Am I limiting my fruit intake enough?

jalvarez3312

Hi all! So excited to be on day 2 of my first whole30 and I want to make sure I am really on track. I know I relied on sugar a lot for energy before, and I want to make sure I don't fall into the trap. Sometimes it is hard for me to get veg in the morning so I have a juice with my omelet and usually avocado and or bacon. The juice consists of kale, celery, ginger, cucumber, 1 green apple and 1 lemon. Is this too much fruit - it makes about a 14 oz serving and is not overly sweet. What about cooking with fruit? One of my fave recipes for roasted sprouts is cooked with the juice of 1/2 an orange and served with the zest. I am not a huge lover of sprouts so this is a way that makes them palatable to me but I don't want to be accidentally messing myself up and not getting the full benefits of the whole30. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I wouldn't consider this too much. For myself, I cut out most fruit too as I'm working through some serious sugar addiction (emotional dependency mostly), but I know many people have 1-2 servings a day. The key is to have it with your meals, not as a treat. It sounds like you're doing fine with that part.

As suggestion though, smoothies aren't generally recommended because drinking food is not as satisfying as chewing it. Try tossing some of that kale, and even apple, right into your omelette.

If time is an issue, precook some veggies the night before and then they will just need to be warmed up as your eggs cook.

KatMar - thank you so much for the reply! That all makes sense. I am not a huge kale lover, but I know it has a lot of health benefits - that's why I was trying to squeeze it in my juice. I think I will stick to spinach in my omelette and try to limit the juice to maybe 2-3 times a wk.

KatMar - thank you so much for the reply! That all makes sense. I am not a huge kale lover, but I know it has a lot of health benefits - that's why I was trying to squeeze it in my juice. I think I will stick to spinach in my omelette and try to limit the juice to maybe 2-3 times a wk.

Cooking with juice as a flavoring in a Whole30 is fine. Drinking it as a beverage is not.

Again, we want to you eat/chew fruit, and limit it to 1-2 servings a day.  A fruit serving is whole fruit in the size of your fist.

Have you tried kale chips? Technically they are whole30 compliant but could be considered a no breaks food. Cut up some kale and put it in a bowl with some coconut oil and salt (sometimes I melt the coconut oil first). Then spread out onto a cookie sheet in a single layer with a silpat liner or parchment paper and bake at 350 for 10 - 15 min until crisp. You can also use a food dehydrator if you have one. These are a no breaks food for me so I am not having them until the end of my whole30. Enjoy!

Archived