Do I need to start over?

reneenee

I was with family this morning for breakfast that wasn't cooked by me and was lead to believe that the food was "whole30 friendly", but realized about halfway through my meal that the sausage had sugar and cheese in it! Also, the eggs were cooked in butter, not ghee. Ugh, I'm a bit disheartened as I am on day 6 and was feeling so proud of myself, and strong. I did not finish eating the sausage on my plate (had about approx 1/4 of a link), but I ate the 2 eggs, cooked in butter. 

My question is do I need to re-start my W30 now because of these "exposures"?  

Thank you in advance for any input. I appreciate it. 

Technically yes, dairy is one of those that you really need 30 days without to get a clear picture. You could extend your whole30 another 6 days, or, if you prefer, you could reintro other things, but save dairy until after day 36. Sugar isn't such a huge deal, just be more careful in the future.

I'm super careful with my food, it just gets weird with family gatherings as I don't want to get super picky and seem ungrateful about the food I am served (I already am picky, in their eyes). I learned a valuable lesson that I should make sure and eat before-hand. It happened to be an awkward, unusual situation and I learned from it now. I'm just so bummed about this as all my efforts seem wasted now, and it wasn't even by choice. I would have chosen something that I really love, like a cappuccino or something, if I was going to "derail".

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I would look at it as just a learning opportunity. I had to add 7 days in the summer due to milk in my eggs that I wasn't aware of  - it truly just made me stronger through the process. Sounds like you are doing great. Do not beat yourself up - you had really good intentions!

Thank you missmary and bep0819.

I plan to "add" 6 days to my W30, actually I plan to just keep going on until something is truly "worth it". I've done this twice before and I know exactly which foods are problematic, therefore I don't plan to do the "reintroduction phase" again. Now it's about 10 days since my accidental dairy and sugar exposure. I've looked at it as a learning experience and I don't need to beat myself up over it. Life happens, it's how you respond to it that matters. Thanks again guys!

Archived