Day 2- ZzZzzZ

redruns

Wow! Yesterday was my first day on the program. I stood by all the good food guidelines. But I'm in he middle of reading It Starts with Food so I had no idea I wasn't supposed to snack... Oops! This is something I'm looking forward to stopping.

By 3 pm yesterday I had a raging headache and stopped at Chipotle because I don't have any good sources of protein at home. I ate that and felt pretty full. I went to babysit and ended up eating some carrots with the girls (snacking errrr). I resisted the urge to eat their carbolicious goodies... Yay! Usually that is a binge for me. I still maintained the headache and on the way home was so nauseous I thought I was going to throw up!

I went straight to bed and woke up this morning at 630. I wasn't hungry so I made myself some scrambled eggs, spinach, and red peppers. To my surprise I fell back asleep for 3-4 hours. I have since made myself meal number 2- chicken breast and sautéed zucchini and yellow squash.

I guess I'm very surprised how exhausted I am and I'm hoping the nausea and headaches are able to be kept at bay!

Hope everyone is doing well on their challenges!

I'm very on the fence with the whole no snacking issue. Sometimes between meals I get ravenously hungry. And at my three meals I eat until I am full, with a great mix of proteins and fats to satiate me (so I'm really sure I'm eating enough), but I'm just not psychologically, and of course physically, comfortable with stuffing my face even further in order to stave off potential snack hunger. In my head, eating beyond fullness is bad for my body and is "preventive eating" and in my specific context it just isn't mentally healthy. I eat until I am truly full of dense, nutrient-heavy, satiating foods. If I'm hungry three hours later, I will eat a snack. I know it's a break from the rules, but it's something that works for my life. I don't have a planned snacktime, this would set it up as a routine, and I do try to avoid that. But I always have an emergency snack to chomp on if ravenous hunger hits. Some days I need it, some days I make it through to dinner just fine.

So I'm not sure this was helpful, I guess my message was that I really wouldn't beat yourself up for carrots (I mean, think about it. In what world besides Whole30 are you second-guessing munching on carrots?)There are no Whole30 police to come and get you. Don't do anything that makes you feel so terrible that it distracts from the purpose of this challenge!

• Moderators

Just to clarify, snacking is not against the Whole30 rules. The Whole30 asks you to eat at least 3 meals per day, but eating more often is okay. ISWF advises spacing meals 4-5 hours apart and eating enough at each one to carry you through, but encourages eating if you are hungry. I ate 5-6 meals per day for the first year I followed the Whole30 approach and only worked down to 3 meals per day within the last few months.

• 5 months later...

Archived