Just started and I already miss my chocolate!!

hncotton

Hi, my name is Heather. I'm 31, single mom from Hampton, VA. I just started Whole30 yesterday, and so far I've done well...yes, I know it's only day 2! I'm trying to be strong and not give in to my chocolate oranges. I'm actually giving them away. My highest weight is 226 lbs. I'm currently 213. My goal weight is at least 120 lbs. The beginning of last year, I started running (before that I had trouble even walking a mile!) and completed my first race, an 8k, in March of 2012. Since then, I have completed 2 half marathons, along with several other races. I am now training for my 3rd half marathon that's in March. I was definitely in need of changing things up so Whole30 is probably the right thing for me. I have chronic, severe migraines which I take medications for, but I hate the side effects that they have and I hate taking medicine, period. I have a friend who has done it a few times and highly recommends it, and I've seen some of the testimonials from people on the site, and I'm very hopeful this is the right thing for me as well. I would like to change my eating habits for good and get healthier and in better shape, so I can continue to run in races and eventually complete a full marathon. Wish me luck!

Welcome to the W30! Definitely get rid of those chocolate oranges and any other tempting non-compliant foods in your house. It will make it easier to resist if it isn't there. 

Do be prepared for a slight decrease in your running performance as you transition. This is normal and can last up to 2 weeks. It will be so much better on the other side though. Make sure you have good starchy veggies on your running days preferably not right before you run as that will keep you dependent on carbs for running fuel. 

Hi Heather!

I'm glad you're here and I just wanted to encourage you to stay strong.  Definitely giving away those chocolate oranges is a good idea.  I know it's hard to give up foods you love but just remember that you only have to be this strict for 30 days.  After that, you can loosen up a little.

I too hope this will be the thing for you.  So far it's working well for me.  I'm on day 13 and going strong.

All the best!

Annette

Hey There!

Good for you for starting a whole 30.  This is the kindest most nicest thing you can do to heal your body.  So giving away the chocolate is a good thing.  Rather than having the mindset of I can't have...... Try to focus on the delicious foods you can have.

I am a long-term migraine sufferer myself.  Do you know if they are hormone related?  For a lot of women they are.  I had a lot of luck with the whole 30 alleviating my migraines, but since I had years of messed up eating, and years of my body telling me something was off, I had a lot of healing to do.  So just take it one day at a time, and be patient with the process.

FYI - I am 6 weeks into training of running my first 5k.  I can now run 5 mins without much problems, whereas 6 weeks ago I had a difficult time with 30 seconds.  Way to go on training for your 3rd half marathon!

Archived