Hair, Skin, Nails Supplement

Veon

Does anyone have a good Hair/Skin/Nails supplement to recommend?  I'm not sure if I should take straight biotin or if I want one of the fancy mixes with B vitamins, etc.  

I'm sure it's controversial whether these actually work, but I'm hoping to give my body a good boost and add some inches to my locks! 

Otherwise I take magnesium, fish oil, Vitamin D, and (unfortunately) oral contraceptives daily.

Thanks!

Check out this article. Foods that can help with healthy hair, skin, nails, most of which (except the legumes, grains and bad oils) you'll eat on a Whole30. http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/2008/june/8-steps-to-healthy-skin-hair-and-nails

I agree with Shannon. Do a Whole30 first, get your nutrients from real whole food, and see how you do in 30 days.

Bone Broth! When you let animal bones simmer for 24-48 hours, it breaks down the bones and leeches all the minerals out, which is great for promoting strong bones, plus if you use knuckle bones from cows, you get collagen and gelatin, which are awesome for growing healthy nails and hair, as well as repairing joints. You can use it for the base of soups, stews, sauces, or just drink it plain with some salt added. I make my bone broth in the crock pot with previously roasted beef or chicken bones, 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery, 1 onion with skin cut into quarters, 2-3 cloves garlic, 2-3 bay leaves, a palmful of whole peppercorns, and maybe some parsley if I have it laying around.

I've been Paleo/Primal for over two years, and this is my 3rd committed Whole30 (I'm actually throwing down for a Whole100 this time!).

I had a stressful fall and fell off the wagon for the holidays, so I was hoping to inject some supplements to give me a quick boost.  

Realistically I won't be spot on Paleo for the rest of my life, so the hair situation I have now likely won't change much based on diet (nothing is wrong, I just can't seem to grow it past a certain point without it getting damaged).

Still open to suggestions though if someone is actually taking these types of supplements or has a hair routine they find beneficial for long growth.

I am taking a collagen supplement, here: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Hydrolysate-individuals/dp/B005KG7EDU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388975279&sr=8-2&keywords=great+lakes+gelatin

I have only been on it for a week, so I'm sorry I can't report any results yet. I have very weak nails and I'm hoping this will help. I'll give it a few months to see. It mixes in great with my coffee and tea.

Here's a thread where people were talking about gelatin:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12033-how-do-you-take-greak-lakes-gelatin/?hl=greak

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived