. I started working out after school with some other teachers, and I have had plenty of energy to get through some tough workouts. I haven't lost much weight - going by how my clothes fit - but I'm hopeful that will soon follow. 

Made an egg casserole with spinach, shredded sweet potato, coconut milk, and ground pork. Awesome and easy breakfast for the week. I have some shredded cabbage with ground beef, tomato, and avocado for lunch. Love not feeling hungry in-between meals. I feel so much more peaceful not getting ravenous in the middle of teaching. 

Would still love to get some more sleep, but not much I can do right now.

Woke up today without a headache! Thank God.  I have had a headache for three days- kinda like the type you get with a bad hangover. I have felt very energetic and alert the last couple of days (except for the headache) and hope it continues. I certainly feel like I need a break from cooking because it is constant, however I feel so good I don't want to chance eating something with non compliant oil, etc at a restaurant. Now that I am starting to feel good, I think I may continue this for much longer then 30 days allowing a cheat here and there.  I hope everyone else is feeling as good as I am. 

I'm also not sure how the carbs in fruit compare to carbs in starchy veg (which I can generally take or leave); this morning I ate sweet potato rather than fruit, and while from a fuel perspective it was ok, it was in no way as pleasing a meal.

I suspect you're better off with fresh fruit. Depending on the kind, it has either very little sugar (raspberry) or quite a lot (grapes). I believe sweet potatoes might be on the heavier side. Fruit has more water, and possibly fiber and vitamins. If you think fruit is too much sugar for you, I'd suggest you eat above-ground vegetables instead.

I actually think I'm sick, WTF? I never get sick! Yet here I am with a scratchy throat, a cough, and a stuffy nose. Ugh......

Sounds like carb flu...!

The coffee there is also good quality, and I have not been drinking any.  That will require some discipline! 

We're counting on you! ;) 

Have you noticed any effect from abstaining from coffee? I feel just the same without my tea. After the first days I stopped missing it, but I haven't been calmer either... I don't sleep more easily and my weekends have been just as anxious as they use to.

I'm working on my sleep and my physical activity. I went to the swimming pool, for the first time in years! I'm so ridiculously proud of myself. I already bought my pass for the next three Mondays, plus some nice gear. Can't wait to return!  :)

As for sleep, for two nights I've been keeping my commitment to stop reading at 10 PM, and it's worked. Though I had the feeling that I was getting restless with thoughts, I must've actually fallen asleep earlier, as I woke up more refreshed.

I have a hard time limiting dried fruit, so there is none of it in the house for W30. But when it comes to fresh fruit, I think I just like it more than most people, especially, as you said, when it's in season and gorgeous. Here we don't get many things 12 months round as in the US; you eat it in season or wait til next year.

I'm also not sure how the carbs in fruit compare to carbs in starchy veg (which I can generally take or leave); this morning I ate sweet potato rather than fruit, and while from a fuel perspective it was ok, it was in no way as pleasing a meal.

I suspect you're better off with fresh fruit. Depending on the kind, it has either very little sugar (raspberry) or quite a lot (grapes). I believe sweet potatoes might be on the heavier side. Fruit has more water, and possibly fiber and vitamins. If you think fruit is too much sugar for you, I'd suggest you eat above-ground vegetables instead.

The meal template suggests 1-2 servings of fruit daily as part of a meal or at the end of the meal. There is nothing wrong with fruit but it is not as nutrient dense as vegetables and it shouldn't be pushing vegetables off your plate. That said, I know that certain allowances can be made when fruit is in season. Fresh fruit is better than dried fruit for sure. But starchy vegetables are what we advice for energy/carb increase. I hope that all made sense. I know before going paleo I would always reach for fruits over veggies but now I find I generally don't crave them as much and often forget to eat them even when I planned to. However when honeycrisp apples or cherries are in season you might see a different animal. ;)

I am proud of everyone for getting halfway!! I am still snacking too much, and having more like 3 servings of fruit per day. I work out everyday, so I am hoping having too much fruit isn't hindering my progress. 

I am also so tempted to step on the scale! I just want to know that this is making a difference with my body. I haven't been able to tell a difference in my clothing, but I've been working so hard on my diet and in the gym, and really think it would help to avoid any pitfalls on a trip to NY this weekend if I had the extra motivation of losing a few pounds!! 

I am proud of everyone for getting halfway!! I am still snacking too much, and having more like 3 servings of fruit per day. I work out everyday, so I am hoping having too much fruit isn't hindering my progress. 

I am also so tempted to step on the scale! I just want to know that this is making a difference with my body. I haven't been able to tell a difference in my clothing, but I've been working so hard on my diet and in the gym, and really think it would help to avoid any pitfalls on a trip to NY this weekend if I had the extra motivation of losing a few pounds!! 

Step away from the scale!! What happens if it says something you don't like? Will that negate any other positive things you have seen so far? Weight is such a poor measure of health in the grand scheme of things. Give the program its proper 30 days. I would try to limit your fruit to 2 servings a day. If you really can't just make sure you are not snacking on it and it is not pushing vegetables off your plate. Too much fruit can actually make you more hungry as well. If you are working out a lot are you having appropriate pre and post workout meals?

Hello everyone. Yesterday was my son's birthday. I now have a teen in my house :/

There were pain au chocolat for breakfast. In the evening, family visited and the house was full of delicious fish and chip smells and a giant Jaffa Cake birthday cake. I had a couple of chicken thighs with salad and homemade mayo. Oh yeah!! It's getting easier to ignore the junk. A phrase from an ebook called 'Ditch the Diet' over here is stuck in my head. It has very Paleo type principles and refers to margarine and processed foods as 'chemical sh*t storms'. I've found that useful when surrounded by sausage rolls, pizza slices and tubes of Princes :)

Day 16 begins in a bit with some slow roasted pork reheated in coconut oil until crispy with a few veggies on the side and maybe the last few fresh blueberries.

I have been neglecting fish. I really must have a lunch containing some kind of oily fish. I think I've had white fish once in the last 15 days and no oily fish at all! Bad girl.

I found a recipe for liver pate yesterday. I think I will try this as a way to introduce organ meats into my diet. Probably next week some time.

Have a great whole30 day :)

I just heard Adam Farrah referring to junk food as "maybe 2 steps above plastic". Another expression to keep in mind when tempted.  ;)

After all, why should we have words like "delicious" when we talk about foods that don't do us good, and feel deprived when we eat real food instead? Poor them, our kids and spouses and friends, who still need those sugar blasts and salt assaults to feel some pleasure from food. To quote Daniel Amen, "I love the food that loves me back".

(If you wonder about the quotes, I'm a total podcast junkie.  :D  By the way, what are your favorite podcasts, blogs and other Paleo resources...?)

Halfway done! What changes have you noticed??

Today I experienced a miracle. Because of semester exams, my lunch is an hour later than usual, so I eat breakfast at 6am and newlunchtime at 11:30, and even though I was legitimately HUNGRY, I felt so in control.

My clothes are definitely looser and my body is definitely leaner which is what I wanted - to show off my muscles!

I am a little overwhelmed by the idea of two more weeks of cooking (my boyfriend and I usually share cooking responsibilities and eat our a few times a week, but I have found it easier to just cook everything myself and at home). On the other hand, tonight we're having a dinner for four that I'm making that works with four totally different appetites (1 whole30, 1 vegetarian, 1 gluten free vegan, 1 SAD) - real pasta for the men, zoodles for the ladies, and a sweet potato baked apple casserole that has changed my life (from the joy of cooking. It has sweet potatoes, apples, and then I added a quarter cup of dates, raisins, and pecans - it sounds like a lot but spread between 8 servings that is 1/10 of a cup of 'extras').

Lastly I think I'm done with coffee...I used to drink 20 oz a day, and I've cut down to about 12, and I think I'm going to cut even more (will have to start French pressing because my boyfriends monsterous machine really won't make less than 3 cups). When I finish my breakfast, I want water, and I never finish my coffee now. Crazy!

Beli, report back on coffee!  I did have my breakfast out this morning without any.  The general effect for me of not drinking coffee is in terms of blood sugar.  When I have coffee I inevitably have a hypoglycemic type crash in the later morning, feel starving and generally more jangled, etc.  Even though I'm drinking black or green tea, I do find that this is not occurring.  Also, I think that consciously using fats in the W30 also contributes to a much more stable blood sugar level for me.  No more afternoon sleepy, foggy crashes either!

I am finding this way of life to be fairly easy except for the large amount of time spent in the kitchen everyday. I guess that is better then a future spent in the hospital from eating the normal garbage that is considered food in the USA. I feel really good, have lots of energy, and all of the bloat is gone. I am looking forward to the next 2 wks!

Flamingo, congratulations!

I had no idea coffee had an effect on blood sugar. Glad you see these results!

Lifes-a-trip, Iamspacey: So you're seeing the Magic kicking in, good for you!

For me, things aren't moving so much. In particular, I still have that bloated tummy most of the time. I don't know if my gut needs more time to heal or if I might be sensitive to some otherwise compliant foods. I'm thinking I'll complete my Whole30 and then directly start a second one where I'll remove eggs and nightshades. And at the end of that period I'll try reintroducing one thing at a time.

For breakfast I had cooked tomatoes with eggs, and all morning my head and ears ached. I had never noticed that effect, I don't know if it might be from the food.

NOOOOOO!!!! I just found out that the homemade venison jerky my brother made has both sugar *and* soy in it! I've been noshing on this for my post-workout snack. I'm 16 days in, people... WHAT TO DO? 

Do I restart to give my body the complete reset? Or continue on (not eating the jerky, of course) because I was still following the intent of W30? What if I never found out what went in his jerky? 

I don't know if it matters, but I eat Primal about 85-90% of the time (except for my faltering during the holidays), and have been for the past 1-1/2 yrs or so. So this W30 is not about me reversing 20+ years of bad habits... it was more about cleaning up/resetting for a new year.

Thoughts??

Sooo this is my first time posting.  I started this on Jan 2 with my brother and am on day 16.  I feel amazing.  Now that the cravings are gone, I am really enjoying the food I am cooking and the sweetness of a berry - how refreshing to not need chocolate to get a sweet taste in my mouth! 

NOOOOOO!!!! I just found out that the homemade venison jerky my brother made has both sugar *and* soy in it! I've been noshing on this for my post-workout snack. I'm 16 days in, people... WHAT TO DO? 

Do I restart to give my body the complete reset? Or continue on (not eating the jerky, of course) because I was still following the intent of W30? What if I never found out what went in his jerky? 

I don't know if it matters, but I eat Primal about 85-90% of the time (except for my faltering during the holidays), and have been for the past 1-1/2 yrs or so. So this W30 is not about me reversing 20+ years of bad habits... it was more about cleaning up/resetting for a new year.

Thoughts??

If it were just sugar I would say carry on buy soy does constitute a restart because it is a common stomach irritant. :( Instead of thinking of it as a restart think of it as an extension. That is the official ruling on such things. 

If it were just sugar I would say carry on buy soy does constitute a restart because it is a common stomach irritant. :( Instead of thinking of it as a restart think of it as an extension. That is the official ruling on such things. 

I like the idea of an extension, sounds so much better than a restart.  Eating this way has become easier and more enjoyable this time.  There are only a couple things that I really miss that I'll try after my 30 days, but it's getting better.  The best thing that I have noticed is greatly reduced hotflashes.  Hopefully the chronic migraine/headach will resolve itself in the next week.  

Getting ready to do my weekend planning for next week.  That helps so much.  

As far as exercise, I'm going to be doing water aquatics with my mom.  Once, that gets going well I"ll add some harder stuff.  I've had some physical limitations for awhile, so I want to ease into exercise.  My daughter was just asking me to do a "booty camp" class for eight weeks.  Well, maybe the next session.

Still going strong here! Honestly, I feel great. I started working out after school with some other teachers, and I have had plenty of energy to get through some tough workouts. I haven't lost much weight - going by how my clothes fit - but I'm hopeful that will soon follow. 

Made an egg casserole with spinach, shredded sweet potato, coconut milk, and ground pork. Awesome and easy breakfast for the week. I have some shredded cabbage with ground beef, tomato, and avocado for lunch. Love not feeling hungry in-between meals. I feel so much more peaceful not getting ravenous in the middle of teaching. 

Would still love to get some more sleep, but not much I can do right now.

Could you share your egg casserole recipe?

Archived