Runny Nose, Phlem in throat, Cough on AIP

Help! I have been on AIP since Oct. 1. I have been very careful to avoid all forbidden foods. Recently I added Kombucha to have a probiotic. I have been feeling good lately, but in the past 2 weeks I have noticed a lot of post nasal drip leaving phlem in my throat, and blowing my nose frequently, and a cough because of the phlem..(sorry for the graphic, but you need to know in order to help...)

What is going on? Is it the Kombucha (which I have not had before in my life?) Or could it be my body getting rid of toxins? It is so weird, since I am feeling improvement in my body in so many areas, but this is an annoying problem(coughing and having crud in my throat all day!)

Interesting. I've never had that reaction to kombucha and haven't read about it in anyone else, though maybe you're special! :) If you otherwise feel fine, is the weather changing where you are? I've been more sniffly than usual just because our weather has been crazy.

It is probably a cold or flu bug. Sometimes, bad things happen to people who are eating good food.

Thanks Tom and Jent103...I have been thinking that I might have an infection - it's just been so long since I've been sick that I kinda felt invincible!

The weather here in Boston has been very changeable - really cold to mild to snow...

Well, at least I dont have a fever and muscle aches, so I will keep eating well and take it a little easier. 

And I am sure the kombucha is helping me, not causing problems - I just am new to drinking it, so have no personal experience until now.

Your symptoms sound more like sinusitis rather than a flu or cold, since you said you do not have fever or aches. Sinusitis could be the result of an allergy and can be inflammatory or end up as an infection. You are most likely reacting to something in the environment, but it could be anything new you introduced into your diet. You could experiment by stopping the kombucha for several days/week to see if your symptoms resolve. With that said, I have not heard of allergic reactions to kombucha, but those are the symptoms I get from drinking milk.

To help with your symptoms, I strongly recommend a neti pot! Maybe a little difficult to get used to using at first, but it helps immensely to flush those sinuses!

Edited:grammar

thanks, everyone! nothing sneaking in the kombucha, and I havent had dairy in more than 2 months. 

A neti pot seems to be a good idea. I will look into that.

I havent had to blow my nose this often in years, and I am reminded why I take care of myself! I cant imagine being sick several times per year, when once in 2 years is bad enough!

I just hope I dont need an antibiotic, after I have worked so long to heal my gut and fill it with the good microbes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived