Macadamia nuts that "may contain peanut, milk, soy, wheat"?

mrssmoh

It means they were processed in a plant that also processes products or ingredients in that list. It's mostly a safeguard for people with serious allergies or celiac. The chances are high that there is no measurable amount of those ingredients in your nuts because machines are cleaned very well between batches. AFAIK, so long as you don't have those problems, it's probably ok to eat the macadamias.

Mini-rant about this: I shop at Whole Foods, but I really have a hard time with the fact that most of their stuff is marked that way. They use shared equipment for everything, except for their gluten-free baked goods. And at my local Whole Foods, they put the gluten-free packaged foods section almost next to the wheat grinder, right near the produce. I complained about it and their response was, "We can retrieve products from the shelves for you if you don't want to go near the wheat." They push the grain/legume/plant oil "Health Starts Here" agenda at WF now, and that is their main focus. Sigh. But I still shop there because they have most of what I need. I told one employee that their slogan should be "Health Ends Here," because so many of their products now contain sugar and wheat.

Archived